Tower CPU heatsinks with widely-spaced fins <120mm?

Cooling Processors quietly

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Hrafn

Tower CPU heatsinks with widely-spaced fins <120mm?

Post by Hrafn » Sat Jun 14, 2014 9:04 pm

Are there any tower CPU heatsinks, other than the Thermalright HR-01 Plus and Scythe Ninja Mini (both of which are discontinued), that have widely-spaced fins (for low airflow operation) and are less than 120mm in width?

Abula

Re: Tower CPU heatsinks with widely-spaced fins <120mm?

Post by Abula » Sat Jun 14, 2014 9:59 pm

Maybe the Thermalright Macho 120, which is a smaller version of the HR02, but should be slightly less effective as less area to dissipate the heat.

Now if the HR01 would be better for you because of the dimmensions, you can still get some, and cheap, just gotta check if they have the mounting you need, but thermalright sells brackets, so shoudlnt be that hard, Thermalright HR-01 X $30.

Hrafn

Post by Hrafn » Sat Jun 14, 2014 10:32 pm

Abula wrote:Maybe the Thermalright Macho 120, which is a smaller version of the HR02, but should be slightly less effective as less area to dissipate the heat.
Yeh, it's already on my list for one 'candidate' for a build. But being able to reduce the width from exactly 120mm to less than 120mm opens up some other options.
Now if the HR01 would be better for you because of the dimmensions, you can still get some, and cheap, just gotta check if they have the mounting you need, but thermalright sells brackets, so shoudlnt be that hard, Thermalright HR-01 X $30.
I wasn't aware of the existence of the HR-01 X. How does it differ from the Plus (Thermalright's specs for it seem identical)? It certainly is significantly cheaper than the Plus. Thanks :)

lodestar

Post by lodestar » Sat Jun 14, 2014 10:34 pm

The reference to Xeon for the Thermalright HR-01X is because the last ones were made with those fittings only (X for Xeon?). Using the Thermalright VX BTK II Bolt-thru Mounting kit allows the HR-01X to be fitted to 1150, 55 and 56, and 2011 CPU sockets. Available from several sources including the supplier of the HR-01X on Amazon. Incidentally a pair of fan clips is supplied with the HR-01X so you can fit a fan of your choice. At 110mm it is a bit narrower than a 120mm fan. If you want some idea of its capabilities the SPCR review of the Thermalright HR-01 Plus (the same cooler in non-Xeon fit) may prove useful.

Hrafn

Post by Hrafn » Sat Jun 14, 2014 10:59 pm

lodestar wrote:The reference to Xeon for the Thermalright HR-01X is because the last ones were made with those fittings only (X for Xeon?). Using the Thermalright VX BTK II Bolt-thru Mounting kit allows the HR-01X to be fitted to 1150, 55 and 56, and 2011 CPU sockets. Available from several sources including the supplier of the HR-01X on Amazon. Incidentally a pair of fan clips is supplied with the HR-01X so you can fit a fan of your choice. At 110mm it is a bit narrower than a 120mm fan. If you want some idea of its capabilities the SPCR review of the Thermalright HR-01 Plus (the same cooler in non-Xeon fit) may prove useful.
So it's same heatsink, just different archaic fittings (and thus a difference irrelevant to use with modern CPUs).

I'd already found the VX BTK II (a previous SPCR thread mentioned it in conjunction with the HR-01 & 1150 sockets). The "40- 70lbs of force" mentioned on its Thermalright specs did give me a moment of knee-jerk nerves (is that normal force for a HS?), but not enough to discard the options it opens up. The instructions for its use on Thermalright's site seem reasonably clear (though the attached illustration wasn't particularly helpful).

quest_for_silence

Post by quest_for_silence » Sun Jun 15, 2014 1:10 am

Hrafn wrote:Are there any tower CPU heatsinks, other than the Thermalright HR-01 Plus and Scythe Ninja Mini (both of which are discontinued), that have widely-spaced fins (for low airflow operation) and are less than 120mm in width?
What about skimming any well made SPCR article? Look at the tables: http://www.silentpcreview.com/article1395-page4.html

lodestar

Post by lodestar » Sun Jun 15, 2014 1:17 am

Hrafn wrote:...The "40- 70lbs of force" mentioned on its Thermalright specs did give me a moment of knee-jerk nerves (is that normal force for a HS?)...
I've used the VX BTK II (on a HR-01 Plus) and tightened the mounting screw all the way using the supplied wrench. It does just lock and would require a significant amount of force to rotate it further. From what I remember of contemporary reports the difference the higher pressure made was to reduce CPU temperature by about 1C. The BTK II does in any case give a much firmer mount that the original fixings and remains a way of using some of the older Thermalright range on modern hardware including of course the classic TRUE.

Hrafn

Post by Hrafn » Sun Jun 15, 2014 2:37 am

quest_for_silence wrote:
Hrafn wrote:Are there any tower CPU heatsinks, other than the Thermalright HR-01 Plus and Scythe Ninja Mini (both of which are discontinued), that have widely-spaced fins (for low airflow operation) and are less than 120mm in width?
What about skimming any well made SPCR article? Look at the tables: http://www.silentpcreview.com/article1395-page4.html
I did. The two HSFs I listed were the only ones I found (both of them discontinued, and the Ninja Mini apparently unobtainable). I was checking to see if there was any I had missed, or if there was some other unreviewed HSFs that I should look at.

As a result of this inquiry, I found out about the existence of the (far cheaper) Thermalright HR-01 X variant, and that the the scary-sounding pressure of the 1150-adapter isn't nearly so scary, so I would hardly call this thread a waste of time.

Thank you for your concern about the spawning of 'unnecessary' new threads clogging up the Interpipes -- I can see how that might be a real danger. :lol:

quest_for_silence

Post by quest_for_silence » Sun Jun 15, 2014 4:45 am

Hrafn wrote:I can see how that might be a real danger. :lol:

I can also see how people may be really stupid.

CA_Steve

Post by CA_Steve » Sun Jun 15, 2014 10:39 am

Less snark, please.