technology advances in heatpipe coolers ca 2003

Cooling Processors quietly

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

dan

technology advances in heatpipe coolers ca 2003

Post by dan » Tue May 06, 2014 1:59 pm

around 2004 i got a scythe ninja give or take a few years.

it's a heat pipe cooler with aluminum fins.

it's 2014 now.

has there been any technology advances in heat pipe coolers - or coolers that don't involve a pump?

in what ways are heat pipe coolers in 2014 more advance technologically than 2004?

are there newer cooler technology on the horizon?

Cistron

Re: technology advances in heatpipe coolers ca 2003

Post by Cistron » Fri May 09, 2014 2:54 pm

dan wrote:around 2004 i got a scythe ninja give or take a few years.

it's a heat pipe cooler with aluminum fins.

it's 2014 now.

has there been any technology advances in heat pipe coolers - or coolers that don't involve a pump?

in what ways are heat pipe coolers in 2014 more advance technologically than 2004?

are there newer cooler technology on the horizon?
As far as I can tell they are all playing the "socket-game". I understand that everybody (meaning the population as a whole) is horny for the next new thing, but even through empirical testing the ilk of Scythe, Thermalright, etc. should have figured out the most effective shapes, configurations and mounting mechanisms. That would make for a boring market though, wouldn't it?

One of the more different designs was this spinning heat-sink that rode on an air-cushion and previously a liquid metal heatpipish thing. I wonder what happened to the former and the latter wasn't very successful (NaK alloys are nasty) - also needed a pump.

edit: It should also be acknowledged that it will be damn hard to beat heatpipes. Phase changes are just such an effective way to transport heat.