Corsair H110i AIO Cooler - Noise Reduction Question

Cooling Processors quietly

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Kosie

Corsair H110i AIO Cooler - Noise Reduction Question

Post by Kosie » Tue Aug 02, 2016 9:30 pm

Hi All,

I just purchased my new PC with the Corsair H110i AIO cooler however I find that the fans are quite loud and annoying. I've set the profile to Quiet on Corsair Link which has made them a lot quieter but I'm looking for a set of new fans that can do the same job but run even quieter if possible. Is there anything you would recommend?

I assume I need to get static pressure fans? I'm running 2 Noctua 140mm NF-P14S Redux Edition Fans at the front of the case. Can I use these same fans to also replace my Corsair ones or am I better off looking at something like Corsairs new magnetic fans? The case I'm using is the Phanteks Enthoo Pro M and running an i7 6700k at stock for the moment.

I'm not sure if buying new fans will even reduce the noise. A friend has suggested that I just create my own profiles in Corsair Link and manage noise that way but I have no idea how to do that without cooking my CPU hence why I'm leaning towards buying 2 new fans which I hope will make a lot less noise.

Someone has recommended the Noctuas, says you can't go wrong with them and believes they even provide an improved performance in terms of noise and temps vs the stock corsair ones. What would you recommend, are the NF-P14S good fans?

These are my options I guess (unless someone can recommend something better). I've chosen PWM since I can control them via Corsair Link, but ultimately I'm planning on just running them on the quiet profile which I hope should do the job

Noctua 140mm NF-P14S Redux Edition Square Frame PWM Fan (Max 1500RPM) - max dba is 25.8
Noctua 140mm NF-P14S Redux Edition Square Frame PWM Fan (Max 1200RPM) - max dba 19.6

I take it that the 1500 RPM option would be better given I'm cooling a CPU and may overclock it slightly in the future.
Last edited by Kosie on Tue Aug 02, 2016 10:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Smanci

Re: Corsair H110i AIO Cooler - Noise Reduction Question

Post by Smanci » Tue Aug 02, 2016 10:47 pm

What's the RPM like in quiet mode? If they run as low as like 500RPM, they're not going to make much of a sound. Could it be possible the pump is making some of that noise?

Kosie

Post by Kosie » Tue Aug 02, 2016 10:52 pm

I was monitoring it yesterday, RPM on quiet profile was between 850-950. It was more in the 900's and that was when I was on my desktop not doing much.

Someone said I can create custom profiles but I'm not really sure how to do that and I'm scared of cooking my CPU, especially during gaming.

Maybe the pump is making a lot of the noise and I just think it's the fans... hmm...

Fire-Flare

Post by Fire-Flare » Wed Aug 03, 2016 1:24 pm

Kosie wrote:I was monitoring it yesterday, RPM on quiet profile was between 850-950. It was more in the 900's and that was when I was on my desktop not doing much.

Someone said I can create custom profiles but I'm not really sure how to do that and I'm scared of cooking my CPU, especially during gaming.

Maybe the pump is making a lot of the noise and I just think it's the fans... hmm...
I use 140mm Noctua fans on my radiators and never hear them except for their initial spin-up when I press the power button.

You can probably safely undervolt your pump, so long as you're still able to monitor its RPM so you'll know if it goes too low or stops spinning altogether.

Kosie

Post by Kosie » Wed Aug 03, 2016 8:12 pm

I'm going to buy a set of Noctua fans now and give them a try. In terms of reducing pump speeds, do you have a link to any guides on how to do that? I don't think the pump is making much noise after checking yesterday but would still be good to know.

Fire-Flare

Post by Fire-Flare » Wed Aug 03, 2016 8:43 pm

Kosie wrote:I'm going to buy a set of Noctua fans now and give them a try. In terms of reducing pump speeds, do you have a link to any guides on how to do that? I don't think the pump is making much noise after checking yesterday but would still be good to know.
Looks like that pump uses a SATA power connector...

The cheapest and easiest option would probably be to get a Molex to SATA power adapter, and modify the Molex end so it can be plugged in backwards. That will switch the 12v feed with 5v. I highly advise cutting the red wire too so the 12v line won't fry any 5v things in the pump.

(Don't sue me if something goes wrong)

As for the fans, Corsair's product page makes it look like the stock fans plug into the pump. I don't think the Noctuas will do that, so you'll have to plug them into the motherboard instead. Noctuas typically come with a splitter cable so you should be okay if you only have one motherbaord header.

Kosie

Post by Kosie » Wed Aug 03, 2016 9:17 pm

Haha all good I might leave the pump for now and just change the fans. Do you recommend the 1200 or 1500 rpm ones for a 6700k?

Fire-Flare

Post by Fire-Flare » Thu Aug 04, 2016 11:58 am

Since you have a dual fan radiator cooling only the CPU, I doubt you'll need the extra RPM of the 1500s. Two 1200s should do the job on their own.