Aerocool FP01 - avoid at all costs

Control: management of fans, temp/rpm monitoring via soft/hardware

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

flinx

Aerocool FP01 - avoid at all costs

Post by flinx » Sat May 15, 2010 6:31 am

Got this a while ago, but only now had the time to install it. Tried it out at first outside the case, but the fan control didn't work. After a lot of troubleshooting, I finally discovered the 12V wire to the molex connector was loose. Fixed that, but the trouble didn't end there though - when trying to install the unit in the case, I discovered the mounting holes were placed at the bottom of the unit. In other words, they weren't aligned with the normal spot you'd have holes. I had to resort to using some double-sided tape in order to get it mounted inside the case.

There was no driver for the card reader in Windows or the disc that came with it, but thankfully Windows 7 managed to find one automagically online. Unfortunately it turns out the reader is really slow. I'm getting 5.5 MB/sec read speeds from Memory Stick Pro Duo cards, whereas the generic cheap junk reader from Clas Ohlson I was going to replace it with manages 16.5 MB/sec.

If you want a fan controller, get something else - there's better products out there. Same for the card reader functionality.