Fans for heatsinks and cases

Control: management of fans, temp/rpm monitoring via soft/hardware

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Jbs

Fans for heatsinks and cases

Post by Jbs » Tue Jun 23, 2015 11:28 pm

Hello :)

I am going to get this case https://www.ncases.com/ and this heatsink: http://www.amazon.com/Scythe-SCKTT-1000 ... B00JZCHSOK

My question is which fans should are use for the heat sink and the case. (I'm not sure if I need different fans the heat sink.) I would like them to be as quite as possible.

[Mod: edited 2nd link]

Abula

Re: Fans for heatsinks and cases

Post by Abula » Wed Jun 24, 2015 7:42 am

The link of the cooler doesnt work, but grabbing the model number from the text, seems its a Scythe kotetsu, that wont fit on the Ncase M1, the best air cooled heatsink you can buy for that case, is Noctua NH-C14, and chose properly the motherboard, not all work as the CPU socket orientation matters.

whispercat

Post by whispercat » Thu Aug 27, 2015 3:20 pm

The stock fan on the Kotetsu is a Scythe Glidestream (120mm). Is there possibly an even better fan one could swap in?

quest_for_silence

Post by quest_for_silence » Fri Aug 28, 2015 8:57 am

whispercat wrote:The stock fan on the Kotetsu is a Scythe Glidestream (120mm). Is there possibly an even better fan one could swap in?
Did you actually try it?

boost

Post by boost » Sat Aug 29, 2015 1:41 am

Jbs wrote:Hello :)

I am going to get this case https://www.ncases.com/ and this heatsink: http://www.amazon.com/Scythe-SCKTT-1000 ... B00JZCHSOK

My question is which fans should are use for the heat sink and the case. (I'm not sure if I need different fans the heat sink.) I would like them to be as quite as possible.

[Mod: edited 2nd link]
The heatsink won't fit in the case. The maximum CPU cooler height for the ncase M1 is 130mm.
You can either use a small conventional heatsink or an AIO water cooler with one or two 120mm fans.
And the case works well only with SFX PSUs, ATX PSUs limit the graphic card's lenght to 195mm.
This case is very small and not all combinations of PSU, CPU cooler and graphics card fit. You need to do some research when you select components.

QUIET!

Post by QUIET! » Sat Aug 29, 2015 8:58 am

I like tower coolers so I would look at the new Noctua 92mm U shaped tower which has a 110mm height. They have another 92mm that is taller so be careful.

That height restriction is tough because I'm always looking for more but there seems to be a big gap between 120mm fan towers and real low profile coolers. The coolers in that gap are frequently expensive and most of the time cool worse than a budget 120mm tower which means higher fan speeds and more noise.

I just barely fit a Thermalright Macho 90 in a much larger case. I feel good about fitting the maximum CPU cooler in my case but that's too big for your case and I feel bad because a cheaper 120mm fan heat sink would probably cool better (but not fit in either case).

Good luck but I think that case is really designed for all in one water coolers which isn't usually a good part of a silent PC.

xan_user
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by xan_user » Sat Aug 29, 2015 9:12 am

Jbs wrote:Hello :)
WELCOME TO SPCR!!!!

what cpu?

whispercat

Post by whispercat » Thu Sep 03, 2015 4:16 pm

quest_for_silence wrote:
whispercat wrote:The stock fan on the Kotetsu is a Scythe Glidestream (120mm). Is there possibly an even better fan one could swap in?
Did you actually try it?
Don't have an answer to my question?

quest_for_silence

Post by quest_for_silence » Thu Sep 03, 2015 9:15 pm

whispercat wrote:
quest_for_silence wrote:

Did you actually try it?

Don't have an answer to my question?

Set aside such questions are completely OT in this thread (so that I'm wrong right at answering them), but "better" is a word with so many meanings. :twisted:

Hence, better with reference to what? Did you try it, in order to better specify that ("better with reference to what")? :?:

Please, start your own thread about that, if you have an answer or further questions. :wink:

whispercat

Post by whispercat » Fri Sep 04, 2015 7:32 pm

What are you talking about? The OP asked about the fans for a case and for the Kotetsu. He asked which fans he could use for the case, and which for the cooler, and if there were quieter ones.

How is my question about the Kotetsu, which was very similar, "off topic"?

Just forget it.

quest_for_silence

Post by quest_for_silence » Fri Sep 04, 2015 9:12 pm

whispercat wrote:How is my question about the Kotetsu, which was very similar, "off topic"?

Just forget it.

Well, so it isn't "completely OT", as I wrote, but just an hitch-hiking, or maybe a thread hijacking. Sorry for having been drastic.

Still remains the question: "better" with reference to "what".