Which scythe as a case fan?

Control: management of fans, temp/rpm monitoring via soft/hardware

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Hush

Which scythe as a case fan?

Post by Hush » Mon Apr 13, 2015 4:24 pm

I need a new 120mm fan for my new build, I kept the old case -Antec solo-.
the choice is between slipstream or glidestream, which is better, and what RPM version should i get?

quest_for_silence

Re: Which scythe as a case fan?

Post by quest_for_silence » Mon Apr 13, 2015 11:06 pm

Hush wrote:the choice is between slipstream or glidestream, which is better, and what RPM version should i get?

Personally I like the Slipstream more, the most useful version should be the 1200rpm but, depending of the mobo, the PWM version may be preferable.

Hush

Post by Hush » Tue Apr 14, 2015 12:29 pm

Truth is i already have a slip stream installed on this case, it's 6 years running, from back when i assembled my previous PC.
I am now upgrading everything, except the case and the PSU - a enermax 425W - that is still holding up great.
i hear a very annoying and loud noise from one of the fans, am not sure of the source, maybe it's the graphics card.
is it characteristic of these slip streams to act up after such a long time? the question is should i replace it given that i have it for 6 years?

quest_for_silence

Post by quest_for_silence » Tue Apr 14, 2015 1:37 pm

The information you supplied are too scarce to give you any meaningful advice.

Hush

Post by Hush » Sun Apr 19, 2015 9:27 pm

so i already have the new system intact, the old slipstream is still good.
i found that the video card fan is the loudest by far, (i first ran the PC without it installed, and it was silent)
though it emits a less annoying sound now that it was cleaned from all the dust, speedfan shows the fan at 1700rpm
this is an asus hd 6850 that was recommended here, but i do recall that there were a few versions of that card.

quest_for_silence

Post by quest_for_silence » Mon Apr 20, 2015 5:55 am

Hush wrote:speedfan shows the fan at 1700rpm
this is an asus hd 6850 that was recommended here, but i do recall that there were a few versions of that card.

The SPCR tested one is a relatively old card, and while it was well quieter than average at its time, now there are even quieter options: anyway, you may try to control your card's fan with SpeedFan 4.51 (it works with several Radeon cards, but I don't know whether it can control your one).

Hush

Post by Hush » Tue Apr 21, 2015 5:49 am

I kept the video card from the previous system.
my monitor is 22" 1680*1050, and i am not a heavy gamer
what new card would you recommend then? i was thinking the MSI GTX 760 TI

quest_for_silence

Post by quest_for_silence » Tue Apr 21, 2015 9:21 am

Hush wrote:what new card would you recommend then?
http://www.silentpcreview.com/Asus_Strix_GTX_960

The GTX 760 Ti is an OEM card which is mainly a rebadged GTX 670, a two generations older design, which offers quite the same performance of the standard GTX 760 and I don't think it will be quiet given the standard cooler. Anyway, all these cards are comparable with reference to graphics performances, but the GTX-960 own a noticeable advantage in much lower power consumption and noise.

For a quick comparison between the GTX-960 and the GTX-760Ti: http://gpuboss.com/gpus/GeForce-GTX-960 ... GTX-760-Ti

For a performance comparison between the GTX-960, the GTX-670 (or GTX-760Ti) and the GTX-760 (not Ti) you may check: http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/ASUS ... _STRIX_OC/

Hush

Post by Hush » Tue Apr 21, 2015 10:05 am

I meant the MSI 760 twin-frozr, not TI.
http://hexus.net/tech/reviews/graphics/ ... s/?page=10
but that asus 960 does have an advantage on power consumption, which is important,
because i have the G3258 Processor with a scythe kotetsu cooler that i plan to OC to the max,
and my power supply is a Enermax modu82 425W.

quest_for_silence

Post by quest_for_silence » Tue Apr 21, 2015 12:07 pm

Hush wrote:I meant the MSI 760 twin-frozr, not TI.

That misunderstanding doesn't matter, anyway, you can check by yourself the differences on your website of choice: the GTX-960 Strix is averagely faster but it draws 70 watt less, runs 15°C cooler, while emits 3dB less than the MSI GTX-760 TwinFrozr. What would you rather?

Hush

Post by Hush » Tue Apr 21, 2015 2:28 pm

I agree with you.
i was just saying, that even though i don't really need as of now, the extra performance of the 960,
but it's big advantage on power consumption - given that i have a 425W PSU- and the quieter operation, makes it worth getting over the 760.
also it's more future proof in terms of performance.

user587

Post by user587 » Sat Apr 25, 2015 1:08 am

The AMD 300x series is coming out very shortly, I would wait for them to be released and reassess all available options. No doubt the current nVidia lineup will undergo a price reduction, as nVidia always inflate their price as high as the market allows. You might even find the AMD offerings more to your liking.

As for the noise, if you're going to overclock the CPU with an aftermarket and have a few case fans running, shouldn't that be enough to drown out the GPU fan?

Also, out of my own curiosity, did you only notice it making an annoying sound recently (perhaps after making your system quieter)? Because unless you manage to reach the noise floor, taking out one noisy component will only make other noises more apparent. This is something I discovered recently.

Hush

Post by Hush » Sat Apr 25, 2015 5:44 pm

A few interesting observations.
I disabled the HD 6850 and enabled Intel graphics, and changed the old 1200 rpm slipstream to the PWM slipstream.
so now the only holdovers from the old rig are the enermax modu82+ PSU, and the antec solo case.
the 82+ fan emits an annoying noise not that loud but turbulent as if it's moving around vertically.
I guess it's time to replace the PSU, am thinking of getting the dark power 550W.
at same rpm The PWM fan was louder and emitted a very annoying - similar to that of the 82+ but more pronounced - sound out of the gate with PWM yet to be set in the MB.
the old slipstream ran at 950-100rpm, and so did the PWM when in DC mode.
Once PWM was enabled, rpm dropped to at around 250, rendering it dead silent.
But what's interesting is the temperature, the PWM at 250rpm lowered the MB temp 3-5 Celsius, compared to the 1200rpm fan running at 950-100.
Last edited by Hush on Sat Apr 25, 2015 6:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Hush

Post by Hush » Sat Apr 25, 2015 6:03 pm

user587 wrote:The AMD 300x series is coming out very shortly, I would wait for them to be released and reassess all available options. No doubt the current nVidia lineup will undergo a price reduction, as nVidia always inflate their price as high as the market allows. You might even find the AMD offerings more to your liking.

As for the noise, if you're going to overclock the CPU with an aftermarket and have a few case fans running, shouldn't that be enough to drown out the GPU fan?

Also, out of my own curiosity, did you only notice it making an annoying sound recently (perhaps after making your system quieter)? Because unless you manage to reach the noise floor, taking out one noisy component will only make other noises more apparent. This is something I discovered recently.
I think i will wait like you said.
I have only one case fan installed, and the aftermarket cpu cooler is a scythe kotetsu with the fan running at 600rpm when not under load. (when stressing with aida64 it goes up to 750)
but now i after disabling the video card i really am not sure how noisy it really was, because i attributed that fluctuating noise to the card but it turned out to be from the PSU.
yes, the noise that i initially referred to was something beyond annoying, and that surfaced only recently.
That noise was akin to that of a tractor working outside, goes up for 3 seconds stops the next 2 seconds and so on.
that was gone once i assembled the new rig and did a thorough cleaning of all the dust that accumulated. (i kept the old case).

Hush

Post by Hush » Sat Apr 25, 2015 6:35 pm

on second thought, AMD does not prioritize power consumption and silence,
so will the 300 series bring down the pricing of the 960 which is in a different niche?