looking for GUI for fan control (Linux)

Control: management of fans, temp/rpm monitoring via soft/hardware

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

ginahoy

looking for GUI for fan control (Linux)

Post by ginahoy » Mon Jul 31, 2017 10:55 pm

I'm in the process of building a new Linux machine. I've been using speedfan on my existing system for nearly a decade, but it's only for Windows OS.

My ASRock Z270 Extreme4 mobo has a lot better fan control support than my existing system, but I would prefer to be able to monitor temps and change settings without having to reboot into the UEFI. Is there a fan control utility for Linux with a GUI front end? I'm a complete Linux noob. I just want something I can load, set and run, assuming such a utility exists.

Tephras

Re: looking for GUI for fan control (Linux)

Post by Tephras » Tue Aug 01, 2017 10:17 pm

The only option AFAIK is lm-sensors. But that project is now overtaken by hwmon.
GUIs - there are some mentioned on the lm-sensors article on wikipedia.

Wild Penguin

Post by Wild Penguin » Tue Oct 31, 2017 8:38 am

Last time I checked software mentioned in the lm-sensors wikipedia page, they are all for monitoring only.

I believe few GUI options exist for controlling fan speed. There is a module for plasma (kde5) but it was quite basic and beta (but did work, although there might have been a few bugs). These might not be in the distribution of your choice, since this kind of functionality is (probably) a low priority for devs and might only exist on rolling-release distributions.

On arch linux there is something in AUR:

Code: Select all

aur/fancontrol-gui v0.5-1 (11, 0,39)
    GUI for fancontrol and the fancontrol systemd service
aur/fancontrol-kcm v0.5-1 (9, 0,21)
    KDE control module for the fancontrol script and systemd service
aur/fancontrol-gui-git v0.5.r6.gd2b113e-1 (8, 0,18)
    GUI for the fancontrol script and systemd service
aur/fancontrol-kcm-git v0.5.r6.gd2b113e-1 (1, 0,00)
    KCM for the fancontrol script and systemd service
fancontrol-kcm used to work previously (more or less), but I removed it since since some bugs / dependency issues during an upgrade. Haven't tried fancontrol-gui at all.

Abula

Post by Abula » Tue Oct 31, 2017 12:29 pm

ginahoy wrote:I'm in the process of building a new Linux machine. I've been using speedfan on my existing system for nearly a decade, but it's only for Windows OS.

My ASRock Z270 Extreme4 mobo has a lot better fan control support than my existing system, but I would prefer to be able to monitor temps and change settings without having to reboot into the UEFI. Is there a fan control utility for Linux with a GUI front end? I'm a complete Linux noob. I just want something I can load, set and run, assuming such a utility exists.
My recomendation is to set your bios fan control, that your mobo is pretty good at, and stress test it, reboot and enter bios until you find your personal best settings for what you going to do. This is what i do, i spend a couple of hours settting it up, and then never touch it again, unless im changing somehting like CPU cooler or fans, but i prefer a good early investment of time and forget it. I still monitor my temps to see if i need to make an adjustment over time, but i never needed to in 5+ builds that i have used pure bios.