Is it just me or is this review lame

Cooling Processors quietly

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

andyb
Patron of SPCR

Is it just me or is this review lame

Post by andyb » Mon Jul 15, 2013 4:32 pm

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/best-heat ... 33-22.html

A little over a decade ago "Tom's Hardware" was the best alongside "AnandTech".

Tom's went lame many years ago, but has since regained my appreciation.

Please tell me if you think that I am being a little harsh on them. I specifically dropped you towards the end of the review to see what you think of the back end (the important stuff).

Personally I found it laughable that none of the testing was done with a noted room temperature and the degrees Celsius above room temp the CPU got to under XXX CPU cooler, thats when I stoppped trusting the review itself. Any thoughts.? Am I being a bit harsh.?

Andy

CA_Steve

Re: Is it just me or is this review lame

Post by CA_Steve » Mon Jul 15, 2013 6:32 pm

The big picture of 'air cooling sucks if you want to overvolt Haswell" comes across pretty well. Some of the finer points...like none of the coolers were operating with their fans at 12V when temps were recorded...but that's where the acoustic measurements were taken and now let's mix the two to create an efficiency chart is a little baffling.

Pappnaas

Post by Pappnaas » Mon Jul 15, 2013 10:01 pm

andyb wrote:Tom's went lame many years ago, but has since regained my appreciation.
THG hasn't changed in recent years. They hired a bunch of new people with even less understanding than the ones that left. If you ask one of THG's Execs, he'll probably tell you that going deeper into serious technically sound reviews will annoy the main readers of THG, simply because they will not understand the contents.

IMHO THG is a page appealing to Joe-Average, keeping tests, reviews and all that on the lowest possible level without risking to feed too much info to their readers.

andyb
Patron of SPCR

Post by andyb » Tue Jul 16, 2013 7:57 am

I am glad its not just me that thinks that this review was lame. My point were the arbitrary selection of a cooler "failing" when the CPU temp gets to 100 degrees.... WTF. along those same lines they kept on complaining that they had problems keeping the test environment at a steady temperature, moronic.....

Andy

Blood
Friend of SPCR

Post by Blood » Fri Aug 02, 2013 12:11 pm

andyb wrote:http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/best-heat ... 33-22.html
Personally I found it laughable that none of the testing was done with a noted room temperature and the degrees Celsius above room temp the CPU got to under XXX CPU cooler
He did specific the temp as Celsius above room temp
CA_Steve wrote:The big picture of 'air cooling sucks if you want to overvolt Haswell" comes across pretty well. Some of the finer points...like none of the coolers were operating with their fans at 12V when temps were recorded...but that's where the acoustic measurements were taken and now let's mix the two to create an efficiency chart is a little baffling.
It would appear that temps were also taken with CPU at full load and fan running at full 12v.

I am not trying to appear as though I am a big fan of tomshardware. However, it is fair to acknowledge that they have recovered a bit from their absolute worth and are trying to be scientific. It is hard to find good HSF review these day and this article does have a few good points to note.