New build in the Mini-ITX chassis > Ncase M1

Control: management of fans, temp/rpm monitoring via soft/hardware

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Jury-Pool-Reject

New build in the Mini-ITX chassis > Ncase M1

Post by Jury-Pool-Reject » Mon Aug 22, 2016 5:16 am

I have most of my components, including the very small chassis, the Ncase M1. I am not bothered by moderate fan noise.
*Asus Z170I Pro Gaming
*i7-6700k
*Corsair H100i V1 AIO (will replace stock fans)
*nVidia 1080-FE
*Corsair LPX DDR4 16GB
*1 TB SSD, (no internal HDD)

I may at some point OC the CPU.

I'd like to replace the Corsair AIO fans for 2 Vardar's: The F4-120mm, 77cfm/33dBA max, static 3.16. I'll be exhausting the air out of the case with this AIO.

The other 2 fans will be the Noctua NF-F12's as 'intake' on the case bottom.

The rear case spot for a fan not feasible I believe, as only a 92x92x14 size would fit because of the AIO hoses crowding the area. (and that would not be strong enough to help, imo.)

Thoughts?

koxy

Re: New build in the Mini-ITX chassis > Ncase M1

Post by koxy » Mon Sep 12, 2016 1:06 am

Jury-Pool-Reject wrote:I have most of my components, including the very small chassis, the Ncase M1. I am not bothered by moderate fan noise.
*Asus Z170I Pro Gaming
*i7-6700k
*Corsair H100i V1 AIO (will replace stock fans)
*nVidia 1080-FE
*Corsair LPX DDR4 16GB
*1 TB SSD, (no internal HDD)

I may at some point OC the CPU.

I'd like to replace the Corsair AIO fans for 2 Vardar's: The F4-120mm, 77cfm/33dBA max, static 3.16. I'll be exhausting the air out of the case with this AIO.

The other 2 fans will be the Noctua NF-F12's as 'intake' on the case bottom.

The rear case spot for a fan not feasible I believe, as only a 92x92x14 size would fit because of the AIO hoses crowding the area. (and that would not be strong enough to help, imo.)

Thoughts?
Don't know much about Vardar's fans, i don't have it but i heard them and sound way too loud for me, Corsair H100i stock fans are horrible(very very loud) for sure, need to be replaced asap. You should consider Noctua fans, they have a good reputation and their noise to performance should be better than moderate.

edh

Post by edh » Mon Sep 12, 2016 5:03 am

I wouldn't suggest the NF-F12 in this instance. It's a focused flow design so doesn't make sense when used as an intake that's going to be pointing right at the underside of the video card. This also doesn't sound like a great way of cooling the graphics card either. I would swap the cooler for an Accelero Xtreme, strip the 92mm fans off it and use the 2x 120mm fans on the underside for cooling the Accelero Xtreme.

NF-S12A fans all round would make more sense. It may also help to make that the noise characteristics of each fan will be the same.

I can't say that you'll get a completely silent system with this kind of setup either. That kind of heat in a very small case will be very hard to get rid of and the AIO pump will give a higher baseline noise that a slow running fan will.

Delirious

Post by Delirious » Sat Sep 17, 2016 3:28 pm

As edh mentions you could try the accelero extreme or you could go with the twin turbo. One way to get rid of the heat is to flip the fans around so the fans of the gpu exhaust hot air under the chassis. A little unconventional, but seems to be working rather well in the ncase. For fans you could us either 92mm standard width fans or 120mm mounted to case floor.

Be aware that the both the Accelero Extreme IV and the Twin Turbo III comes with a rather hefty backplate which may interfere with ram slots, connectors or cpu cooler depending on size.

Unfortunately the intake fans at the bottom does not seems to be to effective in the ncase. There will be very little room between the graphics card and the case floor fans.