Applying heatsink compound to heatpipe cooler.

Cooling Processors quietly

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Altairst8te74

Applying heatsink compound to heatpipe cooler.

Post by Altairst8te74 » Sat Mar 04, 2017 1:04 pm

I would like to build up a cooler here that has heatpipe rods. The main block attaches to the cpu and then the pipes are fitted to it, they also sit onto side panels of an mini itx case to radiate heat. I posted back along about putting an i5 into a minisys t8. I decided to go lower down and put in an i3 55w cpu instead and just need to cobble the heatsink together.

I can build it no problem, just I do not want to make a mess applying the thermal goop! There is one company called HDPLEX that sell their own heatpipe cooler and it comes with a little metal tool thing, they call it the Dumbbell! its just a metal pin thing with a ball on either end. This seems to make it easier to get the goop into the grooves the pipes sit in.

Does anyone know if that tool can be bought on its own? I could re-purpose something that is near to it to do the job, I will dig through my stuff and see there is something I can use but I am not holding out much hope.

Buying the correct thing would be good if possible.

:)

Vicotnik
*Lifetime Patron*

Re: Applying heatsink compound to heatpipe cooler.

Post by Vicotnik » Sat Mar 04, 2017 11:58 pm

I remember that rod, but I don't think it's necessary. Greasing up the heatpipes have always been a messy business But the contact area is so large that you don't really need that much precision. Use whatever tool you can find I say. A folded piece of stiff paper does the job. :)