Resolved - I'm going to stop recommending Newegg

Share your experiences about noisy computers and components, and vendors responses to your valid complaints.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee, Devonavar

ryboto
Friend of SPCR

Resolved - I'm going to stop recommending Newegg

Post by ryboto » Thu Nov 02, 2006 8:52 am

The only reason I've been shopping at newegg for the last year, is the financing. I can make a big purchase, and pay it off 6 months. My distrust stems from their faulty address verification, and unreliable, inconsistent UPS delivery service.

Last month I made 2 orders, both of which were sent to the wrong town. Why? Because newegg sent the orders with incorrect zip codes. I had made one order this summer from my new address with UPS 3 day select service, and the order arrived when it should have, the third business day(but, technically, it was only the second business day, we'll get to that later). So, the fact that I actually recieved an order confirms they had my correct address on file. I made another order in september, processed and got to step 5 within 2 hours, go newegg! The order shipped, I followed the tracking information. It gets to Chelmsford MA, a distribution/delivery center. From there it would go north to Dover NH, and then be delivered. Instead, it went 2 hours north to White River Junction, Vermont.

This confused me, so I called UPS, they told me the zipcode on the package was 03084, which doesn't make any sense, so I check my newegg account info, and read my zipcode to the UPS service person, 03824, newegg has it correct, but somehow it was changed. I don't know who to blame, but regardless, I'm concerned.

The next order I made had the same thing happen to it, only the zipcode read 03284, it too went to white river junction. I called newegg this time, and since I had already gotten free shipping with the item, newegg gave me a $25 credit, because they noticed that the zipcode in my account now said 03284. What this means is that under my newegg account info, I had a non-existant address, and that address verification didn't catch it. Pretty big security flaw. Now the newegg representative tells me she's going to contact UPS, little did I know that meant she'd send them an email with the correct address. Well, if I know anything about big corporations and emails, it's that the emails usually fall into a black hole of nothing and are never actually read.

So, the next day I see that UPS attempted a delivery, and it failed, because the address didn't exist. I call them ask if the shipper contacted them with a correct address, they say no, so I give them the proper zipcode, they say it should get to me the next day. Next day comes, i see that it's still in white river, I wait till the end of the day, at which time i see that UPS attempted to deliver to the same, non-existant address, again. I call them, they don't know why the information I gave them wasn't updated...yadda yadda, in the end, 3-day select took 7 business days. I call newegg, ask them how my order would ship, or be billed with the wrong shipping/billing address. They now tell me " we confirm your address with your credit card company". I ask "are you blaming them?", and the woman tells me "no sir, I'm not blaming anyone", but she basically implied that my credit card company confirmed an invalid address, which I find hard to believe.

So, that's 2 against newegg, technically 1, but since it wasn't caught the first time, it becomes 2 issues. Now we get to UPS 3 day select. I just wanna see it in writing, somewhere, that when something ships, the first day of shipping isn't counted as one of the 3 days. I ordered something tuesday,rushed processing, it processed overnight, ups put it on a truck at 9am the next morning, but it didn't start moving until 7pm. Why? If you remember the orders I made this summer, that came quite quick, well, I used UPS 3 day select, and it shipped from the same place, CA, and it took only 3 days to get here, 3 days including the day it shipped. Where is the consistency?? I made the order assuming I'd get it in time for the weekend, now, it wont come until monday, while other orders get here quicker?? I just wanna see it in writing, on newegg's site preferrably, that they don't count the day of shipping as a business day, but, I can't find it, and i'll retract my complaint if someone else does.

It's a long post, you probably wont read it, what matters is that I've gotten this off my chest, even though I'm going to be angry this weekend when I have to dismantel my computer and ship some parts to buyers, and have to wait until monday before I have a working computer.
Last edited by ryboto on Mon Nov 06, 2006 11:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

jaganath

Post by jaganath » Thu Nov 02, 2006 9:11 am

It's the same old corporate runaround, everyone blames someone else, no-one takes responsibility for the mistake, I can assure you buck-passing is not confined to the US. What you really need is to get someone either at UPS or Newegg to take ownership of the situation, so that if it goes wrong again, you know exactly who to call and shout at.

Felger Carbon

Post by Felger Carbon » Thu Nov 02, 2006 11:07 am

Newegg allows customers to have up to 3 addresses. Somehow your current address (#1) is farbled. Input a second address (#2). When you see it listed correctly, delete the old address. Now you're working with brand-new address data to go with your old login. That should fix the problem.

ryboto
Friend of SPCR

Post by ryboto » Thu Nov 02, 2006 12:47 pm

Felger Carbon wrote:Newegg allows customers to have up to 3 addresses. Somehow your current address (#1) is farbled. Input a second address (#2). When you see it listed correctly, delete the old address. Now you're working with brand-new address data to go with your old login. That should fix the problem.
no, it wouldn't fix the problem. The problem is with their system, their address verification. My street address does not exist in the zipcode I mentioned, yet my address was verified? that's the problem.

Rusty075
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Rusty075 » Thu Nov 02, 2006 1:23 pm

I feel your pain, really, but you're barking up the wrong trees.

Go to UPS's site and read about the shipping terms. "3-business day" is average not guaranteed. If it took them a week to get it to you it'd still be in accordance with their terms. If you want to be guaranteed that you get it faster...pay for something more than the cheqapest shipping option, until then, stop whining about it. It's not Newegg's fault that UPS takes an extra to get it to you sometimes.

Yes, the address thing is annoying. A more useful approach may be to inquire about who's database they use to verify addresses. If it's the USPS, or UPS, then your beef is with them. If they're using just your credit card billing info to verify, then I would definitely call the CC company and double check that they don't have your zip messed up in their system somewhere.

ryboto
Friend of SPCR

Post by ryboto » Thu Nov 02, 2006 4:06 pm

Rusty075 wrote:I feel your pain, really, but you're barking up the wrong trees.

Go to UPS's site and read about the shipping terms. "3-business day" is average not guaranteed. If it took them a week to get it to you it'd still be in accordance with their terms. If you want to be guaranteed that you get it faster...pay for something more than the cheqapest shipping option, until then, stop whining about it. It's not Newegg's fault that UPS takes an extra to get it to you sometimes.

Yes, the address thing is annoying. A more useful approach may be to inquire about who's database they use to verify addresses. If it's the USPS, or UPS, then your beef is with them. If they're using just your credit card billing info to verify, then I would definitely call the CC company and double check that they don't have your zip messed up in their system somewhere.
I think you misunderstand...I should have to go to UPS's site and read their shipping terms, it should be made available on newegg's website. If not a list of shipping terms, at least a link to where they are on the UPS site. I can whine all I want, don't tell me what I can and can't dislike. I dislike that they advertise a shipping time that isn't necessarily going be the actual shipping time. It is newegg's fault if newegg gives UPS the wrong zip code, and it is newegg's fault if rush processing doesn't have any advantage over normal processing, cause in my case, they've always shipped same day of order.

I did inquire as to who newegg confirms the address with, apparently it's the credit card company, like i mentioned in the original post. I called my credit card company and confirmed my zipcode. THey had it right. The newegg representative i spoke with today told me the system is automated, but previously when this fiasco was happening, a representative told me it wasn't automated. So, I don't know who to believe. If it's computerized, then I don't know who's at fault, the newegg system or the credit card company. So, thanks for reading my entire post all the way through.

Ralf Hutter
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Ralf Hutter » Fri Nov 03, 2006 8:32 am

I would suggest posting your about your poor Newegg experience at http://www.resellerratings.com/. Apparently Newegg reads these comments regularly and will work with you to remove the negative comment.

ryboto
Friend of SPCR

Post by ryboto » Fri Nov 03, 2006 9:39 am

i posted a little rant on there, I just miss the good ol days of zipzoomfly and free 2nd day air, granted, all their shipping is free, and their prices are still somewhat better, it's product availability that seems to get them, as well, they don't have as large a selection.

Mari0-Br0s

Post by Mari0-Br0s » Fri Nov 03, 2006 12:42 pm

UPS is the whoriest carrier ever!!! I never shopped at Newegg because they ship by UPS. Any store that are not flexible on shipping carrier should never be recommended.

I prefer by far FedEx or USPS/Canada Post.
Last edited by Mari0-Br0s on Fri Nov 03, 2006 9:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

roystarman

In defense of Newegg

Post by roystarman » Fri Nov 03, 2006 12:56 pm

Newegg has never made a mistake with any order I have made :D

This is over a period of 3 years and 3 different addresses. As for 3-day delivery, UPS controls that, not Newegg. UPS makes the same gurantee to you if you were shipping a product. They don't gurantee it just that they will try and the average is 3-day. Once the pickup is made it is essentially out of Newegg's hand.

I would believe that the system is automated since it everything happens very quickly. Often the package will be shipped the same day you purchase it. It also comes from different sites across the country. I have recieved shipments from Edison NJ, California and I think Memphis Tn. Are you your shippping address is correct? Not your billing address. I don't know about verification as there are always new roads and developments going in. I do not know how anyone could verify a street in a zipcode and be current except for potentially the Telephone company since they are responsible for turning on the 911 service to new homes.

ryboto
Friend of SPCR

Re: In defense of Newegg

Post by ryboto » Fri Nov 03, 2006 1:09 pm

roystarman wrote:Newegg has never made a mistake with any order I have made :D

This is over a period of 3 years and 3 different addresses. As for 3-day delivery, UPS controls that, not Newegg. UPS makes the same gurantee to you if you were shipping a product. They don't gurantee it just that they will try and the average is 3-day. Once the pickup is made it is essentially out of Newegg's hand.

I would believe that the system is automated since it everything happens very quickly. Often the package will be shipped the same day you purchase it. It also comes from different sites across the country. I have recieved shipments from Edison NJ, California and I think Memphis Tn. Are you your shippping address is correct? Not your billing address. I don't know about verification as there are always new roads and developments going in. I do not know how anyone could verify a street in a zipcode and be current except for potentially the Telephone company since they are responsible for turning on the 911 service to new homes.
My situation is special...since they approved an order to a non-existant address, they caused the delay in the first two orders. My shipping address and billing address are the same. I've been told by two different reps that the address is verified through the credit card company, but both reps said it was done by different means, one said they call the company, the other said it was automated. So, it's not like they're searching on google maps for the address, though, if they did, and they used the incorrect zipcode, it wouldn't work, as I just tried it. So, you may have not had an issue yet, but, just wait until you do, and you have to talk to one of their reps, who, just like reps for any other company repeat the same crap over and over. I have been using newegg for almost 3 years, and aside from a lost shipment, this is the first time I've had an issue.

ryboto
Friend of SPCR

Post by ryboto » Mon Nov 06, 2006 11:16 am

well, since I posted a review at resellerratings, I've since gotten two personal emails from their customer service guy. Once he understood my situation, he offered me a $75 credit towards my next purchase...free stuff! So, I guess I'm going to have to change my tone about newegg back to what it used to be. either they really don't want people to see a bad review on that website, or they actually care about customers, or it's both, because satisfying both would bring them more business...either way, they've more than made up for the issue.

idiotekniQues

Post by idiotekniQues » Mon Jan 08, 2007 8:30 pm

fed-ex tracking stinks compared to ups tracking. it takes forever to update

and fed-ex holds packages. like i get the cheap shipping 5-7 days sometimes with fed-ex, and since they know they have seven days, they hold the package up even though it is sitting in my state after 3 days. i see it when the tracking finally updates.

with ups even if i have the cheapest shipping, if the package gets to jersey, they send it out the next day to be delivered.

Shhh,Peaceful

Post by Shhh,Peaceful » Wed Jan 24, 2007 10:35 am

I just build a new pc and ordered everything but the case/psu from new egg. I ordered on Friday morning and had the package at my door on 11am Monday. The motherboard shipped from CA so it took until Wed to show up.

The case/psu I ordered from Antec direct (also in CA) it took them 10 days to get it to me. They shipped it 'signature required' so I had to take a day off from work to wait for it. I got an automated call from UPS that it would be delivered the next day and I had to sign for it. They told me it would be there between 8am and 7pm. It ended up showing up at 5:30pm.

Also Antec sent me the wrong tracking number and my invoice has the wrong ship date on it. The woman I talked to about the wrong tracking number said that they have to 'cut and past' the tracking numbers into their system and she had no idea where the tracking number I got came from

Not to much faith on my part as far as Antec is concerned.

I like Newegg.

Trip
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Trip » Sat Feb 10, 2007 10:37 am

I've had no problems with Newegg's service.

However, a while back my credit card company entered my street number in as 57 instead of 1357 and then proceeded to pass the "address change" around to all their corporate buddies.

I send letters or make phone calls to correct the 57 whenever I see it, but it seems the 57 address is sent out again and again to correct my correction.

As far as I know, there is no 57 address since I receive both addresses at my correct 1357 address, but it's annoying because since the address doesn't exist I'm concerned some mail isn't actually delivered to me (either being destroyed along with the Santa letters or going to some other random house.)

Elixer

Post by Elixer » Sat Feb 10, 2007 2:12 pm

I'm not sure you can even pin this on Newegg. I used to work for UPS and also for a company that was very similar to the UPS store (I'm American though I'm now living in Germany). I know and understand UPS's shipping system very well. One area where the failure could have happened is in the address verication process. UPS sorts all of their packages based on zip codes until the very last facility. Because of this UPS uses software when you enter in an address that automatically checks the zip code. It is possible however to overwrite it and enter in manually. My guess is somewhere between UPS and newegg an error happened and maybe their software messed up. It was quite normal for me when I was working as a loader for me to see a couple packages with false zipcodes a night. The fact that you have gotten all of your stuff within less than 2 weeks from ordering it and even got credit speaks wonders about newegg. Errors happen! They're unavoidable, but when a company puts in the effort to make it up to you like newegg has, it's quite impressive.

ryboto
Friend of SPCR

Post by ryboto » Sat Feb 10, 2007 3:42 pm

I was impressed by neweggs response to my review of them. Still, their address verification was the issue, if they hadn't authorized an order with an incorrect address, none of this would have happened. But, the emails I got from their customer service explained the issue to me, and helped me to understand it. They mentioned they may be increasing the accuracy of the address verification.

ronrem

Post by ronrem » Fri Mar 16, 2007 5:05 am

ryboto wrote:I was impressed by neweggs response to my review of them. Still, their address verification was the issue, if they hadn't authorized an order with an incorrect address, none of this would have happened. But, the emails I got from their customer service explained the issue to me, and helped me to understand it. They mentioned they may be increasing the accuracy of the address verification.
New egg does the address verification so I can't steal your credit card # and have a bunch of goodies sent to my address. The credit card folks may vary in how well they do this-but I liked New eggs shipping. Our LOCAL UPS is great,we have a very steep driveway in the mountains,can't get the newspaper delivered-but the regular driver comes up with a full size UPS truck,puts the item on the porch. Some carriers just leave stuff in the woods at the bottom of the hill--which obviously is not cool

jaldridge6

Post by jaldridge6 » Tue May 29, 2007 2:23 am

With address verification UPS sometimes requires specific things like ave. being spelled avenue and so forth. Apartment numbers must be input just as a number without a proceeding number sign, etc. So, its possible newegg is just more lenient with addresses because the credit card companies they go through are more lenient. I've noticed many times when using UPS.com that I'll have to modify the address to meet strict UPS standards.