help a noob: fans for Antec p193

Control: management of fans, temp/rpm monitoring via soft/hardware

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

BaF

help a noob: fans for Antec p193

Post by BaF » Thu Jun 03, 2010 1:05 pm

Hi! I'm trying to put together a rather quiet gaming computer that will also be used all-round and for some multimedia work. I have made a list of the parts I've decided so far, and I'm now thinking about fans for the case, an Antec Performance One P193. As I am rather noob and this is my 1st post I'm hoping for some suggestions and guidance from you. Below is the list as of now:

Case: Antec Performance One P193
PSU: Antec Continuous Power 850W
MB: Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD5
CPU: Intel Core i7 930, 2.80GHz
CPU HS: Noctua NH-D14, 140mm fan (will be replaced)
CPU HS-fan: two 120mm Nexus fan
RAM: Corsair 12 GB (6x2GB) 1600MHz XMS3-12800
GPU: PowerColor Radeon HD5850 PCS+ 1GB COD
Case-damping: be quiet! for Fulltower, black

SSD: 160GB 2.5" SSD Intel X25-M G2 SATA
HDD: 2TB Western Digital Caviar Green Power II
HDD suspension: Nexus Disk Twin DTW-2300B
Backplane: Two ICYBOX 2x2,5" to 3.5" SATA-HDD
DVD: Samsung 22X DL SH-S223C, black

Display: Two HP TFT ZR24W 24" IPS-panel
Mouse: QPAD 5K Pro Gaming
KBD: Microsoft SideWinder X4

I need the IcyBox backplane for hotswaping media disks and may at times have four 2.5" hdds at 5200 rpm running in them. One will be mounted with a 3.5" to 5.25" bay converters in the lowest of the external 5.25"-bays in the case, and I am hoping that that will make it somewhat ventilated. The other IcyBox will be mounted in the free 3.5" bay directly below. Actually I suppose it is not a true backplane, since the hdd's are connected with a sata-cable each, but it is trayless and fanless which is necessary.
The DVD will be mounted in the topmost 5.25" bay and direcly under that goes the WD HDD suspended in a 5.25". The SSD will be mounted in any internal 3.5".
The fans on the Noctua CPU-cooler will be replaced by two Nexus 120mm, as was tested in the spcr-review of the cooler. I am hoping that the computer vendor will do that for me, as I am having the computer completely built by them. I am however worried about having the comp shipped with cooler attatched to the cpu, it seems risky. Also, the vendor says hat they never switch the cooling for the graphics card, I suppose this is either because of warranty or transportation risks.
The computer will not be placed on the floor, more likely on a shelf above the screens.
So, what case fans should I get and where should I place them?