Best CPU cooler without backplate (easy installation)

Cooling Processors quietly

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

bnk

Best CPU cooler without backplate (easy installation)

Post by bnk » Thu Sep 03, 2015 1:06 pm

Looking for a cooler without a backplate.

I thought of Arctic freezer 7 pro rev 2. or Scythe Katana 3.

Any recommendations?

xan_user
*Lifetime Patron*

Re: Best CPU cooler without backplate (easy installation)

Post by xan_user » Thu Sep 03, 2015 4:57 pm

using large washers, i wouldn't sweat using a rather large heatsink, sans backplate, so long as the PC wont be transported in a vertical orientation.

quest_for_silence

Post by quest_for_silence » Thu Sep 03, 2015 9:20 pm

bnk wrote:Looking for a cooler without a backplate.

I thought of Arctic freezer 7 pro rev 2. or Scythe Katana 3.

Any recommendations?
Thermalright True Spirit, either the 120M Rev. A or the 120i: though those performs way, way better than the coolers you quoted, they deserves a new fan, as IME the stock one is likely one of the worst sounding ones.

bnk

Post by bnk » Fri Sep 04, 2015 10:00 am

Unfortunately I can't get those Thermalright's.

quest_for_silence

Post by quest_for_silence » Fri Sep 04, 2015 11:31 am

bnk wrote:Unfortunately I can't get those Thermalright's.
So why are you looking for recommendations?

CA_Steve

Post by CA_Steve » Fri Sep 04, 2015 12:03 pm

Maybe you could list your country and etailers.

bnk

Post by bnk » Fri Sep 04, 2015 4:26 pm

Usually Amazon US.

QUIET!

Post by QUIET! » Fri Sep 04, 2015 4:58 pm

I got a Thermalright Macho 90 through Amazon (US) fulfilled by Nan's Gaming Gear. They sell other Thermalright products but so far the Macho 90 seems pretty nice and ships without a back plate. You can buy Thermalright direct from Nan's too (depending on your location).

On the other hand, I like back plates so I added one. If you look at the way Thermalright's mount, you need access to the back of the motherboard either way and adding a back plate might even be easier because it holds the screws while you are installing it.

If you don't want to access the back of your motherboard you are really looking for a heat sink with pushpins. I know Cooler Master makes a few like their Hyper TX3 something or another. I think their Hyper 212 might even have push pins. I don't pay much attention because I wouldn't buy one, I only get disappointed when I'm looking for a backplate and then I remember. I've got plenty of unused Intel box coolers that I can use if I want a mediocre CPU cooler.

bnk

Post by bnk » Fri Sep 04, 2015 5:47 pm

QUIET! wrote:
If you don't want to access the back of your motherboard you are really looking for a heat sink with pushpins.
That is exactly what I'm looking for :)

xan_user
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by xan_user » Fri Sep 04, 2015 7:44 pm

pushpins rarely provide enough contact pressure for good (SPCR type) results

quest_for_silence

Post by quest_for_silence » Fri Sep 04, 2015 8:41 pm

bnk wrote:That is exactly what I'm looking for :)

In 2015? For a Core i7 4770? In a tower enclosure (which you're likely going to replace with another tower, IIRC, so that the mobo will be accessed anyway)? And will it fit your specific mITX board and GPU (I'm thinking to a tower-style cooler, though with a 92mm fan)?

Whether that's the case, IMO that's not really advisable, either cooling-wise or noise-wise: maybe it's more rational to stick with the stock cooler and spare the hassles.
Last edited by quest_for_silence on Fri Sep 04, 2015 9:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.

CA_Steve

Post by CA_Steve » Fri Sep 04, 2015 8:46 pm

push pin style coolers are pretty horrid for performance.

QUIET!

Post by QUIET! » Sat Sep 05, 2015 1:01 pm

I wouldn't say they are horrid. Its just a much much lower standard and usually comes with more fan noise.

What I really dislike about pushpins is that it relies on four thin, hollow plastic pins with a slit through it for good measure. If one breaks, the other three are not far behind and if the heatsink falls off, your CPU is toast. It also stresses and bends the motherboard (which is why I like back plates).

I was just looking at an ad for a local electronics chain store and they had AMD CPU/motherboard combos with one as low as $34. That's what I wouldn't mind using a pushpin cooler on. Anything better and I would want better.

bnk

Post by bnk » Sat Sep 05, 2015 2:56 pm

quest_for_silence wrote:
bnk wrote:That is exactly what I'm looking for :)

In 2015? For a Core i7 4770? In a tower enclosure (which you're likely going to replace with another tower, IIRC, so that the mobo will be accessed anyway)? And will it fit your specific mITX board and GPU
It's not the same pc as in my other thread.
This one is at work, uAtx mb, 4770, no gfx card.
I'm trying to avoid the hassle of taking the mb out.
The stock cooler is crap. Very noissy. The pc is used extenssively so it is a must.
If there is no good solution (very quiet) I will go for a backplate solution. I do have a Noctua Nh-d14 lying around so I can use it (how quiet can it get?).

quest_for_silence

Post by quest_for_silence » Sat Sep 05, 2015 10:00 pm

bnk wrote:It's not the same pc as in my other thread.
This one is at work, uAtx mb, 4770, no gfx card.
I'm trying to avoid the hassle of taking the mb out.
The stock cooler is crap. Very noissy. The pc is used extenssively so it is a must.
If there is no good solution (very quiet) I will go for a backplate solution. I do have a Noctua Nh-d14 lying around so I can use it (how quiet can it get?).

A cooler cannot be quiet by itself: a cooler can be operated quietly, and in an office environment it might be operated less quiet than at home, given the supposedly higher noise floor.

So, please, let's start from scratch: which PC is that work one (brand, model, and similar information)?

xan_user
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by xan_user » Sun Sep 06, 2015 7:35 am

quest_for_silence wrote:...let's start from scratch
by removing the mobo, and bolting on a good heatsink.... :wink:

bnk

Post by bnk » Sun Sep 06, 2015 8:55 am

quest_for_silence wrote: So, please, let's start from scratch: which PC is that work one (brand, model, and similar information)?
Regular unknown midi case, gigabyte uAtx MB (h81), i7 4770 with stock cooler, Samsung SSD 128GB 840 PRO, 8GB mem, seasonic 400W psu (quiet silent), on board gfx card (i7).

After your recommendation for "backplated" solution, I will go for that (it is faster than to search for a non-back plated good solution).
Which would you recommend?

CA_Steve

Post by CA_Steve » Sun Sep 06, 2015 1:26 pm

Regular unknown midi case
Scythe Kotetsu is my first suggestion for a non-OC'ed 84W CPU. It's thin enough to avoid RAM overlap and is a stellar performaer.

You'll want to measure your clearances:
- height from CPU to case side
- Could the RAM interfere? (do they have taller-than-the-circuit-board heatspreaders?)
- check for other conflicts on the mobo.

QUIET!

Post by QUIET! » Sun Sep 06, 2015 5:00 pm

bnk wrote:After your recommendation for "backplated" solution, I will go for that (it is faster than to search for a non-back plated good solution).
Its not that it takes time to find a good pushpin cooler, its that there is nothing out there good enough to reccomend.

I went with the Macho 90 because I only have about 137mm of clearance over the CPU and the Macho 90 is the biggest I could fit. If I had the clearance, I would prefer a basic tower cooler with a 120mm fan (the Macho 90 uses a 92mm fan) but those generally need 160mm+ of clearance.

There are a few low profile 120mm fan heat sinks between those sizes but some conflict with RAM modules so its like a jigsaw puzzle unless you have lots of clearance above the CPU.

If you can get a tower heat sink with 120mm fan that fits, you are probably in good shape but check reviews because some do not perform as well as others and some have custom fans that are difficult to replace if they make more noise than you would like.

The goal is not the absolute lowest temps or the highest over clock which is how most heat sinks are tested. What you want are reasonable low temperatures with a low noise fan profile. If you can get that with good mounting, low weight and low price, you have a winner.