Noise Elimination Process (Coaching Needed)

Cooling Processors quietly

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

ozmany

Noise Elimination Process (Coaching Needed)

Post by ozmany » Tue May 24, 2016 12:57 pm

Hello,

I've got a decent pc with an x41 cooler mounted on a gpu colling bracket which is producing rattling noises when my pc is switched on. the second problem is my also AIO cooled 4790k the cooler i use is the Corsair H80i its also producing noise when under load, the question is shall I switch to Hyper 212 X, and is it less noisy? and since im having a mid tower cooler master case which's too small I am planning to also get the 600q Carbide case. Is it worth it? and will it reduce the sound levels.

Regards, Ozman

CA_Steve

Re: Noise Elimination Process (Coaching Needed)

Post by CA_Steve » Tue May 24, 2016 3:17 pm

Welcome to SPCR.

Maybe you could list the rest of the system components...what's the gpu, are there HDDs, the PSU? What CPU and GPU temps are you getting with the current case at idle and heavy load?
x41 cooler mounted on a gpu colling bracket which is producing rattling noises when my pc is switched on
- Who's cooling bracket?
4790k the cooler i use is the Corsair H80i its also producing noise when under load, the question is shall I switch to Hyper 212 X, and is it less noisy?
- Are you overclocking/overvolting? The Hyper 212X is a decent cooler..but, there are better air solutions for both stock and OC'ed i7's.
mid tower cooler master case which's too small I am planning to also get the 600q Carbide case. Is it worth it? and will it reduce the sound levels.
Don't know what Coolermaster case you have, so hard to compare. The 600Q is a nice case. It scored very well in the SPCR review. Downsides are the fans aren't stellar and the case costs $140. You can get the Fractal Define S (if you don't have an ODD) for $80.

ozmany

Post by ozmany » Wed May 25, 2016 1:30 am

The kraken gpu cooling bracket its called Kraken g10 and ye ive got a 980 ti
The case is the coolermaster midtower CM690 III
The psu is 1000w corsair RM 1000
And im not overclocking but what are better coolers in terms of noise levels and cooling?

Sorry for not providing enough details last time

edh

Post by edh » Wed May 25, 2016 1:39 am

I wouldn't say that a new case is the best thing you could do. Deal with the noise of the components within the case and if you need to mod the case to improve cooling, it doesn't tend to be too hard.

CA_Steve

Post by CA_Steve » Wed May 25, 2016 7:28 am

Thanks for the info.

Since you aren't overclocking, a decent air cpu cooler for your case would be the Scythe Ninja 4.

Now to determine why everything is so noisy...and yeah there are a lot of questions..

The most likely cause for the gfx card rattle is the fan is running at high speeds inducing vibration to the bracket. Or, the pump is running at high speed...

- What's your motherboard make and model (this will help with fan control questions).
- The case comes with a front 200mm fan and a rear 120mm fan. Are they hooked up to the motherboard? Is there a fan speed profile in place?
- Where are the cpu and gpu radiators placed?
- Are the cpu pump and fan plugged into the motherboard for speed control or elsewhere? And, what speeds and temps do you see at idle and gaming load?
- Are the gpu pump and radiator fan plugged into the motherboard for speed control or elsewhere? And, what speeds and temps do you see at idle and gaming load?
- Is the gfx card fan (over the power and memory circuitry) plugged into the gfx card or elsewhere? Are there heatsinks on the memory and power mosfets? What speeds do you see at idle and gaming loads?

ozmany

Post by ozmany » Wed May 25, 2016 12:15 pm

i replaced the fan on the radiator now the noise of the gpu cooler is gone, apparently the fan was broken :) I feel stupid for not discovering that earlier. However, the noise from the cpu liquid cooler is the thing i need to fix next. The question is if I replace the liquid cooler with a Hyper 212X will the noise be reduced drastically? (the main noise source is the cpu cooler) and yeah since this cooler is the best available air cpu cooler available in my country and if i wanted another cooler id have to order it from amazon which will take much time and i cant wait.

ozmany

Post by ozmany » Wed May 25, 2016 12:56 pm

ye and the sound that the cpu/cooler produces is like whining

nster

Post by nster » Wed May 25, 2016 1:07 pm

ozmany wrote:i replaced the fan on the radiator now the noise of the gpu cooler is gone, apparently the fan was broken :) I feel stupid for not discovering that earlier. However, the noise from the cpu liquid cooler is the thing i need to fix next. The question is if I replace the liquid cooler with a Hyper 212X will the noise be reduced drastically? (the main noise source is the cpu cooler) and yeah since this cooler is the best available air cpu cooler available in my country and if i wanted another cooler id have to order it from amazon which will take much time and i cant wait.
Making the fans less agressive for your AIO coolers are probably going to lower the noise more than switching to a Hyper 212X. The Hyper 212X is a good budget cooler. The X41 Kraken is supposed to be one of the quieter AIO coolers, so there's definitively a way to limit the noise output

CA_Steve

Post by CA_Steve » Wed May 25, 2016 2:03 pm

ozmany wrote:ye and the sound that the cpu/cooler produces is like whining
From the pump or from the fans?..and is this the original H80i, the H80i GT or the new H80 V2 model?