Game pc CPU cooling setup.

Cooling Processors quietly

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

c4610939

Game pc CPU cooling setup.

Post by c4610939 » Mon Aug 07, 2017 4:29 pm

Hi, I have a 2500k @ 4.5ghz and a R9 280x. And I was thinking about changing my cpu cooler (Mugen 2) to blow upwards. But I am not sure it would be better since heat rises anyway. So I am asking you experts here :). All my case and cpu fans are PWM controlled. And I have taken out my hdd cage. My case is beside my desk on the floor so the air is free to travel up.

Case fans.
2x 140mm: Noctua NF-P14s redux-900
1x 120mm: Noctua NF-S12B redux-700

I will explain with my paint skills. I dont really expect it so be more silent, but maybe better cooling efficiency (?)

My current set-up
http://imgur.com/a/e42X8

Possible change
http://imgur.com/a/3d1v4

What do you think? Worth the trouble or just stick with my setup?

Vicotnik
*Lifetime Patron*

Re: Game pc CPU cooling setup.

Post by Vicotnik » Mon Aug 07, 2017 11:46 pm

I would stick with the current "standard" setup; feeding the CPU fresh air from the front instead of hotter air from the graphics card.

NeilBlanchard

Post by NeilBlanchard » Tue Aug 08, 2017 5:39 am

A fan out the top would be a good thing. Pulling warmer air from close to the video card, though is not ideal. So maybe a rear exhaust fan and an exhaust fan above the CPU. If that is not enough, try a second top exhaust.

Air flow through the case is better than churning air inside the case.

c4610939

Post by c4610939 » Tue Aug 08, 2017 7:44 am

NeilBlanchard wrote:A fan out the top would be a good thing. Pulling warmer air from close to the video card, though is not ideal. So maybe a rear exhaust fan and an exhaust fan above the CPU. If that is not enough, try a second top exhaust.
Thank you both for your answers.
Do you think adding a fan (on the top of the case above the cpu) would lower or increase the noise? In theory the fans dont have to spin as fast. But adding a fan is adding noise right (?)
And do you think I would lose positive pressure? The 120mm fan is smaller but its blades are different, I think they move more air @ lower rpm. I would then have neutral pressure?

NeilBlanchard

Post by NeilBlanchard » Wed Aug 09, 2017 5:13 am

I think that moving air through the case - lowering the temperature in the case - makes the heatsink fans much quieter. If the case has inadequate air flow, then no amount of fan speed can make the GPU cooler.

The GPU produces more heat than the CPU, and its heatsink is usually much smaller than the CPU heatsink. And the GPU is positioned poorly for cooling - it is exactly in the worst position for quiet cooling.

That is why I think positive pressure is a disadvantage. By definition, the air inside of a positive pressure case is moving more slowly, and that allows heat pockets to build up. And positive pressure has minimal to no advantage for dust control.

Top exhaust fans are reinforcing the natural flow of warm air, and so you get as much use as possible of a given RPM.