A PWM to 3 pin converter from Phobya (Aquatuning)

Control: management of fans, temp/rpm monitoring via soft/hardware

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

quest_for_silence

A PWM to 3 pin converter from Phobya (Aquatuning)

Post by quest_for_silence » Thu Sep 22, 2016 11:11 pm

A rather rare device, indeed, which I'm probably going to buy soon:

http://www.aquatuning.us/water-cooling/ ... mer-single

lodestar

Re: A PWM to 3 pin converter from Phobya (Aquatuning)

Post by lodestar » Fri Sep 23, 2016 2:40 am

Back around 2009 there was Nanoxia's attempt at this, the ill-fated PWMX. I still have one somewhere. One of its faults was that any fan connected to it had the top speed reduced by around 200 rpm. I see that the Phobya uses a separate power supply direct from the PSU rather than just relying on voltage from the PWM header, hopefully it will not suffer from the same issue.

Abula

Post by Abula » Fri Sep 23, 2016 6:03 am

From what i remember, Phantek hubs included in their cases were PWM to DC, i think they sell them separate now.

CA_Steve

Post by CA_Steve » Fri Sep 23, 2016 6:15 am

Nice find.

edh

Post by edh » Sat Sep 24, 2016 11:37 am

I got a PWM-DC converter in 2008 from a company called PaQ that I think now is defunct. Before decent quiet PWM fans that did low RPM's were plentiful it was very useful. Also the ability to adjust voltage on that one that I did meant that you could adjust minimum speed.

quest_for_silence

Post by quest_for_silence » Fri Oct 21, 2016 12:13 pm

Well, eventually I bought it, tested it, and trashed it: a friend of mine bought two and did the same. :cry:

It's likely one of most useless, shitty piece of crap I've ever bought from IT industry: somehow it confirmed the feeling that buying an aquatuning/alphacool/phobya branded product is quite often a bad idea for me (I got my share of losing from them in fans and liquid cooling also).

Ok, probably I was too tragic, sorry: summarizing, it doesn't work, it cannot be useful in any meaningful way, so do not ever buy that PWM to 3 pin converter from Phobya! :twisted:

Abula wrote:From what i remember, Phantek hubs included in their cases were PWM to DC, i think they sell them separate now.
The friend who bought the other two Phobya converters previously bought it: it does DC to PWM, but seemingly it doesn't work also, it looks unstable (fans go mad out of the blue), personally I'll avoid it. :(