[Quiet] 80x20mm?

Control: management of fans, temp/rpm monitoring via soft/hardware

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

heddhunter

[Quiet] 80x20mm?

Post by heddhunter » Wed Aug 26, 2015 8:05 pm

Can anyone recommend a source for a decent 80x80x20 fan? I've got one of those Mediasonic Probox drive enclosures and the fan is the worst. I don't mind spending a bit of coin for a good fan, but I cannot find 20mm deep fans for the life of me! It's like they have been wiped off the face of the internet.

Thanks

edh

Re: Silent 80x20mm?

Post by edh » Thu Aug 27, 2015 1:01 am

Any possibility of modding to make use of a 25mm thick fan? From what I have seen this enclosure has a rear mounted fan. If you were to place the replacement fan on the outside of the case instead of the inside this would allow a 25mm fan to be used. Better still, you could dismantle the thing entirely and cut a larger hole to make use of an externally mounted 92mm or 120mm fan and run it far slower. Alternatively their are more 15mm thick fans that might work if you don't like cutting holes in things.

heddhunter

Post by heddhunter » Thu Aug 27, 2015 8:31 am

edh wrote:Any possibility of modding to make use of a 25mm thick fan? From what I have seen this enclosure has a rear mounted fan. If you were to place the replacement fan on the outside of the case instead of the inside this would allow a 25mm fan to be used. Better still, you could dismantle the thing entirely and cut a larger hole to make use of an externally mounted 92mm or 120mm fan and run it far slower. Alternatively their are more 15mm thick fans that might work if you don't like cutting holes in things.
I'd prefer not to mod it. I didn't realize that 15mm was a thing. Is there a particular model you'd recommend?

xan_user
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by xan_user » Thu Aug 27, 2015 8:03 pm

i doubt you have to do any actual modding. looks like you take off their fan shroud and just screw in a new 80mm fan, then leave their shroud off.
no?

another option would be bolting on a 80mm to 120mm fan adapter. but that of course, would add a fair amount of depth to the unit. ~30mm