Heatsink Bracing

Cooling Processors quietly

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

cyberspyder

Heatsink Bracing

Post by cyberspyder » Tue Apr 10, 2012 8:55 pm

Ingenious if I may say so, 30# test cable (believe it or not, temps did go down as the weight of the cooler was pulling the sink away from the cores on top):

Brendan

m0002a

Re: Heatsink Bracing

Post by m0002a » Tue Apr 10, 2012 11:06 pm

Speaking of coolers being pulled away from the CPU:

On my newest machine, I have an Intel 2500K CPU with 1155 Asus motherboard. I am using a XIGMATEK AEGIR cooler. The mounting system for this uses fairly traditional bolts and nuts.

Previously I had only built AMD systems with the spring clip CPU cooler mounting, which I think was a far superior mechanism in that the spring puts constant tension on the cooler against the CPU.

ntavlas

Post by ntavlas » Wed Apr 11, 2012 2:51 am

I had to resort to the same solution when I installed a tower cooler on my socket A cpu :)

The improvement was phenomenal, the temps of my 2ghz barton got lowered by 18 degrees c. One the other hand, a ninja v1 installed on a more modern machine (s775) with a thermalright bolt through kit, didn`t seem to benefit from this. I guess the springs used by thermalright were providing enough tension to keep the cooler base parallel to the cpu.

CA_Steve

Post by CA_Steve » Wed Apr 11, 2012 5:30 am

Fishing jokes are running through my head. :D

Nice solution, though.

ces

Post by ces » Wed Apr 11, 2012 11:21 am

Scythe "NINJA WIRE" to Prevent CPU Cooler Stress on Motherboards

viewtopic.php?p=557595#p557595

cyberspyder

Post by cyberspyder » Thu Apr 12, 2012 7:07 pm

I paid $3 for 6 braided steel leaders (Wal Mart), I think that is a much better deal than $8.5 for one plus shipping TBH.

cyberspyder

Post by cyberspyder » Wed Dec 19, 2012 9:14 pm

Here's the same thing done to my videocard!
Finally we have reached the penultimate update of the silent Lian Li! I got my Arctic Cooling S1 Plus heatsink at last and installed it a few nights ago. I thought their G1 thermal adhesive was going to be hard to work with as after I applied pressure and let go, the VRM sinks slid around, but luckily after curing for a few hours they didn't fall off and I was able to mount the actual VGA sink. First off, it's BIG, but not ginormously so, thus most cases will be able to swallow it. Secondly you really do have to check the heights of any capacitors on the board itself, as it JUST clears the tops of the capacitors on my MSI 7770:

View from the front intakes, relatively unimpeded, straight to the two passive sinks. I may build a duct for the bottom fan to channel air directly to the GPU and out the exhaust, but temps look fine at the moment, we'll see.

I used MSI's Kombustor to stress the GPU for an hour, and as you can see the max temps reported by Afterburner (and Hardware Monitor) was around 75C (it plateaued there and wouldn't go higher, and in fact started to drop).

View from bottom intake.

View from top intake.

I had some braided wire left over from suspending my Ninja and used it to brace the GPU sink as well. Instead of drooping down, it hangs perfectly parallel.

Close!

Brendan

flemeister

Post by flemeister » Thu Dec 20, 2012 4:38 am

Re-useable cable tie + twist tie is all you need! Here it is in action for video cards, but same principle for CPU heatsinks: