80mm fans for high static pressure at moderate volume?

Control: management of fans, temp/rpm monitoring via soft/hardware

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

GV000

80mm fans for high static pressure at moderate volume?

Post by GV000 » Thu Dec 15, 2016 6:04 am

I'm looking to quiet down a couple dual-conversion UPSes with excessively loud 80mm fans. They've got backups that should kick in if they get too hot (or when they kick over to battery), but all the same I need something that provides moderate airflow. The stock fan is an Aavid PSAD18025BH which absolutely screams along at 5100 RPM pushing about 70 CFM at 10.56 mmH20 and far, far too loud a volume. They're fairly deep fans, which gives some options, but they're also dealing with somewhat restricted intake flow. It's an exhaust fan, so it needs to perform well in that function.

I'm trying to find the best alternative possible in the ~25db range, 30 tops. Unfortunately stepping up to a larger fan really isn't going to work. It needs to have a 3 pin connector, and speed control isn't a thing -- it's not on an adjustable source and will run at the same speed constantly.

What I'm finding is that there seems to be a dearth of "mid-range" fans. It's either very silent and low flow or stupidly loud like the stock fan.

Anyone have suggestions?

quest_for_silence

Re: 80mm fans for high static pressure at moderate volume?

Post by quest_for_silence » Thu Dec 15, 2016 9:46 am

EBM PAPST 8412N/2G-185, (32dB /41 CFM) might be an option.
A weaker (31CFM) one is the Noctua R8.