Fan clip installation on Scythe Mugen 4 (or similar design)

Cooling Processors quietly

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

qualdoth

Fan clip installation on Scythe Mugen 4 (or similar design)

Post by qualdoth » Wed Jan 15, 2014 1:26 pm

I'm starting to put together my latest build and this will be the first time I'm using a CPU Cooler that utilizes the type of fan clips found in a Scythe Mugen 4 to mate the fan to the heatsink assembly. Yes, it's been a few years since I built a machine and the coolers I've used before had different mounting systems to keep the fan + heatsink together. Anyways, on to my question which isn't really answered by the instructions included with the Scythe Mugen 4.

Installing the fan to the Mugen 4 heatsink utilizes a couple of clips, where each clip attaches to mounting holes in the fan assembly as well as a ridge that runs across all the fins in the heatsink. The way I see it, there are two possible ways of installing these clips, one of which I think is the correct way, but I wanted to confirm this with those of you who have experience in this area.

1. Start off by placing the long side of the clip into the ridge of the heatsink and then individually bend the ends of the clips to get them into the fan mounting holes.

2. Start off by placing the ends of the clip into the mounting holes in the fan, and then try to get the logn side of the clip into the ridge in the heatsink. I'm pretty sure this is NOT the correct way of doing the installation as the risk of bending the heatsink fins is quite high as I think you would encounter much more resistance in this method.

So, I'm pretty sure #1 is right, but I wanted to check. Unless there are other methods I'm not taking into consideration?

Tzupy
*Lifetime Patron*

Re: Fan clip installation on Scythe Mugen 4 (or similar desi

Post by Tzupy » Wed Jan 15, 2014 2:25 pm

In my old computer I have a Mugen 2, and I've been using the method number 2, first catch the fan then put the clip into the ridge.
The Mugen 4 seems to have a similar fan clipping design. Haven't bent any fins IIRC, I did this many times in 4.5 years of dust cleaning that HSF every 3 - 6 months.

CA_Steve

Post by CA_Steve » Wed Jan 15, 2014 2:44 pm

Both work. Both are a pain in the ass. :) A pair of needle nose pliers helps.

qualdoth

Post by qualdoth » Wed Jan 15, 2014 5:33 pm

Thanks folks, I'll dig out my pliers for the build I guess :) Good to know both can work. I would agree that both appeared to be a pain in the butt when I was doing a fitment check yesterday.