120mm fan recommendations for GD09 build

Control: management of fans, temp/rpm monitoring via soft/hardware

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

jebo_4jc

120mm fan recommendations for GD09 build

Post by jebo_4jc » Sun Sep 28, 2014 11:46 am

I'm planning to move my existing HTPC into a Silverstone GD09. This case has room for three 120mm fans and two 80mm fans. It comes with one 120mm fan, which I assume I will be ignoring or put into use somewhere else.

My HTPC has the following parts:

Intel Core i7 2600k
ASUS P8P67 Pro
One HDD
Two SSD
One blu ray drive
One or two MSI GTX 780 Gaming

I have been using two GPUs in the system and I'm hoping to continue to do so. I could possibly move one of the GPUs to another system at some point, however. I'm planning to buy a Noctua NH-C14 to cool the CPU.

Would three NF-S12A FLX be good options for case fans? How about the 80mm options?

I don't intend to overclock the system. I know two GTX 780s will place a strain on the cooling system when gaming, so I'm OK with some noise while under full load, but when idle or under more moderate loads, I want the system to be as quiet as possible 100% of the time. So, my current plan is to put efficient fans in all of the available positions to maximize cooling potential while controlling noise.

Thanks for any advice.

Abula

Re: 120mm fan recommendations for GD09 build

Post by Abula » Sun Sep 28, 2014 1:31 pm

How are you planning to control the case fans? software? bios? I really didn't check much on P67 motherboards and Asus to know how good is earlier version of FanXpert.

If you were going full PWM i would go with Noctua NF-S12A PWM or NF-S12B PWM REDUX. They go very low under PWM control,

If you want 3pin and you are undervolting via software or resistors, then my choice would be Scythe Gentle Typhoon 120mm Case Fan- 1150RPM, 16dba, 37.1cfm, they undervolt pretty good,

For the 80mm, i would first try without them to see if there is a gain or not, but if you do want for PWM i would go with Noctua NF-R8 redux PWM. For 3pin, Noctua NF-R8 redux-1200.

quest_for_silence

Post by quest_for_silence » Sun Sep 28, 2014 1:39 pm

jebo_4jc wrote:Would three NF-S12A FLX be good options for case fans? How about the 80mm options?

Given their placement, probably the 80mm fans will be unnecessary or marginally useful.
If you don't OC the system a bit of undervolting would help a lot more than those, with reference to the CPU (these days I run a i5-2320 oc'ed to 3.6GHz at about 55°C under Prime95 with just one 140mm spinning around 380rpm).
Still with reference to the CPU, IIRC the P8P67 CPU header shouldn't be able to drive voltage controlled fans, so take care how to use the upcoming NH-C14.

With reference to two GPUs, frankly I don't know how positive pressure may work in such a scenario: at first glance the two cards won't receive any direct fresh airflow (while in a proper tower with bottom and front intake it would be different), and the exhaust are restricted and a bit too far from them (I'm referring to the two 80mm slots).

About the Noctuas, they are quiet, and nominally move lots of air, so they are among the best option, maybe an expensive option, but I don't think that matters, don't it? Probably some questions may rise about how to drive them: you have just two headers for three fans (and I don't remember where the 4-pin was a fake or real PWM), and their settings are not suitable for extremely low noise levels. You may use SpeedFan, of course.

Anyway, with reference to your concern about noise at low load, given the renowned Kepler's efficiency and the good cooling on the CPU, there shouldn't be any real issue about it from the five Noctua fans (set aside how to run them).

jebo_4jc

Post by jebo_4jc » Sun Sep 28, 2014 2:07 pm

Excellent recommendations everyone. Thanks so much.

I anticipate using molex->3 pin adaptors to undervolt to 5v or 7v for many of the fans if the motherboard can't properly handle it.

I'm not as concerned about cost as I am getting the right products. I've had HTPCs since the Athlon XP days (circa 2005) and the various iterations have taught me not to skimp on the cooling. If something is going to be in the living room, it needs to be quiet, even if it costs more.

bkoehn
Friend of SPCR

Post by bkoehn » Fri Jan 09, 2015 10:51 am

I've just built on the GD09 as well.
I believe my configuration is similar to yours, in that my mechanical HDD has to be placed in the vertical position under the optical bay using the included bracket.
There is a bit of padding below the HDD, but the other connections are not grommeted or otherwise noise/vibration isolated.
I went ahead with installation, and find that the HDD seek noise is quite noticeable!
The vibrations come straight out of the front of the case, in a way i've never really noticed in any other case of built with.

I'm wondering if you've had a similar experience? Any thoughts on further sound isolation. There is very little room left to work in this case as is - so i can't see a way to suspend the HDD. The only option seems to be to remove the optical drive and use rubber grommets in that bay...

Anyone with GD09 - please help!?

---EDIT---
I've moved the SSD to the painfully under-engineered spot behind the PSU, in order to get the HD into the horizontal bay below the optical drive. Using the included rubber grommets is critical for noise isolation, however it took some squeezing and pushing in order to fit the optical drive back on top with the grommeted HD below. This seems like a serious (though workable) design flaw. But i'm happy to report the seek noise is now un-noticeable! On Overclockers.com, someone noted you can drill holes and mount an ssd to the front facing panel (vertically) to avoid the hassle of mounting behind the PSU.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.