Cooler for 7700k in an FT05

Cooling Processors quietly

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

DarthShader

Cooler for 7700k in an FT05

Post by DarthShader » Sat Mar 04, 2017 1:15 pm

Hey guys,

I'm building a mid-high end workstation (CAD, rendering, gaming). Ideally I'd like it to be as silent as possible (perhaps even semi-passive at idle).
For coolers, it seems like the typical recommendations are the Mugen, Macho, Ninja 4, and various Noctuas.

Although the old Silver Arrow was one of the top recommended heatsinks, I haven't seen the updated version, the IB-E, mentioned much. How well does it work for low airflow?

Personally, I'm leaning towards the Ninja 4 + some nice 140mm fan.

The rest of the build:
i7-7700k (best single-threaded performance, unfortunately a lot of CAD software is still single-threaded)
FT05 - I like the fact that it comes with noise-isolating panels preinstalled
GTX 1080 - need CUDA for Tensorflow and 3D rendering
BIOSTAR Z270GT9 - the only 10GigE 1151 motherboard I could find. Not sure about this pick yet.
Seasonic 520FL2 passive PSU

Also, does anyone have recommendations for the bottom fans? Noise-wise, am I better off swapping the stock 180mm fans for 140mm noctuas?

quest_for_silence

Re: Cooler for 7700k in an FT05

Post by quest_for_silence » Mon Mar 06, 2017 8:30 am

DarthShader wrote:Although the old Silver Arrow was one of the top recommended heatsinks, I haven't seen the updated version, the IB-E, mentioned much. How well does it work for low airflow?

At least as well as the original SA.

DarthShader wrote:Also, does anyone have recommendations for the bottom fans? Noise-wise, am I better off swapping the stock 180mm fans for 140mm noctuas?

Noise wise the 140mm is a more sensible choice, and given you have just one GTX 1080 it's a rather viable option.

Abula

Re: Cooler for 7700k in an FT05

Post by Abula » Tue Mar 07, 2017 2:21 pm

Sadly I'm not home to link you, but in my signature you can see pi a of my ft05 build with a silver arrow ibe, I haven't updated the pics to the current build, but I swap for a prolimatech Genesis with similar results just it cools the memory so I prefer it. But the ninja4 or macho revb should work fine also.

On 140 fans.... My suggestion is use the 180s that's the hole reason to get the ft05, there are other good cases if you want to go with 140s, but get Mobo with good fan control like Asus with fanxpert, and get an Intel 10ge as pcie, that's your best bet silent wise.

On the PSU, if you are going to use the 3.5 HDD cage get a PSU with 160mm or less of depth, else theodular cables will be an issue. If you are not using the HDD cage and money is not an issue go with the seasonic prime 650 it's a great PSU with 12 years warranty, or the upcoming 600w passive prime that should hit the market soon.

If you still want Biostar good with an fractal design r5, and use the built in fan controller of the case.