Quiet 140 mm Red LED Fan

Control: management of fans, temp/rpm monitoring via soft/hardware

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

koxy

Quiet 140 mm Red LED Fan

Post by koxy » Fri Nov 28, 2014 3:23 am

Hello,
I'm looking for quiet 140 mm red led fan, already have Cougar CF-V14 and its a bit loud for me even at 500 rpm and also wanna replace two fractal 140 mm fans(R4 case) due to annoying bearing noise even i run them at 5v, still hear it...consider Antec TrueQuiet but maybe now its something better ? Please help !!! :D

Abula

Re: Quiet 140 mm Red LED Fan

Post by Abula » Fri Nov 28, 2014 6:21 am

Welcome to SPCR!!!!

Not many choices on 140, and on LED are fewer, and quiet....

If you were to be fine without led or adding your own led strips, i would go with Antec True Quiet 140 or Noctua NF-P14s redux-900.

If LED on the fan is a must... then i would probably try Phanteks Series Premier 140mm LED Case Cooling Fan PH-F140SP_BK_WLED, there are 3 colors, if they are like the none led, they can be undervolted to 550rpms or so.

koxy

Post by koxy » Sat Nov 29, 2014 2:48 am

Abula wrote:Welcome to SPCR!!!!

Not many choices on 140, and on LED are fewer, and quiet....

If you were to be fine without led or adding your own led strips, i would go with Antec True Quiet 140 or Noctua NF-P14s redux-900.

If LED on the fan is a must... then i would probably try Phanteks Series Premier 140mm LED Case Cooling Fan PH-F140SP_BK_WLED, there are 3 colors, if they are like the none led, they can be undervolted to 550rpms or so.
Thanks,
As You said not many options with led fans Phanteks dB(A) level is very same as Cougar, so i stick with Antec, already ordered 5 :) Is any good&quiet alternative for cpu coolers fits to noctua cooler ? I have Dual NF-A15 fans and over 750 rpm it makes some metalic noise makes me crazy. Thanks again for advice.

Abula

Post by Abula » Sat Nov 29, 2014 8:38 am

koxy wrote: i stick with Antec, already ordered 5 :)
Good choice =), worth mentioning that for example on R4 with its built in fan controller you can take them to around 400rpms or so, i believe that you can still play with the built in switch. To take them to 200rpms you need a motherboard like Asus that when it boots it ramps the fans, when the FaXpert loads its drops them down, in essence this fans have a higher starting voltage than the minimum running voltage, this is the reason the fan controllers will only drop it around its minimum starting voltage. Either way at 400rpms the Antec True quiet 140 should be quiet, but with an Asus motherboard they are match made in heaven. I'll leave you a graph of it,

koxy wrote:Is any good&quiet alternative for cpu coolers fits to noctua cooler ? I have Dual NF-A15 fans and over 750 rpm it makes some metalic noise makes me crazy. Thanks again for advice.
I own 3x NF-A15 PWM, and to me they are very good fans, SPCR didnt like them as much as the old iteration NF-P14, which you can read on the SPCR First 140 mm Fan Roundup: Noctua, Phanteks, Xigmatek

Now what options do you have.... the NF-A15 is a 140mm fan on a 120mm frame hole fan, there are some that follow this design so the clips should match, here some with their graphs so you can check the range of operation,

Noctua NF-A15 PWM (the one that drop the lowest of all, but to some point not worth to drop as low as the rpms here do matter much more than on case fans)

Thermalright TY147 (worth mentioning that the Black n White version drops lower than the green/blue, so be careful if this is the choice)

Prolimatech Ultra Sleek Vortex 140 (a very interesting fan, cools as good as a thick fan, has full ball bearing and depending on the motherboard can drop close to 350rpms)

Noctua NF-P14 PWM REDUX (this is probably the most worth of all, as it follows the same design that SPCR liked, sadly i dont own one to help you with the graph, but it should drop very low as all my noctuas do).

koxy

Post by koxy » Sat Nov 29, 2014 11:04 am

Abula wrote: I own 3x NF-A15 PWM, and to me they are very good fans, SPCR didnt like them as much as the old iteration NF-P14, which you can read on the SPCR First 140 mm Fan Roundup: Noctua, Phanteks, Xigmatek

Now what options do you have.... the NF-A15 is a 140mm fan on a 120mm frame hole fan, there are some that follow this design so the clips should match, here some with their graphs so you can check the range of operation,
Thanks very much, really appreciate it. What about Phanteks PH-140PH ? http://www.amazon.co.uk/Phanteks-PH-F14 ... ks+PH-F140 heard them in the SPCR test and sounds amazing.

There is sample of mine NF-A15, do you have same weird noise ? it start from 750 rpm.
http://vocaroo.com/i/s0oJDppZfgHT

Don't mind to keep NF-A15, for my haswell clocked at 4.2 Ghz are ok. However i can push it to 4.5 Ghz,better temp results i have with fans around 900 rpm (temp below 80 C) but that horrible bearing noise...

Abula

Post by Abula » Sat Nov 29, 2014 12:01 pm

koxy wrote:There is sample of mine NF-A15, do you have same weird noise ? it start from 750 rpm.
http://vocaroo.com/i/s0oJDppZfgHT

Don't mind to keep NF-A15, for my haswell clocked at 4.2 Ghz are ok. However i can push it to 4.5 Ghz,better temp results i have with fans around 900 rpm (temp below 80 C) but that horrible bearing noise...
Cant say that mine do that noise, but mine are the retail NF-A15 PWM, which are slightly different than the included on the NH-D15, practically they are NF-A14 PWM on a NF-A15 frame, what different is that yours are 1500rpms, and mine are 1200rpms, kinda like using the LNA adapter.... but i can still use the LNA and drop lower curve.... which is meaningless =).
koxy wrote:Thanks very much, really appreciate it. What about Phanteks PH-140PH ? http://www.amazon.co.uk/Phanteks-PH-F14 ... ks+PH-F140 heard them in the SPCR test and sounds amazing.
Not much i can say here, as i dont own one of those, but i do trust blindly SPCR so it should be a good fan. Worth mentioning that its a 3pin fan, not as your NF-A15 which are 4pin PWM, so those fans you will need to undervolt them.... depending on the motherboard, some cant on CPU_FAN headers, or resort to a external fan controller. There is a 4pin PWM version, not the same fan though, here are my impressions in case you are interested, Phanteks 140mm Case/Radiator Cooling Fan (PH-F140XP_BK).

Personally i would go with Noctua NF-P14 REDUX PWM, its a good fan according to Lucas, and you also have SPCR long time being the standard on 140mm fans, even today is one of the best still, just this are the newer version of the same fan. I went with prolimatech mostly because im going with an FT05 in the near future, so i wanted fans that are fine with horizontal placement, and these have real ball bearings that should handle better this.

Btw, checking your signature.... im really tempted to go with twin MSI GTX970s, but im stall atm with some things that i have read, maybe you can help with your experience,

1) Any coil whine on yours? is it tolerable or noticeable?
2) Sticker... some say it ruin a fan that the glue kinda mess it, that future revision will not come with the sticker over the fan, did yours had this issue?
3) Fan stalling, some say that there was like an error on the fan control where one fan didnt trigger, so the second fan goes to 100%, if you push it and help it start then both fans behave normal... but its like not enough to start, did you encounter this?

koxy

Post by koxy » Sat Nov 29, 2014 3:27 pm

Abula wrote: Btw, checking your signature.... im really tempted to go with twin MSI GTX970s, but im stall atm with some things that i have read, maybe you can help with your experience,

1) Any coil whine on yours? is it tolerable or noticeable?
2) Sticker... some say it ruin a fan that the glue kinda mess it, that future revision will not come with the sticker over the fan, did yours had this issue?
3) Fan stalling, some say that there was like an error on the fan control where one fan didnt trigger, so the second fan goes to 100%, if you push it and help it start then both fans behave normal... but its like not enough to start, did you encounter this?

Ad1 I'm nearly 100% sure all Msi 9XX coil whine, mine starts couple days ago im gonna RMA it and take Asus, if You have quiet PC You will hear it for sure.
Ad2 Nope
Ad3 No Fans working with no problem, checked today and everything seems fine.

I wouldn't recommended Msi cards to anyone who likes silentpc, i would go with asus, there is a less problematic card on market atm.

skypine27

Post by skypine27 » Sun Feb 15, 2015 9:17 am

/Are the Thermaltake Pure 140 and Luna 140's any good at low RPM (500 ish)? Do they suck??

I really like their looks. I want to put 2 x Pure 140s (white) to replace my 1x 200 and 1 x140, and put 4 x Luna 140's (red) on the Corsair H110i GT I have incoming.

I notice these fans don't get much press at all, which I'm guessing is bad? In their ad pics, they look great (IMO). of course they do, that's the publishers job. The 2 x 140mm Pure Whites are intakes, and you can see the 120mm Luna Reds on the top rad:

They will be going in my system below (again, replacing the h100i with the 110i GT):

I love the Akasa and Nocta's. Quiet and my temps are fine. Especially the Akasa's spool way down with Asus FanXpert. But they simply have no bling to them. Now that I have my first case ever with a side window, I have to value aesthetics into the picture...