Silencing the Silverstone FT05: Noctua or Thermalright

Cooling Processors quietly

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Miki

Silencing the Silverstone FT05: Noctua or Thermalright

Post by Miki » Mon Jun 01, 2015 9:42 pm

Hello,

I recently bought this excellent case (except for cable management in the back...) and I need to make it as quiet as possible. All but the HS seems to be making most of the noise (Noctua NH-U12P SE2).
Been roaming around the web, reading reviews here and there and I've now torn between these HS:

Noctua NH-D15
Thermalright Silver Arrow IB-E
Thermalright Macho Rev. B

The auditory reviews differ from review to review but these three have been in the top tier in every review.

So, please help me out those of you who have any experience on these. Which would you recommend?

Specs:
Gigabyte G1.Sniper M3
MSI GTX780Ti
Kingston HyperX Black 16Gb 1600
Samsung 840 Pro 120Gb
Samsung 850 EVO 512Gb
WD Green 3Tb (connected only when I need to install something on the bigger SSD)

boost

Re: Silencing the Silverstone FT05: Noctua or Thermalright

Post by boost » Tue Jun 02, 2015 2:38 am

The fans that come with the Noctua NH-U12P SE2 have a 3-pin connector. Can you control the fan speed when you plug plug them into your mainboard?

lodestar

Post by lodestar » Tue Jun 02, 2015 2:54 am

The Noctua NH-U12P as tested by SPCR is a very good cooler. The reason for the noise is that minimum idle speed of the two 3 pin Noctua NF-P12 fans is around 800 rpm. Given the good airflow of your current case you could consider replacing both of these 3 pin fans by a single Noctua NF-F12 PWM fan. Plugged into the CPU PWM header with the BIOS Silent Profile selected this would run under idle/low system stress conditions at around 350 to 450 rpm, effectively silent. Also consider plugging the case fans into the motherboard headers and again using the BIOS Silent Profile. This would give the quietest fan speeds possible under idle conditions, you might see higher CPU and system temps but this would be a reasonable trade-off for the reduced noise. Under gaming load conditions the Silent Profile will automatically speed the fans up to control CPU temperatures and increase case airflow to keep the graphic card temps and fan noise within bounds.

Abula

Post by Abula » Tue Jun 02, 2015 7:11 am

Miki wrote:Noctua NH-D15
Its a good cooler, its more a matter of checking a couple of things,
1) Do you have window version or solid? some people have said that it fits fine on the solid but might touch the plexi on the windowed.
2) Are you plan on using the first PCIe slot? as the cooler passes through it.
Miki wrote:Thermalright Silver Arrow IB-E
This is what im using, you can check the sig for more info, it doesnt take the first pcie slot. I didnt like the TY143 fans as i coudlnt drop them below 750rpms, but you can get TY147 that in my testing were pretty good going down to 550rpms or so. Or you can get Noctua NF-P14 Redux PWM, that depending on the motherboard should drop below 500rpms.
Miki wrote:Thermalright Macho Rev. B
This is probably the cheapest of the ones you are considering, probably the best value of all of 3, its should be more than enough to cool a 2500K, i own 2 of them and when i was on Z68 i used an Macho on my 2500K, it cooled it fine, no issues whatsoever, as matter of fact was much cooler than what im using atm. The only suggestion is get the one with Black and white fan, as in my experience drops lower than the green/grey, Macho Rev. B.

You could also go with Scythe Kotetsu, which is a favorite here in SPCR due to its price/performance, check SPCR Scythe Kotetsu CPU Cooler: A Compact King

Miki

Post by Miki » Tue Jun 02, 2015 9:50 pm

boost: no can do.

lodestar:
Thanks for the tip! I decided to try the cheaper approach first since I can get the Noctua NF-F12 PWM cheaper than usual (retail) and lo and behold I had to double check the Noctua fan was actually spinning! It's so much quieter than the previous fan. Thanks man.

Now the only annoying thing so far is the PSU and its coil whine (Corsair HX650).

Abula: I took a look at your FT05 rig, very nice and clean build. You seem to be using Prolimatech fans on your build so I take it they're even better than the TY147?

So far the noise issue is far better than what it used to be but if for whatever reason I need to squeeze my rig even quieter, I got few options to go with. Thanks guys.