Getting products you want reviewed at SPCR

Like something? Don't like something? Don't see something? Here's the place to provide feedback about the SilentPCReview.com site. User feedback is very important to us -- we really do read the posts in this forum.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee, Edward Ng

MikeC
Site Admin

Getting products you want reviewed at SPCR

Post by MikeC » Wed Jul 23, 2003 8:07 am

This is in response to emails & forum posts that ask for specific products to be reviewed.

Getting review samples of specific products is the first step of the review process. Sometimes this is not easy. SPCR cannot afford (nor wants) to buy products for review in most cases, so we rely on samples submitted to us.

You can help: :!:

1) If you have a spare sample (for whatever reason), send it us. We'll consider it a donation.

2) Take the time to contact potential sample suppliers and ask them to get in touch with SPCR about a review. Tell them how much you value SPCR's assessment of PC products, and that you and other visitors make purchases on the basis of SPCR reviews.

As SPCR and its reach has grown, so has the willingness (sometimes, eagerness) of manufacturers, distributors and stores to provide review samples. Here are some basic facts to excite the marketer:
  • Traffic (in July 2004): 50~60,000 pageviews daily; 160,000 unique IPs monthly
  • Highly targeted international audience for quiet PC products, the only one of its kind on the web
This kind of enthusiastic and sincere member effort can help expedite the acquisition of review samples. It has resulted in several of the reviews that have already appeared on SPCR. 8)

PS -- Don't worry about fine details: Just give them my name & email address. They will always want to get in touch with me before proceeding.
Last edited by MikeC on Sun Jul 11, 2004 11:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.

lenny
Patron of SPCR

Post by lenny » Wed Jul 23, 2003 10:06 am

Mike, since the majority of your readers do not live in Canada, what is the correct procedure to send you review samples so that you don't get hit with excessive custom duties?

Zhentar
Patron of SPCR

Post by Zhentar » Wed Jul 23, 2003 10:24 am

two questions:

Could we send two boxes, one smaller and inside the other, adressed w/ shipping so you could send the unit back wehn you are done?
If thats possible I'd be willing to send off something to you to review (assuming I stopped being cheap long enough to buy something you'd want to reveiw :) )

Also, I'm waiting for a review of the 120mm fortron PSU. I remember reading you had one to review, though maybe I'm hallucinating again, and I would really like a review so I can see how these other models would compare.

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Wed Jul 23, 2003 10:49 am

lenny wrote:Mike, since the majority of your readers do not live in Canada, what is the correct procedure to send you review samples so that you don't get hit with excessive custom duties?
The sample supplier will always want to communicate with me directly first, so no worries there. As long as they have my email address -- mikec@...

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Wed Jul 23, 2003 10:52 am

Zhentar wrote:two questions:

Could we send two boxes, one smaller and inside the other, adressed w/ shipping so you could send the unit back wehn you are done?

Also, I'm waiting for a review of the 120mm fortron PSU.
1) no need for the 2nd box. Just a return address & note about return will do. again I am sure people will email directly first.
2) 120mm fortron -- one of several PSUs awaiting reviews...

ez2remember
Friend of SPCR

Post by ez2remember » Wed Jul 23, 2003 3:52 pm

How about a more comprehensive roundup up of fans?

It's fairly cheap to send fans (light in weight) to Canada, and I am pretty sure many of us have spare ones lying around doing nothing. This way the recommended list can become much bigger?

MikeK
Patron of SPCR

Post by MikeK » Mon Sep 08, 2003 11:44 pm

yes get some 120mm fans on the recommended list (for my Antec 3700 :) )

bondiablo

Post by bondiablo » Thu Dec 04, 2003 1:14 pm

Well I just submitted a suggestion to Kingwin that they provide you a sample of the KT-424 for review so we'll see how that works. :P I just switched to this case and with just a few snips to cut off the 3 fan grills the airflow is excellent plus with the fan controller and the "anti shock absorber" hard drive mounts I think this case has some real potential.

That "anti shock absorber system" bugs me every time I read it, sounds like they're against shock absorption. ;)

mpteach

Post by mpteach » Sun Jul 11, 2004 10:24 pm

I asked jab tech if they would consider sending review samples, and to contact MikEC etc etc.

they replied by saying
If they want to review the units they can approach us.
I think alot of vendors feel more comfortable and are more willing to spend thier time being aproached by a professional or site admin or reviewer; and not just a random forum member with some facts and an email adress...

Unfortunatly that negates all the timesaving on MikeC's and the other reviewers part. I hope this sort of response is not typical.

Edward Ng
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Edward Ng » Sun Jul 11, 2004 10:32 pm

I do not know who you spoke to at Jab-Tech, but I have a personal contact over there, John, who I approach for samples. Jab-Tech's response to you may be as a result of this connection between John and myself.

However...I would hope other vendors, who do not already have relationships with SPCR staff, don't respond that way. It's fine, though, for Jab-Tech to do so. :wink:

Btw, Jab-Tech has graciously provided several Panaflo samples to me already, and I personally do not yet feel that I have done enough in return for them yet for giving me the fans. Next time I utilize any of their samples in an upcoming review, they will get a mention for sure!

-Ed

PS As always, I recommend that anyone who found out from me here in the forums that Jab-Tech offers pre-sorted Japan-made Panaflos please let them know, if you should purchase with them, that Ed from SPCR sent you! :wink: :wink:

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Sun Jul 11, 2004 10:41 pm

Aside from the special case of Jabtech...

If everyone who had a hankering to see 2 products reviewed on SPCR actually wrote brief succint emails to 2 potential sample suppliers of each product, that would probably make at least, say, 50 emails a month. So if 10% of them respond in some fashion, with 5% dropping out, we might have a handful of samples every month that we could not have otherwise.

Would keep all the reviewers busy.

It's just a numbers game right? S'what the spammers know.

Edward Ng
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Edward Ng » Sun Jul 11, 2004 10:43 pm

Us? Spam? Neeeeeeveeeeer.....

:) :D :P :twisted: :wink: 8)

mpteach

Post by mpteach » Sun Jul 11, 2004 10:56 pm

Yes Edward Ng, it was John.
Thanks for the Japanaflo's

Is there any other vendor Connections i should be wary of? Seem like a mafia to me. Do you owe John a Favor for the panaflo's?

EDIT Did he make you and offer you cant refuse?

Edward Ng
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Edward Ng » Mon Jul 12, 2004 5:32 am

Not particularly; I just believe the policy that in order to maintain postive working ties, a business relationship should remain a two lane road.

Tyrdium

Post by Tyrdium » Sat Nov 27, 2004 4:32 pm

Should we simply contact the suppliers, or ask one of you first? There are certainly a number of things I'd like to see reviewed by SPCR testers. :D

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Sat Nov 27, 2004 4:37 pm

Tyrdium wrote:Should we simply contact the suppliers, or ask one of you first? There are certainly a number of things I'd like to see reviewed by SPCR testers. :D
You could just cc me on any emails to potential sample suppliers. That's good enough.
Last edited by MikeC on Sat Nov 27, 2004 5:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tyrdium

Post by Tyrdium » Sat Nov 27, 2004 4:40 pm

'kay. I'll probably send some emails out tomorrow, then.

Shining Arcanine
Friend of SPCR

Post by Shining Arcanine » Tue Jan 11, 2005 1:12 am

Mike, would you contact Silenx for a review sample of their Luxurae Hard Drive Silencing Solution? I sent them an email and they replied:
We don't actively solicit review sites to look at our products--we
figure it's better (not to mention more ethical) if they approach us. If
you want silentpcreview.com to look at it, you'd probably be best served
by asking them. We'd be more than happy to send a sample unit to them if
requested. If you have any questions or concerns, let me know!

NeilBlanchard

Post by NeilBlanchard » Tue Jan 11, 2005 1:22 am

Hello:
Shining Arcanine wrote:Mike, would you contact Silenx for a review sample of their Luxurae Hard Drive Silencing Solution? I sent them an email and they replied:
We don't actively solicit review sites to look at our products--we
figure it's better (not to mention more ethical) if they approach us. If
you want silentpcreview.com to look at it, you'd probably be best served
by asking them. We'd be more than happy to send a sample unit to them if
requested. If you have any questions or concerns, let me know!
You might want to do a Search here on the site for Silenx -- *their* ethics have been very much in question in the time I have been here. They used to post *glowing* "user" reviews while hiding their actual identity, and were found out, and banned from this site.

stighenning

Post by stighenning » Sun Jan 23, 2005 9:53 am

Haven't silentpcreview.com got that much reputation - that developers would like to have it testet ?
I mean - alot of people buy because of your opinions. (I do :D )
..but then again the tested-device might come out bad too..

Edward Ng
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Edward Ng » Sun Jan 23, 2005 11:50 am

stighenning wrote:Haven't silentpcreview.com got that much reputation - that developers would like to have it testet ?
I mean - alot of people buy because of your opinions. (I do :D )
..but then again the tested-device might come out bad too..
Our reviews are rarely glowing, rave reviews, and if we don't post any reviews of products that are truly bad, it's because we either didn't bother testing, or found the product to be so bad that we chose simply to not post the review all together.

-Ed

sensei

Post by sensei » Sun May 08, 2005 4:28 am

I just sent a mail to asetek, asking them to send you a review sample of their new Vapochill Micro CPU cooler.

Ralf Hutter
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Ralf Hutter » Sun May 08, 2005 7:35 am

sensei wrote:I just sent a mail to asetek, asking them to send you a review sample of their new Vapochill Micro CPU cooler.

http://www.asetek.com/default.asp?showP ... &menuID=-1
Wow, cool! That link (and even the root link) gives me the neatest "error" page link I've ever seen!

nici

Post by nici » Sun May 08, 2005 8:09 am

Ralf Hutter wrote:
sensei wrote:I just sent a mail to asetek, asking them to send you a review sample of their new Vapochill Micro CPU cooler.

Wow, cool! That link (and even the root link) gives me the neatest "error" page link I've ever seen!
Works for me...

Edward Ng
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Edward Ng » Sun May 08, 2005 8:30 am

nici wrote:
Ralf Hutter wrote:

Works for me...
And I as well.

Ralf Hutter
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Ralf Hutter » Mon May 09, 2005 6:31 am

Aren't you guys the lucky ones.

Here's what it looks like for me, on IE or FF:

sthayashi
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by sthayashi » Mon May 09, 2005 6:57 am

You may have to allow scripting on that site or something like it. Either that or lighten up on your firewall settings.

Check out a piece of the page source:

Code: Select all

<html>
<head>
	<title>User</title>
	<style type="text/css">
</style><style type="text/css">
</style><script language="javascript">
</script>
</head>
<body onload="" style="background-color:#004677; background-image:url('admincss/filarkiv/asetekStandard/fillBackground.gif'); background-attachment:fixed; background-repeat:repeat; background-position:top left; ">
</body>
</html>
I have to confess, this is amongst the strangest use of the style parameter I've ever seen.

tehcrazybob
Friend of SPCR

Post by tehcrazybob » Fri Apr 25, 2008 3:26 pm

Could we get some updated site statistics in order to be more up-to-date and convincing in our requests?

Actually, would it be possible for you to create something like a form letter for forum users to send to companies? We'd have to edit a few details to be relevant to the specific company and product, but it would ensure a standard level of detail and professionalism in the site's contacts with manufacturers.