[Define R5] HR-02 Macho Rev. B or Shadow Rock Slim

Cooling Processors quietly

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

shams94

[Define R5] HR-02 Macho Rev. B or Shadow Rock Slim

Post by shams94 » Fri Jun 30, 2017 2:02 am

I have an R5 and need to get a new CPU cooler. I checked the Recommended Heatsinks page and, checking the table from top to bottom, my first choice (price and availability) was the HR-02 Macho and after that probably the Shadow Rock Slim. However in the R5 build only the Shadow Rock Slim is listed as an alternative. Is there anything that makes it better, for this case or should I just go for the HR-02 Macho Rev. B?

Thanks

CA_Steve

Re: [Define R5] HR-02 Macho Rev. B or Shadow Rock Slim

Post by CA_Steve » Fri Jun 30, 2017 6:02 am

Welcome to SPCR.

What's your CPU and do you overclock/overvolt it?

shams94

Post by shams94 » Fri Jun 30, 2017 6:15 am

CA_Steve wrote:Welcome to SPCR.
Thank you!
CA_Steve wrote:What's your CPU and do you overclock/overvolt it?
It's an i5-4690 (non-K).

lodestar

Post by lodestar » Fri Jun 30, 2017 7:06 am

For the last R5 build I used the Noctua NH-U14S CPU cooler with an additional Noctua NF-A15 PWM fan replacing the FD exhaust fan. The A15 was linked to the CPU cooler fan using the CPU_OPT PWM fan header on the Asus motherboard so that both ran at the same duty cycle. In practice the CPU cooler fan runs slightly faster because it has a top speed of 1500 rpm versus the 1200 max speed of the A15. Using the Asus BIOS fan optimization I was able to achieve idle speeds in the 200 to 300 rpm range, in a case the size of the R5 effectively silent.

The Noctua NH-U14S has been reviewed by SPCR.

Abula

Post by Abula » Fri Jun 30, 2017 7:44 am

The best bang for the buck quiet coolers are Scythe Kotetsu, Scythe Ninja4, Thermalright Macho RevB. Noctua NH-U14S imo is one of the best coolers also, the problem imo is the pricing, cost $10-25 more than the before, and cooling is very similar. That said, it really depends on what you have access, not sure in portugal the pricing of the these coolers, but either of those will do a good job and should fit fine R5, i personally prefer the Macho out of matching the R5 color theme.

shams94

Post by shams94 » Fri Jun 30, 2017 8:14 am

Thanks everyone for the quick replies!

Sorry about not listing my CPU in the OP, would have made things easier. It's an i5-4690 (non-K). Regarding the Noctua cooler, the difference in price (45€ -> 70€) is a bit too steep for me, especially since my CPU doesn't run that hot. I've also looked for the Scythe coolers but they seem non-existent around here :(. So I will be likely going with the Macho Rev.B.

CA_Steve

Post by CA_Steve » Fri Jun 30, 2017 12:00 pm

What's needed for inaudibly cooling a 65W CPU like yours versus a 95-140W overclocked CPU is big difference. Yeah, the Macho will work very well, but it's overkill. :) Amazon.es carries the Kotetsu for 45 euros, for example.

Abula

Post by Abula » Fri Jun 30, 2017 12:25 pm

shams94 wrote:Thanks everyone for the quick replies!

Sorry about not listing my CPU in the OP, would have made things easier. It's an i5-4690 (non-K). Regarding the Noctua cooler, the difference in price (45€ -> 70€) is a bit too steep for me, especially since my CPU doesn't run that hot. I've also looked for the Scythe coolers but they seem non-existent around here :(. So I will be likely going with the Macho Rev.B.
Seems a very good price, 45 euros would be like $55, so seems with in where i think the best coolers are, around $50. As Steve said the Macho RevB is an overkill for a none overclocked sub 4ghz CPU, but at the same time this overkill will allow you to set the fan extremely low and the ramping will be also very low, allowing you inaudible operation even under load, besides it looks sexy on the R5 =)

shams94

Post by shams94 » Fri Jun 30, 2017 5:02 pm

I agree that the Macho is "a bit" overkill for my CPU, but I'm planning to do some incremental changes to my PC over the next years. So, hopefully, one day it won't be as overkill :P I also really dig the white fan, which will match the case ones.

Oh and I totally forgot about amazon.es! I buy stuff there from time to time but it never crossed my mind to check it for PC components. I guess I will be making a decision between the Macho and the Kotetsu during the next days, seems I can't really go wrong with any of the two.

Thank you again!