Nexus 92mm PWM DF1209SL-3PWM LOUD

Control: management of fans, temp/rpm monitoring via soft/hardware

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

ryanr

Nexus 92mm PWM DF1209SL-3PWM LOUD

Post by ryanr » Tue Jul 25, 2017 8:11 pm

I just picked up a Nexus 92mm PWM DF1209SL-3PWM to replace the noisy fan in my PSU in an HP workstation (Z230). The base noise level is better, but this fan is making a very annoying sort of fast buffeting noise, almost a clicking sound. Is it defective? Has anyone seen this issue? Is it possible this could be cause by hooking up the fan wrong? I did have to build an adaptor to make this fan work with the weird non-standard fan connector on the PSU, pretty sure I didn't wire anything wrong, and if I did I figured it would simply not work at all.

I bought this fan because it came so highly recommended. Really frustrated it's actually made my machine louder (which, if you've used an HP workstation, you know is quite a feat).

Abula

Re: Nexus 92mm PWM DF1209SL-3PWM LOUD

Post by Abula » Mon Aug 14, 2017 6:48 pm

I dont have much experience with the 92mm but the 120mm are decent fans still, that said the PWM versions to what i remember where never as good as the 3pin.

It could also be the PWM design of the PSU, not all PWM is the same, in the past, GPUs PWM design was different than motherboards, until very recently they are the same, but in the past i struggle with certain fans with GPU upgrades, this could be the case with your PSU.

Are you sure the PSU uses PWM fan? its more common to see 2pin fans on PSUs. It could be the fan is running at full speed.

What specs was the original fan on the PSU?

One 92mm that i tested recently was Noctua NF-A9 FLX, but there is also a PWM version, its a decent fan with good range of control, but without knowing the specs of your original fan its hard to recommend anything.