Quietest 120mm CASE fan?

Control: management of fans, temp/rpm monitoring via soft/hardware

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Abula

Re: Quietest 120mm CASE fan?

Post by Abula » Tue Jan 31, 2017 7:39 pm

VERiON wrote:And the 140mm version (SY1425HB12M-P) is also good?
Sorry cant tell you much about their 140s, i dont own any, for 140s, i prefer Noctua and thermalright. And in value, Antec True Quiet 140 are pretty good.
VERiON wrote:Gigabyte has a very good control over fans via HWmonitor software (on macOS) - similar to Asus FanXpert (I guess), but without that fancy graphics.
Just a multipoint table if temp = XXX > fan rpm = YYY. You can use any system temp sensor (cpu, mobo, gpu, etc), but only one type per one header.
Interesting, so its a hackingtosh? Remember to check if the header you will be using can control PWM or Voltage control, older mobos, usually (not always), had their CPU_FAN header as true pwm and the rest of headers (CHA_FAN / SYS_FAN) were "usually" voltage controlled, if this is the case, try to get 3pin fans.

quest_for_silence

Post by quest_for_silence » Tue Jan 31, 2017 10:15 pm

VERiON wrote:And the 140mm version (SY1425HB12M-P) is also good?
It should be decent (further notes also here).

VERiON

Post by VERiON » Wed Feb 01, 2017 12:45 am

Thanks guys!

And how "intelligent" is BIOS pwm (for 4 pin header)?
Well... I know how PWM works - good read here

But the question is - can it be tricked.
For instance:
with @1500rpm rated fan my mobo bios starts with fan running @900rpm - and that is about 60% of the nominal fan speed. And if I swap the fan for the one rated @800rpm - can PWM be tricked to run it still at 60% speed, a lovely 480rpm?

I'm talking about cold boot when all components have room temperature - so it's not the case of ramping up the fan because of the excessive heat.
I hate when I push the start button and fan starts "screaming" (by SPCR standard) @900rpm - until the system boots and software takes control and slows fans down.

I know every bios and manufacturer makes it different - but generally how this works?
1) PWM just sets the certain fan voltage according (it will be 7V in my case)
2) PWM is increasing the voltage until fan reaches certain rpm (it will be 900rpm in my case)

quest_for_silence

Post by quest_for_silence » Wed Feb 01, 2017 1:59 am

VERiON wrote:with @1500rpm rated fan my mobo bios starts with fan running @900rpm - and that is about 60% of the nominal fan speed. And if I swap the fan for the one rated @800rpm - can PWM be tricked to run it still at 60% speed, a lovely 480rpm?

Of course: that percentage is the duty cycle of the 5V signal, it describes the percentage of time a digital signal is "on" over an interval or period of time, so it doesn't take care of the current draw or speed of the specific fan.

VERiON wrote:I know every bios and manufacturer makes it different - but generally how this works?
1) PWM just sets the certain fan voltage according (it will be 7V in my case)
2) PWM is increasing the voltage until fan reaches certain rpm (it will be 900rpm in my case)
PWM works in time domain: it will set the duty cycle through a modulating (0-5V) superimposed square signal, as voltage to the fan is always 12V and it doesn't take care of the fan pace. That's also why on fake PWM headers (4 pin mobo headers but voltage controlled) you often see the PWM pin marked as 5V (always "on").
Perhaps you might think to it as it switched on and off the fan at high frequencies (kHz, usually) according to the a set percentage (duty cycle).

JFYI, this is the reference documentation.