Fan Positioning / Configuration - Fractal Arc Mini R2

Control: management of fans, temp/rpm monitoring via soft/hardware

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

StartPackage

Fan Positioning / Configuration - Fractal Arc Mini R2

Post by StartPackage » Thu Feb 25, 2016 8:38 am

Hi guys,

I hope to get some feedback and advice on my current setup. I'm not satisfied with it at the moment, and maybe you could help me.
Room temp is around 21-22, CPU idle at 35, GPU idle at 44..

Check out the picture.
- CPU Noctua fans on silent mode with reduced voltage, temp is fine and also the noise.
- case has 3 way (12v-9v-6v) switch with 3 fan connections
- case has dust filters on every side, dust is not a problem since I keep the case higher of the ground
- I have a fan splitter cable
- I also have 1 fan potentiometer that can connect onto the mobo

Now I have two front intakes, and upper/back on exhaust, and I usually keep the case voltage on 6v
I'm considering moving 120mm fan from HDDs to the bottom so it blows directly on the GPU, additionally, switching the upper right 140mm to intake air

What do you think is the best airflow setup? Best positions?
Should I remove some of the fans ?

Thx
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

CA_Steve

Re: Fan Positioning / Configuration - Fractal Arc Mini R2

Post by CA_Steve » Thu Feb 25, 2016 12:31 pm

Welcome to SPCR.

You forgot the crucial bit: WHAT aren't you satisfied with?
- idle noise?
- load noise?
- gpu temps?

What are the load temps for the CPU and gpu (and under what conditions)?

If it's an idle noise issue, try turning off the top fans and closing the vents.

nintendoeats

Post by nintendoeats » Wed Mar 16, 2016 10:36 am

I have found this comparison extremely useful: http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/2012/0 ... tigation/1

I now use a side intake, top and rear exhaust setup which works very nicely indeed. I tried a bottom intake and it didn't achieve much. 2 top fans seems like overkill to me and if anything it might play havoc with the noctua's airflow since the right-most CPU fan is having to fight the top-right case fan for air.

EDIT: This said, I don't have 3 big HDDs that need cooling, so bear that in mind.

quest_for_silence

Post by quest_for_silence » Wed Mar 16, 2016 11:49 pm

StartPackage wrote:What do you think is the best airflow setup? Best positions?
Should I remove some of the fans ?
Apparently you shouldn't need top fans at all, and that vent should be closed then: but in case, they should be used both as intake.
Bottom intake is usually uneffective for GPU temp/noise (usually don't mean always), it may affect more the PSU intake temp.
Eventually, about the fans, the Fractals weren't the finest, nor I like your way of control them (possibly noisier than necessary at idle, and at any rate it should lack the flexibility of being inaudible at low loads but efficient at higher ones).