Quiet CPU cooler and RAM clearance

Cooling Processors quietly

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

jrl

Quiet CPU cooler and RAM clearance

Post by jrl » Wed Feb 25, 2015 3:44 am

Hi,

I have a 4770K, Asus Gryphon uATX board and some Corsair Vengance Memory (yes, the ones with the ridiclious heatsinks)

I bought the RAM mainly because it was ultra cheap a couple of years ago, not realising about how impratical it is.

I wanted to get a Thermalright Macho but I realised RAM clearance would probably be an issue (I have all slots full). I can't say for sure if it's going to be a problem as some photos on the web show the clearance is ok with other motherboards.

I did think about selling the RAM and buying some Low Profile stuff but I might end up losing money, especially as RAM is still more expensive than when I bought 2 years ago.

I've just read the review of the Scythe Kotetsu however and it looks like it's almost on par with the Macho.

Is it really as good as the Macho?

I certainly wouldn't have clearance issues but it may be tricky to get hold of one at a decent price in the UK.

quest_for_silence

Re: Quiet CPU cooler and RAM clearance

Post by quest_for_silence » Wed Feb 25, 2015 5:25 am

jrl wrote:Is it really as good as the Macho?

No, you know, SPCR reviews are just deceiving, pure scams. :twisted:

jrl wrote:I certainly wouldn't have clearance issues but it may be tricky to get hold of one at a decent price in the UK.
I don't know what decent means for you: by the way, a) more probably that not the Macho should still barely fit; b) in case you can gently remove those useless heatspreaders by yourself. :wink:

lodestar

Post by lodestar » Wed Feb 25, 2015 2:04 pm

In view of the second picture down on this page from the recent SPCR review the Scythe Mugen Max could be a potential candidate. It is also reasonably priced in the UK from sources such as this one for example at around £40 including VAT.

cerbie

Post by cerbie » Wed Feb 25, 2015 6:46 pm

If you don't put the fan on the front of the heatsink, the Macho should have plenty of clearance on any LGA1150 board, and IME, performs quite well with just a case exhaust fan right behind it, or with the fan pulling.

xan_user
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by xan_user » Wed Feb 25, 2015 6:53 pm

or...
solve the real issue, instead of having to work around it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2LooPQQES0o