Lapped Scythe Ashura/Mugen vs Kotetsu

Cooling Processors quietly

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

froboy88

Lapped Scythe Ashura/Mugen vs Kotetsu

Post by froboy88 » Mon Jun 29, 2015 6:49 pm

I would like to get a decent overclock on my i7 3770k and keep things close to silent at idle. I'm looking at the Scythe coolers because they seem to be a good value.

In SPCR testing the Kotetsu seems to have out done all the rest but I'm wondering if the larger Ashura or Mugen 4 coolers might pull ahead at higher voltages if the poorer bases of the later two are improved by lapping. I don't have much experience with larger coolers and it seems hard to quantify as some coolers that perform well at low TDP fall back in the pack at higher a TDP. Sometimes even, the cooler at the front of the pack (with the case of the Kotetsu) are necessarily the largest.

I'm open to other suggestions. Value and noise are my main focus. Also if anyone can point me to any info that could help me come to a conclusion.

quest_for_silence

Re: Lapped Scythe Ashura/Mugen vs Kotetsu

Post by quest_for_silence » Mon Jun 29, 2015 10:45 pm

Oc'ed Ivy and Haswell are not in the same league of LGA2011 CPUs: even so they don't draw that much (just look around for relevant power consumption figures), and in the end likely it's mainly their terrible inner TIM to worsen cores temp a lot (when highly oc'ed). Said that, also note that the larger coolers need an increased airflow to exploit their superior (if any) cooling prowess, and so worsening the noise outcome.

With reference to your question, however, at idle you don't need a large cooler to run it silent, even with an oc'ed Ivy (that's how those CPUs work).

CA_Steve

Re: Lapped Scythe Ashura/Mugen vs Kotetsu

Post by CA_Steve » Tue Jun 30, 2015 10:37 am

If the cooler's base doesn't match well with the CPU's IHS, then lapping can definately improve performance. How much will depend on all the other factors: firm mounting, heatpipe structure and fit, fin structure, fan performance, case airflow. The reviewed Mugen 4 had a decent base, as did the one in my current build. The reviewed Asura didn't and would be the better candidate for lapping (along with the CPU). I couldn't guess how much better it would be in an OC/OV environment.

I would lean toward the Mugen 4 with dual 120mm fans if you are overvolting...if just an OC, I think the Kotetsu would be good enough.