Thermalright HR-22, how to mount a second fan?

Cooling Processors quietly

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

NetTechie

Thermalright HR-22, how to mount a second fan?

Post by NetTechie » Mon Jan 13, 2014 2:57 am

The review mentions it worked well with a second fan. However, what fan mount brackets work on this heatsink? Does the HR-02 fan mounting kit work with the HR-22?

I could fit a second fan on it, because the case I ordered is the Silverstone FT02, and has a huge space behind the motherboard. Enough room to mount a second fan on it for a push-pull I think. If the mounts exist?
Last edited by NetTechie on Mon Jan 13, 2014 3:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

NetTechie

Re: Thermalright HR-22 second fan mount wires?

Post by NetTechie » Mon Jan 13, 2014 3:30 am

http://www.thermalright.com/html/produc ... clips.html

Looks like they aren't available...?

NetTechie

Re: Thermalright HR-22, how to mount a second fan?

Post by NetTechie » Mon Jan 13, 2014 4:07 am

I guess, if there is no other option, I could always zip tie it on.

NetTechie

Post by NetTechie » Mon Jan 13, 2014 5:02 am

Or, which is what I did... is order the ones for the other heatsinks. I got the ones "For MUX-120 series ( including True Spirit), VenomousX series, Arrow series, HR-02, Archon, and Shaman". Maybe they'll work. :?

Abula

Post by Abula » Mon Jan 13, 2014 8:05 am

My HR-22 did come with one fan mounting set of clips, the clips are different from my HR02 and the HR02 macho clips that i have seen included, so might be just for them. Now i ordered a Thermalright TY150 and it came with clips that work with HR-22, but this is a 150mm fan not a 140 or 120, so it will not match any other fan, but from here i would say that the standard HR02 clips should work on the HR22, it has the holes to mount them, but cross check it.

Now just a warning, the HR22 is a very big heatsink, that will go almost to the back of your case, in my build (click the link on my signature "desktop"), you will see there is no room for you to place a second fan, unless the CPU socket is placed more up front (dont know any consumer motherboard that has this), so its not viable dual fans in most standard cases/motherboards.

If you wish for dual fan setup, go with twin tower coolers, there are a lot of good options there, check the reviews on SPCR like
Phanteks PH-TC14PE Dual Fan CPU Heatsink
Noctua NH-D14 flagship dual-fan CPU cooler
Thermalright Silver Arrow Dual 14cm Fan Cooler
Prolimatech Genesis CPU Heatsink: Retaking the Crown

There is a new version of the NH-D14, with PWM fans and a little different the bottom of the fins, and there is also a revised Thermalright Silver Arrow coming soon with asymmetrical CPU mounting to occupy less space toward the PCIe slots (this is to not take the first pci). Both should hit retail this year, but no official announcement from either company into when.

Just as final comment, i have seen the Prolimatech Genesis on 3rd party sellers going very low on amazon, in SPCR reviews is one of the best and you also gain the cooling of you motherboard components, usually it was $80, now its $50 so at this price might be a good option, Prolimatech Megahalems Rev C. Intel CPU Heatsink, remember this comes with no fans, so you still need to buy them, Prolimatech Vortex slim 140s are pretty nice PWM fans for it (but you also need to buy the clips for the genesis)

NetTechie

Post by NetTechie » Mon Jan 13, 2014 10:27 am

Abula wrote:Now just a warning, the HR22 is a very big heatsink, that will go almost to the back of your case [...]
I think it wont, the Silverstone FT02 has a large space between the back of the motherboard where the connections are, and the back of the case where the case fan is. This is due to the fact that there is a channel in the top of the case basically, for all the motherboard wires to go through to the back of the case. That depth is what I'm counting on to be able to fit a second fan on. In reality, I have no way to check it. I'll just have to try to fit another on there when the case comes.

If I can't fit it on there, I could use the hose thing to the exhaust fan. But I'd rather not do that, since the main place for air to exit the case is the rear exhaust fan, since it is a positive pressure case design. Some air flows over the slots though, out that grille as well. Maybe a tad out the side by the PSU if my PSU doesn't completely cover that vent. But to block the flow out of the case seems potentially a bad idea. Then there'd be no flow, as the fans would be spinning against to much resistance, or that is my concern.

Atlantis 666

Post by Atlantis 666 » Sun Mar 23, 2014 4:59 am

Hi, does anyone know if HR 22 will fit in an Asrock Z87 extreme 6 AC? I'm afraid by the 2 VRM heatsink size. But i saw some pictures were it was placed over a Z87 Extreme 4 mobo (http://www.overclock.net/t/1437284/ther ... t-hr-22/20)

I want to give it a try for a fanless semifanless solution (until 55° are reached) with i5 4570!

Let me know if i'm OT.