noktua nh-d15s vs nh-u14s

Cooling Processors quietly

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

nimo11

noktua nh-d15s vs nh-u14s

Post by nimo11 » Fri Jun 01, 2018 3:44 am

trying to choose one for my planned new desktop.
think that those two are the candidates ( will check also some BK).
i was almost sure to go for the 15S , but then i read this.
can someone explain me the logic behind those conclusions, since i don't see any differences in performance?
maybe it was the price difference?
there is also the NH-C14S whish us a low profile. maybe it's some advantage for more free room inside the system.

https://techbuyersguru.com/noctuas-nh-u ... est?page=0

p,s
if i'll decide to go for the 15S i still have a dilemma if to go with two or one fan.
in the review here i see almost no difference in temp. and noise.

https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Noctua/NH-D15S/

Abula

Re: noktua nh-d15s vs nh-u14s

Post by Abula » Fri Jun 01, 2018 4:57 am

What i have found over the years doing tons of builds, and keeping kinda updated 4 different pcs, is that there is a point where coolers aren't that different, what i mean in terms of temperature, imo we have reached like a point where what we need is bigger surface area with the CPU for bigger coolers to reflect better temps. For example, coolers like the HR02 (now Macho), perform very similar at high rpms to the HR22 (now legrandmacho), around 1C or 2C, where you can see a difference is in very low rpms. this is the reason for me that coolers like U14S or True Spirit 140 can do very well, specially at high rpms compared to twin tower coolers or huge heatsinks.

Usually, most of us here that recommend coolers, avoid noctua not at being bad, probably among the best quality coolers and mounting on the market, the problem is for me with noctua is the pricing, NH-U14S usually retails around $65 where the Thermalright True Spirit Power 140 retails around $50 so is the Thermalright Macho RevB, that will perform very similar, and quality wise, while i give the slight edge to noctua, thermalright mounting and quality is top notch as well. This is not to mention that there are even other options that even make more sense into recommending to quiet seeker builders, like Scythe, with the release of Kotetsu they placed a very good tower cooler that might be slightly inferior to the performance of the U14S / TS140, but it costs $35 (sometimes goes up to $40), still its a very good offering with a very decent fans and you wont lose much more performance over the coolers mentions before.

To me $40-50 is the sweet spot on CPU coolers, below this you might end up with a decent cooler with a bad fan or a decent fan with a bad cooler, i think the $40-50 mark is very competitive and gives you the most performance for your money, specially for those who look for quiet pcs. Also higher than this you might get 1 or 2C (and this is a big maybe), and you will likely pay more for nothing, and even more not all like Noctua color scheme.

nimo11

Post by nimo11 » Fri Jun 01, 2018 5:32 am

i agree with that there is no big difference between some/most of them.
especially for me , that i'm not using very heavy applications and maybe will not have a separate gpu at all. so in terms of temp. i'll be able to live with most of them.
the main thing i'm looking for is silence.
if there will be a cooler that can give me a satisfactory temps. without any fan at all, i'll be glad to go for it.
but , with a fan, i think that high temps. will result higher speed of the fan=more noise.
that's the reason i'm looking for a good combination of both parameters.
i'm leaving aside the price subject since i'm not frequently building a new system, and the difference is not so high to me.

Abula

Post by Abula » Fri Jun 01, 2018 5:02 pm

nimo11 wrote:i agree with that there is no big difference between some/most of them.
especially for me , that i'm not using very heavy applications and maybe will not have a separate gpu at all. so in terms of temp. i'll be able to live with most of them.
the main thing i'm looking for is silence.
if there will be a cooler that can give me a satisfactory temps. without any fan at all, i'll be glad to go for it.
but , with a fan, i think that high temps. will result higher speed of the fan=more noise.
that's the reason i'm looking for a good combination of both parameters.
i'm leaving aside the price subject since i'm not frequently building a new system, and the difference is not so high to me.
If you are truly worried about temperature and silence, then delid the CPU, you will gain a lot lower temperatures by deliding a cpu than using the biggest cooler in the market, i own a 8700K delided and never ever seen it pass 70C with below 1000rpms (turbo all cores at 4.7ghz), on the daily loads never reaches 60C, i also own a not delided 8700K and easily with the same tasks is around 14C hotter on load.

Again you will gain a lot more headroom deliding a cpu than with the biggest cooler you can find, specially on load, if you are worried about doing it yourself, there are people that do it for you like Silicone Lotery, among others in ebay.

nimo11

Post by nimo11 » Sat Jun 02, 2018 12:36 am

i must admit deliding a cpu is something i haven't heard before.
learn new things every day fro your's site.
i saw a video that explain how to do it.
honestly, i don't believe i'll do it, surly not from the beginning.
o.k so i won't use the biggest cooler in the market , can you give me 2 recommendations , one from noktua, and one from Scythe, and i''l check and decide between them?
i am thinking on relatively big size radiator, maybe 2 of them, and 1 fan.
my logic for that is more of passive parts that will aloud less fan.
correct me if i'm wrong with this theory.

btw, i saw that non of you recommend be quiet, is there any reason to that?

please another important question - I've been told that in the past Intel produced the highest core stock speed ( e.g 8700k with 3.7) without the K' for users that not planning o.c but want to have the highest core stock speed.
have you any info if they'll do it also for the 8 gen. cpu's ?

Abula

Post by Abula » Sat Jun 02, 2018 5:53 am

nimo11 wrote:o.k so i won't use the biggest cooler in the market , can you give me 2 recommendations , one from noktua, and one from Scythe, and i''l check and decide between them?
My recommendations are based from what i consider the best performance/noise/value, this can change easily because of where you live and what how much they cost on your country, none the less, they are good coolers that will be good for even a 8700K

Scythe Mugen 5
Noctua NH-U14S (go with the S to avoid blocking the first PCIe slot)
nimo11 wrote:i am thinking on relatively big size radiator, maybe 2 of them, and 1 fan.
The biggest gain is the first fan, usually the second fan will give you around 2-4C, but you are welcome to try it, the best thing for me on building a PC is to experience everything i can, so buy the fan and test it, see if you like it or if you feel it only adds more noise. If you go with Scythe i would suggest to try out the NF-A12x25 PWM, it would be a very good fan for it.
nimo11 wrote:my logic for that is more of passive parts that will aloud less fan.
correct me if i'm wrong with this theory.
Again most of the coolers i recommend are based on value and performance, if you go with a big cooler it will also be fine, Thermalright LeGrandMacho would be the best cooler at low rpms, but once you go into high load on the cpu, you will need the fan to speed up, and the difference on load with another cpu cooler is very little. Again if you want to try it out, go for it, the cooler is very capable of cooling an 8700K
nimo11 wrote:btw, i saw that non of you recommend be quiet, is there any reason to that?
I like BeQuiet fans a lot, most of my builds have been upgraded to BL066/BL067, now the coolers.... i think they are good coolers, just that i havent tested them, in the US bequiet used to be a very expensive brand, and Scythe and Thermalright have been delivering very good value, so those are the one that i have been buying, maybe in the future ill give a try to a BeQuiet cooler.
nimo11 wrote:please another important question - I've been told that in the past Intel produced the highest core stock speed ( e.g 8700k with 3.7) without the K' for users that not planning o.c but want to have the highest core stock speed.
If you want the highest core clock speed, then wait a couple of weeks for the Intel Core i7-8086K anniversary edition CPU gets listed at retailers, it will be allowed to turbo to 5.0ghz.
nimo11 wrote:have you any info if they'll do it also for the 8 gen. cpu's ?
Z390 will come soon, and we will see an 8 core, probably named 8800K.

nimo11

Post by nimo11 » Sat Jun 02, 2018 7:47 am

thank you. important info.
just a bit confused about the cooler.
you recommended on two : Scythe Mugen 5 , Noctua NH-U14S
so i didn't understood why you mentioned late the Thermalright LeGrandMacho.
it's because i said i prefer a big cooler/radiator with less fan?
but the other two. at list the noktua , are not the same in radiator size?

do you see any sonic advantage with the Thermalright LeGrandMacho?

and just curious, why do you prefer the 14s over the 15s?

any way i,m planning to use only 1 fan on the pcu cooler, i'm working now with my scythe ninja rev. 2 with only one fan and it works very well.

the i7 8086K is interesting info .
the question is when it will be sell in the market and the price .
can be that the price of 8700k will drop a bit then.

Z390 is also interesting info, since i liked the new features of the h370 chip with the new usb and better wifi, and i understand the the z390 wil have those additional features.
i believe it'll be lot more expansive then the h370.
i was looking for a h370 mobo that have build in wifi , display port and the latest realtek 1220, and couldn't find one.
each of them have only part of the above.
i believe that there will be z390 mobo's with all of them, but again, when and how much?

lb_felipe

Post by lb_felipe » Sat Jun 02, 2018 11:40 am

Abula, Noctua NH-U14S does block the first PCIe.

nimo11

Post by nimo11 » Sat Jun 02, 2018 12:31 pm

lb_felipe wrote:Abula, Noctua NH-U14S does block the first PCIe.
there is the noktua NH-C14S low profile which i believe will not block anything.
i was thinking about it but i'm afraid that since the cooler itself is not big enough , compare to 14s or 15s it will result more work from the fan.
thus is my logic theory.
as big is the cooler radiator, it be will cooling better and therefore, less fan needed.
maybe i'm wrong.

https://noctua.at/en/products/cpu-cooler-retail/nh-c14s

since i don't see myself dealing with my memory kit for a long time ( unless something will go wrong with it, hope not...) i think that for me To get to the ram kit by putting out the cooler it's not a major issue.
think that i have the same situation in my current pc with scythe ninja rev. 2
and i believe that i can be o.k with only one pci-e free slot.
so as i said, the core of my searching for a cooler is silence with sufficient fooling.

Abula

Post by Abula » Sat Jun 02, 2018 2:23 pm

My nh-u14 tr4 doesn't block my first pci slot, I guess it will depend on the position of the CPU socket on your motherboard.

But if you believe it will and you want the first pcie, go with scythe Mugen 5.

lodestar

Post by lodestar » Sat Jun 02, 2018 6:15 pm

Whether any particular motherboard will have a PCI-E slot blocking issue with the NH-U14S is easy to check on the Noctua website. It is of course better to check for compatibility before buying a motherboard rather than after...

nimo11

Post by nimo11 » Sun Jun 03, 2018 12:40 am

unfortunately it's not updated and they don't have there any of the H370 boards which i'm interesting in.
i sent them a question about it by their contact .

nimo11

Post by nimo11 » Tue Jun 05, 2018 1:41 am

i decided to go for the nh-u14s.
i'm a bit worry about it's size inside the case. (which will probably be fractal design r5 or define c).
this is it's dimensions:
https://noctua.at/en/nh-u14s/specification

i saw in this video that there are two different directions you can assemble it.
if it's so, it can solve the issue with high profile ram kit.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fVtthbQHZZQ

the thing that worry me is the cooler dimension/depth ( they call it height ) between the cpu and the side cover of the case.
i checked on my antec p-182 case and that depth, from the beginning of the cooler( the place it's attached to the cpu) to the side cover of the case is around 130-140 mm ( my current cooler is scythe ninja 2 rev. b).
on the u-14s is 165 mm.
pleas correct me if i'm wrong.

yakuman

Post by yakuman » Tue Jun 05, 2018 6:02 am

nimo11 wrote:i decided to go for the nh-u14s.
i'm a bit worry about it's size inside the case. (which will probably be fractal design r5 or define c).
this is it's dimensions:
https://noctua.at/en/nh-u14s/specification

i saw in this video that there are two different directions you can assemble it.
if it's so, it can solve the issue with high profile ram kit.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fVtthbQHZZQ

the thing that worry me is the cooler dimension/depth ( they call it height ) between the cpu and the side cover of the case.
i checked on my antec p-182 case and that depth, from the beginning of the cooler( the place it's attached to the cpu) to the side cover of the case is around 130-140 mm ( my current cooler is scythe ninja 2 rev. b).
on the u-14s is 165 mm.
pleas correct me if i'm wrong.
I have the u14s in my R5 with room to spare. I also have the Kotetsu in my newer Define C build. Based on manufacturers' specs, the Define C can contain up to 170mm height of CPU heatsinks, so the u14s' 165mm height is fine too. If your P182 is 140mm then they won't fit for sure.

nimo11

Post by nimo11 » Tue Jun 05, 2018 8:43 am

may be i'm wrong with my calculation.
140 mm refers to the distance from where the cooler body starts near the cpu and the side cover of my current p-182 case.
i think that there is some small distance between the cpu and the cooler body.

the R5 width is 232 mm, only 23mm wider then the antec p-182' and the define c is 5 mm less then the p-182.
as i said maybe i'm wrong and it's different variation of mobo and the way the cooler attached to the cpu.

another thing.
on their spec the say for both of them, the R5 and define C :
FRONT FANS: 2x 120/140 mm fans (included is 1 Fractal Design Dynamic GP14 fan, 1000 RPM speed)
REAR FANS: 1x 120/140 mm fans (included is 1 Fractal Design Dynamic GP14 fan, 1000 RPM speed)
TOP FANS: 3x 120/140 mm fan (not included)
BOTTOM FANS: 2x 120/140 mm fan (not included)
SIDE FANS: 1x 120/140 mm fan (not included)

so fist the ones that do included are they 120 or 140?
and which and how many stock fans you get when getting the package?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

yakuman

Post by yakuman » Tue Jun 05, 2018 12:59 pm

Height specification count from the heatsink's base where it touches the CPU, not from the bottom of the fins. e.g. Noctua NH-U14S:

Stock R5 fans:
1 x 140mm front intake
1 x 140mm back exhaust

Stock Define C fans:
1 x 120 front intake
1 x 120 back exhaust

Wherever it states "included" means they're stock fans pre-populated with the case, otherwise the other numbers mean the case has the capacity for such fans. GP14 = 140mm model. GP12 = 120mm model.

Side note: I personally like the Define C more than R5. Unless you absolutely want a mounting slot for internal CD/DVD/BD burners, have an absurdly long GPU, or loads of drives, there's abundantly wasted space in the R5. It's not just space efficiency, but due to how close the intake fans are next to the hot internal components, airflow reaches them quicker. Heck, if it wasn't for my ATX mobo, I would've went for the Define Mini C.

Edit:The R5 stock fans' model is Fractal Design Dynamic GP14. The fan is pretty quiet at 5V and 7V using the built-in fan controller, but I hear a ticking noise despite the case being on my floor while I sit down with my ear almost perpendicularly above it. The Define C stock fans' model is the newer Fractal Design Dynamic X2 GP12 fan. I was initially discouraged by the Define C because I always presumed that 140mm fans are generally better cooling performers and quieter than 120mm based on reading SPCR over the years, but such isn't the case here. The Define C fan is virtually inaudible with my ear next to it at ~400 RPM (lowest speed using my mobo's fan control). I'm impressed by it. I can't attest to its cooling performance though, as I only use the stock exhaust fan and the other I replaced with 2x BeQuiet! 140 fans.

nimo11

Post by nimo11 » Tue Jun 05, 2018 2:19 pm

thank you.
same as you i also was sure that 140mm fans should work quieter the 120, so i'm a bit surprised.
i assume that you wrote about the ticking you hear with the R5 being sure that technically nothing is wrong with that specific fan.

the thing is that i am planning to use internal cd/dvd bruner, although not so frequently.
i didn't know that the define C doesn't have this option.

i also sit kind of the same as you with my case on the floor.
but my antec p-182 don't have a fan at the front like the fractal design .
what you said about hearing ticking is a bit worry me.
if this will be the case , there is a way to replace this fan with a different one?
i'll continue with some research, taking into count also one of the b-quiet cases.

edit:
regarding the GP-14 fans, i see that they use them also with their newer case the R 6.
Last edited by nimo11 on Tue Jun 05, 2018 2:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.

yakuman

Post by yakuman » Tue Jun 05, 2018 2:31 pm

The ticking noise is actually quite common even dating back to Fractal's earlier models and I've seen many user reports of it. It's just a noise character of the fans, not a defect. It's noticeable, but quiet. Like Steve always suggest, always try the stock fans first to see if you can tolerate noise, then you can upgrade later if necessary. Replacing fans is easy. It's finding the ones you like that's hard.

Depending on perspective, a lack of 5.25" drive bays for burners can be good if you don't use them or bad if you do. Since you won't use it often, may be opt for an external burner. The main disadvantage of external is maybe reliability (but using them so infrequently is equivalent to being "reliable" :mrgreen:) compared to internal burners, but otherwise I bet they're all noisy when in use :twisted:.

Fractal GP fans is typical of stock case fans in that they're not the air pressure focused types, so they could be counter-intuitive since almost all cases now have intake dust filters. This would be fine as exhaust fans because those don't use filters, but for intakes any airflow obstruction could really use the right type of fans. But again, always test them out first to see if you're okay with temperatures. If not, upgrade later.

nimo11

Post by nimo11 » Tue Jun 05, 2018 2:41 pm

i hate ticking noise.
did you tried to replace one of the R5 fans and get an improvement?
i will think about the bruner.
some time i also check music cd's using the internal one.
but if i'll be convinced 100% that i prefer some case without it , i'll find some other solution.

i think i read about define C as being not very good in thermal subject, but i'll continue with my checking.

yakuman

Post by yakuman » Tue Jun 05, 2018 2:48 pm

I left the R5 stock fans in place, but added a 140mm Antec TruQuiet as a front intake as I was very cheap at the time. That PC is now for my mother (light usage), so temperatures are never a problem. Unfortunately, because the two front fans are running concurrently, I can't tell if the ticking is only from the R5 fan or Antec as well (I doubt it as the Antec is praised as one of the quietest 140mm available). I don't hear the exhaust R5 fan as the case is so deep from the seating position, so that is one you hopefully don't have to worry about.

I'm guessing the Define C is not as good thermally as R5 in certain professional reviews probably because they run high end GPU rigs and over long periods of time less space = cramped hot air that may be re-circulated. However, there are always solutions. For my setup, I removed the front panel and left just the intake dust filter and removed the unused PCIe brackets to create even more space for the GPU heat to exhaust. With my positive air-pressure airflow setup, I'm covered. In my case I can afford to remove these case components because my fans are inaudible on idle, while on load I'll probably be blasting media noise or music that will overpower any fan noise 8).

Gamers Nexus tested the temp difference with the Define C's front panel removed: https://www.gamersnexus.net/hwreviews/3 ... s-define-c

nimo11

Post by nimo11 » Tue Jun 05, 2018 11:58 pm

i see in most of the tests the the BQ cases are the quietest .
it comes On account of some heat, but since i'm not using heavy stuff i'm less worry about it.
i'll take a closer look to BQ.

i read some posts about r5 ticking/clicking .
wow! how many users wrote that they have it.
think i'll stay away from the r5.
why should i buy something and have to replace parts on it, or suffer from annoying noise?

what else worry me is that someone reported, and recorded it about clicking coming from noctua fan.
in that case it was a NF-A14 PWM.
the nh-u14s uses NF-A15.
i hope that it's not the same case with them.
did someone Experience clicking with the nh-u14s fan?
here is the case report and a recording.
https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/37 ... e-ticking/

i read several more reports about noktua fan ticking, also on SPCR.
this time from NF-P14.
and also from- NF-F12.

on other place someone wrote this:
"Invested in both Fractal Design 140mm HP Venturi and Be Quiet DC Pure Wings 2, that both make a ticking disturbing noise. Particularly audiable at low rpm. The latter was not PWM, but does still tick at lower speeds. I also own the Be Quiet 120mm PWM Pure Wings 2, that doesn't tick..."
maybe after all 120mm fans are better then 140 in the clicking aspect?

i have my antec p-182 case for about 8 years, working with their stock case fans.
they are not very quiet as at the beginning, but it has constant noise without any clicking.

from this test i see that antec true quiet fans are the most quiet, but it comes on account of air flow.
https://www.vortez.net/articles_pages/n ... ans,9.html

yakuman

Post by yakuman » Wed Jun 06, 2018 2:49 am

There are always trade offs. BQ = more expensive, larger case in most dimensions + other quirks. Fractal cases just happen to suit my needs more.
nimo11 wrote:why should i buy something and have to replace parts on it, or suffer from annoying noise?
That is the question of the day. It applies to so many products even from other fields like audio speakers and earphones that I've purchased and has affected my decisions. Nothing is perfect, regardless of price. You have to accept this fact and pick the best of aspects that are most important to your needs and wants. With PC cases, my priorities are:
1) Dimensions - because it had to fit a specific spot in my small room and
1) Noise - while only fans create noise, there's also thickness of panels of frames that affect vibrations when HDDs are operating.
3) Airflow considerations - I care about temperatures. Sufficient vents for air to enter and escape?
When it comes to fans, well these are easy to replace as mentioned earlier and can be controlled simply by changing their RPMs. I didn't plan to mod anything at first either, but as time progressed I thought of new ideas and remembered about some tips from others. They aren't required, but bonuses. Even if I would've went with another case or brand, I would still end up removing the front panel and PCIe slots to optimize airflow (my current PC now sits diagonally 1 metre away from, allowing some luxury).

There are tons of fans that tick, regardless of size or brand. Some more than others. Some even from exact same models too due to production variation. Just look at SPCR's sample data on the Antec TrueQuiet 140: http://www.silentpcreview.com/140mm_Fan_Roundup2 -
2 of the 5 samples we listened to had a slight clicking but this was only audible when placing the fans right up to our ear. This might not be desirable as a desk fan but inside a PC it's perfectly acceptable.
Luck also plays a role. The more you research, the more it will look daunting. I've done my fair of daily research on hardware for over 6 years before I ended with my current build (long story behind that). It seems BeQuiet! fans are one of the more reliable ones when it comes to smooth-sounding brands, which may account for their higher pricing. Their cooling performance isn't bad either.

nimo11

Post by nimo11 » Wed Jun 06, 2018 3:54 am

i agree with most of the things you wrote.
nothing is perfect, but i'm trying to do my research, of course up to some limit, otherwise you can lose your mind, as you hinted .
the strange thing is that BQ cases in my country are not more expansive then fractal d.
their coolers are a bit more expensive that noktua.
maybe it's the import taxes and shipping costs to america.
i don't have problem with the case dimention subject.

do you have some comment to this?
"did someone Experience clicking with the nh-u14s fan? "

p.s
doe's define c have manual speed controllers for the case fans, like the r5?

yakuman

Post by yakuman » Wed Jun 06, 2018 5:42 am

nimo11 wrote:do you have some comment to this?
"did someone Experience clicking with the nh-u14s fan? "
No clicking or ticking noises with mine on idle (low RPMs), but it's loud at max speeds and quite noticeable even inside the R5. On idle I couldn't perceive any noise even up close with case opened, so I'm impressed by it too, just not on load. SPCR reviewed it and other versions of the fan in their 140mm roundups.

The Define C has no fan controller, but that shouldn't matter. Most modern UEFI allow granular fan control and curves. They're leagues ahead of the 3-leveled fan controller from the R5.

nimo11

Post by nimo11 » Wed Jun 06, 2018 6:42 am

from this test recording i as well didn't like something about the noctua sound at max load speed.
but since i think that my pc will be most of the time between idle to some medium speed i'm glad to hear what you have wrote.
in this test the noktua was great on idle.
but thIs test refer to NH-D15.
it starts on 3:20 minute.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U2hum55Qufo

meanwhile i got some answer from noctua regarding some question i asked about memory type/size etc. , after sending them my planned pc info:

"We'd also recommend going for the NH-U14S in this case as it offers enough cooling performance for your CPU. Since you only want to install 2x8GB memory modules you can install them on the "B-Channel" on your motherboard, which means that you can use RAM modules of any size.

If you plan on expanding your system memory, you may want to look into getting the NH-D15S as it allows you to install up to 64mm tall RAM modules in all DIMM slots."

it's a bit strange to me since the 15s a bit wider then the 14s.
Depth (with fan) 135 mm, while 14s is Depth (with fan) 78 mm.
all other dimensions are almost the same.
will 5 mm less in the Height of the 15s make the difference?

regarding the case i decided to let go the internal dvd player/bruner .
so the define C is an option. i liked what you have said about it's sonic nature.
i'll do some researches compare to one of the BQ , which from short reading their "silent 600" excellent in sonic aspect, but less in airflow.

do you use on the define c the u-s14 cooler?

yakuman

Post by yakuman » Wed Jun 06, 2018 6:57 am

To quote myself earlier:
yakuman wrote:I have the u14s in my R5 with room to spare. I also have the Kotetsu in my newer Define C build.
Height difference only makes a difference if your case has limited space, otherwise maybe some performance and weight differences? From memory I believe the NH-D15S is only 1 or 2 degrees better than the NH-U14S, but only due to their dual fans. Based on single fan config, the NH-U14S was actually better in one of the other site reviews (I think it was TweakTown), so it's more efficient in terms of weight, size and # of fans. But the Scythe Kotetsu is even more efficient than the NH-U14S and it was due to SPCR's review that attracted me to it since years ago.

nimo11

Post by nimo11 » Wed Jun 06, 2018 7:20 am

sorry i didn't remember it.

i don't want/need to work with 2 fans.
the question is will if the u-14s fit inside the define C.

the Scythe Kotetsu you choose for the define c is interesting to check. what is the exact model?
what are the reasons you prefered it over the noktua?
did you compare the both of them also sonic wise?

sorry for so many questions, but i guess since you have been i kind of a same position, you can understand , and your info is very helpful for me.

yakuman

Post by yakuman » Wed Jun 06, 2018 8:01 am

You forgot a lot of things :wink:, but with so much info that's not surprising. Define C's max heatsink height is 170mm. U14S = 165mm. Kotetsu = 160mm high, so no problems for both. Scythe Kotetsu model is SCKTT-1000. There's a new model SCKTT-2000 that I haven't looked into that much, but it could be worth investigating.

The Kotetsu is better than the Noctua in all areas except for warranty, packaging, and probably thermal paste & fan longevity. The fan is another matter: at idle, the Noctua fan is inaudible while the Kotetsu has a faint "whirling" kind of noise (not sure how to describe it) that's a little noticeable, but not exactly annoying. This is with my ear next to them, so inside a case away from normal listening position, it's impossible to hear except on load. I can't compare the differences on load because they're each in different cases and rooms, but maybe the Kotetsu is a slight notch quieter at max RPMs. As usual, at max speeds there are no ticking noises, just broadband turbulent wind.

Why Kotetsu is better than Noctua heatsink? Aside from lower pricing (at least in North America), it's because of SPCR's review: http://www.silentpcreview.com/article1391-page6.html At each dBA level, it tops the charts in temperatures. Sure there are higher performancers even back then, but those heatsinks are bulkier, pricier, and heavier (I also favour the lighter coolers due to less pressure on motherboard), so it's still the efficient king in my eyes. Just watch out for the newer plastic washers for LGA1151 (don't use them, otherwise the CPU contact will lessen and will result in higher temperatures).

nimo11

Post by nimo11 » Wed Jun 06, 2018 9:31 am

the test results of the Scythe Kotetsu are really very good.
unfortunately in my country this brand is not common and the only models i found here are not Scythe Kotetsu , but ninja and mugen.
so it seems i'l stay with the u-14s.

i'm not assembling this pc by myself, wish i had the knowledge for that, but the store Laboratory where i'm buying all the components will do it.
so i really don't know what they'll do with the plastic washers for LGA1151, you mentioned.

regarding this: "They're leagues ahead of the 3-leveled fan controller from the R5."
i understand that with the define c you control the case fan speed using the bios.
can you put it on any speed you want, or there are several fixed stages?

is it the same with the cpu cooler fan speed?

yakuman

Post by yakuman » Wed Jun 06, 2018 9:50 am

Like Abula stated, once your reach a certain plateau, lots of coolers are roughly similar in temperatures and noise, so the NH-U14S is still a solid option. I had nearly zero knowledge in PC assembly too, but due to my etailer shutting down in Canada last year (NCIX), and without wanting to compromise on the specific PC parts that I pain-stakingly selected, I forced myself to learn through researching YouTube. I only learned it since last year :lol: Really only need these things: patience and a (magnetic) screwdriver.

the plastic washers for LGA1151 issue only applies to the Kotetsu. The Noctua isn't affected.

The UEFI fan control depends on your motherboard. Most can in fact control voltage or PMW. My AsRock Taichi Z370 can do it. Other users know more about other brands and models, but I think only ASUS is the weakest in this area, except for software fan control. So yes, both case and cooler fans work with the fan headers.