Fan suggestions for Fractal R5

Control: management of fans, temp/rpm monitoring via soft/hardware

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

orangekiwii

Fan suggestions for Fractal R5

Post by orangekiwii » Fri Apr 22, 2016 1:19 pm

Hello!

I'm building a new pc soon in a fractal r5. I've been wondering what the best solution is. I've read that the stock fans are decent but maybe not the absolute best. I was thinking of getting three fans (2 front 1 rear) to replace them.

What do you think would be the best option? I've been mainly eyeballing the phanteks f140hp and the thermalright ty-147a but am looking for other suggestions.

I worry that these might be too high pressure for instance (or not enough since I cna't find hard statistics) and they won't reach deep enough into the case.

What would you guys suggest? I've ruled out the noctua p14 mainly due to cost and people often recommending f140hp/thermalright ty-147a over them.

Would some combination of fans be best instead of just three of the same?

quest_for_silence

Re: Fan suggestions for Fractal R5

Post by quest_for_silence » Fri Apr 22, 2016 1:27 pm

Start from your specs. :wink:

orangekiwii

Post by orangekiwii » Fri Apr 22, 2016 1:48 pm

The system will be 6700k aiming for decent overclock (4.6 minimum really) + 980 ti everything else is really irrelevant.

The goal is for it to maintain basically the same sound signature from idle to load. I understand you can have them at very low rpms during idle and then pick up when temps start to rise but I find that kind of annoying.

I realize the 980ti is a noisy motherf***er but its fan is unavoidable, I'd like to prevent others as my current system doesn't ramp up from idle to load besides the gpu. I'd like for the same especially for cpu intensive situations.

I'm kind of leaning towards just 3 ty-147as and calling it quits but I want the best cooling for my sound goals. The 980ti currently bakes in its current case (90 c - it's fine but it's still way hotter than I'm used to seeing in my builds) and essentially has no headroom as a result. For spending about 50 - 60$ on fans, I want the best not just good enough. Noctua is an option but I haven't been impressed with the fans that came on my d14 so was looking to try something else.

lodestar

Post by lodestar » Fri Apr 22, 2016 1:54 pm

orangekiwii wrote:...I'm kind of leaning towards just 3 ty-147as and calling it quits...
The Thermalright TY-147a will fit in most spots on the R5 including the exhaust positions but not as front inlets, at least not without cutting. That's because it is 140mm by 146mm instead of 140mm square. It also has 120mm fixings but this is not an issue on the R5. If you're going to be overclocking to 4.5Ghz+ then maybe something like the Noctua Redux NF-P14S 1500 rpm PWM might be worth considering, particularly if you're planning to get an Asus motherboard which will allow the use of the FanXpert fan control software.

CA_Steve

Post by CA_Steve » Fri Apr 22, 2016 2:51 pm

For comparison purposes, what's your current case and fans?

Cheapest path is stick with the two stock fans and add an Antec Truequiet 140 for two in front and 1 in back. See if you like the idle / load noise levels and temps. You can always swap out the stock if you don't like the results. It's better to treat it as an iterative project rather than to buy large and hope for the best.

orangekiwii

Post by orangekiwii » Fri Apr 22, 2016 4:20 pm

Current setup is using a nanoxia deep silence 2 with the stock fans

the fans are rattling a ton (which is fine if I replaced them) but I'm doing a new build and wanted a different case for the theme.

Also the usb ports are all dead for some reason and it's out of warranty. I don't really need a new case it's more of a want.

The stock fans in this are quiet (not on max obviously) but the airflow leaves something to be desired I'd say. The cpu seems to fair fine but the gpu cooks. I know it's the case because swapping the gpu to a different larger case (not one with amazing cooling either mind you) drops temps by about 15 c.

I like the iterative approach conceptually but I really just want to build it and be done with it.

The ty-147a I realized was too wide for mounting but would it still screw up if rotated 90 degrees? I'm assuming yes as then the issue is in the other direction but you never know as I don't actually have the case yet.

Having recently seen the f140hps are out of stock everywhere they were recently in stock and the ty-147as having a sizing problem I'm kind of back at the drawing board. I'll take a closer look and try to find testing results of potential noctuas. I didn't really want noctuas as they will really kill the clean look I wanted to go for though but if they're the best they're the best. Other ideas maybe?

quest_for_silence

Post by quest_for_silence » Fri Apr 22, 2016 8:13 pm

orangekiwii wrote:I like the iterative approach conceptually but I really just want to build it and be done with it.

Rome wasn't built in a day.

orangekiwii wrote:Other ideas maybe?

Set aside the quoted Phanteks and Thermalright, most of usual candidates have been already mentioned: Noctua Redux P14s/P14r, Noctua A15 (or A14, available also as black iPPC but untested), then Antec True Quiet 140, I'd add Be Quiet Silent Wings 3, NZXT FN V2 (and the faster FX V2 if you're going to drive it by voltage), but also Prolimatech Red Vortex 14/Blue Vortex 14/Ultra Sleek Vortex 14 and Fractal GP-14/HP-14/HF-14. SPCR tested also the Deepcool GF140 as enough good (though clicky), as well as the Scythe Glide Stream 140 (less consistent), both bested noise-wise by the Reeven (Scythe gaming brand) Cold Wing 14 (plagued by a glaring colour scheme). Eventually the Noctua iPPC 24V seems intriguing, but YMMV *A LOT*.
Last edited by quest_for_silence on Fri Apr 22, 2016 9:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Abula

Post by Abula » Fri Apr 22, 2016 9:23 pm

Couple of questions before recommending,

1) What motherboard will you be using, important to know to recommend the best fans for it.

2) How do you want to control the fans? Software, Bios or Fan controller?
The 980ti currently bakes in its current case (90 c - it's fine but it's still way hotter than I'm used to seeing in my builds) and essentially has no headroom as a result. For spending about 50 - 60$ on fans, I want the best not just good enough. Noctua is an option but I haven't been impressed with the fans that came on my d14 so was looking to try something else.
Case fans wont do much, it will lower some but you need better cooling on the card, What brand/model is your GTX980Ti?

One last comment, more because of you overclocking desires, most of us here value more quiet computing than performance (not all but most), that said, in my case i no longer overclock as it add the need of extra cooling (if you dont undervolt), but the end result of overclocking is better performance for in return you gotta deal with more heat, that in essence will require for better cooling, in most cases more rpms , thus more noise. Most of the fans that were suggested already, are good fans, even for people that really enjoy quiet computing, but most of us don't run them at full rpms, personally i don't find any fan quiet above 1000rpms, i prefer to be below 800rpms in most fans, and ideally having idles around 300rpms for inaudible setups, but as i said before, i don't overclock anymore. You and only you are the one that can make the decision into how much noise are you willing to put up for the overclock your aiming, a 6700K is already a very capable CPU stock, and most games wont benefit much of above 4ghz, but again its up to you.