i5 3570k fan noise

Cooling Processors quietly

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

zalky

i5 3570k fan noise

Post by zalky » Mon Apr 22, 2013 12:08 am

Hello all,

I have an i5 3570k with the stock fan and heat sink. And the fan does a weird whistling noise almost all the time. For some reason on certain speeds it doesn't do that sound, i don't know why. For example at around 1400 or 1200 rpm its OK, but a little lower or higher that sound starts. Is there a problem with the fan? or is it like that for all stock fans? Anything i can do to fix it?

I attached a sound file which has that sound recorded. When fan works at full speed its louder. Its not like it just blows air and u can hear it, that sound is louder...
The fan brand new... :(

Other than that my temperatures look fine, and i even use the integrated GPU. Around 22 C (73 F) idle and 49 C (120 F) at load.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

zalky

Re: i5 3570k fan noise

Post by zalky » Mon Apr 22, 2013 12:35 pm

OK i am updating this in case anyone has similar problem. In my case the problem is the 4 pins that attach to the motherboard. Every time i touch them with my hands (just a little) that sound is dramatically reduced. I put little rubber bands between those pins and the heat sink. It seems that they do reduce the sound a little. Anyone has any more tips?

albatros_la

Post by albatros_la » Fri May 03, 2013 2:08 am

zalky wrote:Anyone has any more tips?
Yes: change the heatsink, it is really bad. Mine does an awful noise, and also in my case the main issue is the attachment system: it is not well engineered, that's the truth. It does not cool as expected, and is noisy as a jet engine: well, for an heat sink I guess that means they missed the point! :mrgreen:

CA_Steve

Post by CA_Steve » Fri May 03, 2013 7:24 am

The locking push pin arrangement that's used for stock coolers...and unfortunately, many aftermarket coolers is just not that great. Try unlocking/resetting/locking the pins and see if it helps with the vibration induced noise. Or, consider replacing the stock cooler with an aftermarket cooler that has a backplate/more secure mount.