H77 Chipset cooler.. Advise please!

Cooling Processors quietly

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Copyright

H77 Chipset cooler.. Advise please!

Post by Copyright » Wed Sep 11, 2013 7:43 am

Just finished up my HTPC and everything seems great but the heatsink for the chipset on the motherboard is very hot to the touch. I think it could benefit from something aftermarket but not sure what would fit. The typical northbridge coolers look almost to large to fit. The board I am using is the Asus P8H77-i. Thanks for any advice!

Something like this but that would actually work on my board would be ideal...

http://www.heatsinkfactory.com/enzotech ... 16581.html

OR

http://www.heatsinkfactory.com/enzotech ... 16492.html

They look as if they would be to large to fit my setup....

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1780725

kater

Re: H77 Chipset cooler.. Advise please!

Post by kater » Wed Sep 11, 2013 10:05 am

I wouldn't worry about that at all. "Very hot to touch" could just mean 60 C. 70 C would be scalding, really. Anyway, such temps won't hurt your chipset. Chipset chips (hurr durr) are quite resilient to hi temps.
BTW, have you measured how hot it actually gets? Speedfan, AIDA64, HWINFO?

Anyway, for starters I'd simply ditch the flimsy plastic bolts with puny springs and instead use a proper bolt + nut assembly. Pressure is the key. If SPCR's CPU cooler tests teach us anything, is that pressure does matter.
While you're at it you could also remove the factory gop with some decent TIM.

The NB and SB (it's 775, baby) chips in my HTPC (or rather: my MKV-player-PC :E ) get hot as hell. Can only keep the finger there for 1-2 sec. Anyway, it's been running like that for several years now and I never had any problems with it. Well, truth be told, the little PC is usually on for 2-3 hrs at a time, no longer. Still, it's very weakly ventilated, with only one 12cm fan in the PSU, running at 600-700 RPM. Also, the CPU cooler fan will not start at all times (I like to live dangerously...). I once applied 2 small 40mm Scythe fans @ 5V to both heatsinks. Just for kicks. Well, the temps went down, there was no increase in noise, but also it didn't change anything in terms of reliability. Next time I was messing with the PC I took them out and stashed away.

Copyright

Post by Copyright » Wed Sep 11, 2013 10:23 am

Yeah, I think partly I am just looking for the next little project.. just something to mess with. It gets pretty hot to the touch yet the motherboard says its only like 38C which I find hard to believe because I can't keep my finger on it for long. Guess I will leave it be! Thx!

mkk

Post by mkk » Wed Sep 11, 2013 1:13 pm

Yeah, this chip also isn't doing very much in the latest generations since more and more have been moved onto the CPU.

The temperature reading is probably not from the chip but by some sensor "somewhere" on the surface of the board. Though often assumed, it's actually rare that a motherboard has a sensor on or directly near the main chip. They can handle a good amount of heat. Being an ITX system it might be worth having a look so that there aren't too many cables cluttering up the area, much depending on the design of the case of course.

Abula

Post by Abula » Wed Sep 11, 2013 1:52 pm

i would go with Enzotech CNB-S1 Forged Copper Chipset Cooler, as long as you can mount it and does proper contact, its not that expensive and much bigger then Asus small heatsink, and you do have room watching your build since the noctua is right on top.