please help me build a quiet, non-gaming, budget pc

New to PC silencing? Read & post your questions here. Dedicated to rosy_toes.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

tacosauce

please help me build a quiet, non-gaming, budget pc

Post by tacosauce » Thu Nov 30, 2006 11:28 pm

I don't know a lot about building computers but I am determined to read carefully and build one myself. I am aiming for one as cheap as possible while still being quiet enough to not annoy me. From what I've gathered, it seems like the NSK3300 will somehow guarantee this for me, but any price reductions on cases while meeting the quiet standards will be welcome.

The motherboard and cpu I am less sure about. For mobo, should I get the MSI K8NGM2...I know it has great reviews. It sells for around $75, though, and the ECS K8M800-M2 sells for only $40. For the processor, would a Sempro be adequate, and would it require me to purchase a separate heatsink?

(This is my first time to build a computer)

Please help me create a cheap, quiet computer that is capable to speedily run windows, burn cds, watch movies, etc.

kater

Post by kater » Fri Dec 01, 2006 12:58 am

hi

since i've absolutely no experience with intel cpus i'll stick to amd am2

CPU - X2 would be nice if you can afford it as there soon will be plenty of games taking advantage of it, and also windoze apps will run better, esp video and picture editing, htpc soft too; a strong single core OCable cpu would also do.

CPU cooling - Ninja is the standard advice, but if you're on a tight budget there are some cheaper and still good coolers - say, AC Freezer - it sure has the guts to cool an amd altho some ppl claim it is not so very quiet; also, any Thermalright + good 92/120 fan will be nice (but pricey)

mobo - just make sure it has heatpipes so you don't have to buy aftermarket coolers like HR-05, or consider a cheaper mobo + HR-05.

RAM - any decent RAM, no need to splurge on it, 2 GB if possible - it helps, really, but 1 GB is still fine (i recently upgraded to 2 GB and can see the difference, but you may choose to spend your $$$ elsewhere)

VGA - if you've got the guts to wait until over Xmas, do so. VGAs (and other stuff) should be considerably cheaper then, especially that chips like 8800 will get more & more popular. if you can't (yeah, i know, i wouldn't be able too!) you could go for sth like 7900whatever. 7900GS - if you want budget and don't mind OC, 7950GT seems to have a nice balance of power/price for now, 7900GTX would be really cool as it already has a v nice cooling system - inaudible yet powerful, best factory active heatsink so far. oh, yeah - consider getting an aftermaret cooler for cards with standard heatsinks - noisy little bastards, them 60mm fans. you can go for sth passive like 7900GT or 7950GT but then you'll need to speed up your case fans - so you'll end up with lots of rpm anyway. can't say anything about ATI as i've no experience with them whatsoever.

sound - i've v little to say on that but ppl claim that them X-Fi cards will actually bost your performance, not to mention really good sound; i still have my old, trusty Live! and until i get some better speakers i won't mess with it.

case - Antec seems to popular among SPCR dudes, and for good reason. just remember that biggest and baddest VGAs will not fit in some smaller cases!

PSU - Seasonic, the new Corsair, Antec NeoHE. recommended section for you. and don't you buy anything like 1kW! i think others will give you more info on how much you really need once they know your setup.

for any fans - i suggest you check the recommended section and try to get the best fan you can find in your place ;)

HDD - go to recommended section, or get any HDD and put it in Scythe Quiet Drive

i'm sure others will give you lots of info on Intel platform - and i think for now it'll be an even better choice

jaganath

Post by jaganath » Fri Dec 01, 2006 3:16 am

CPU - X2 would be nice if you can afford it as there soon will be plenty of games taking advantage of it
Hello, the thread title says "non-gaming, budget PC".
From what I've gathered, it seems like the NSK3300 will somehow guarantee this for me
One drawback of the NSK3300 is the SFX power supply, I prefer mATX cases that accept standard ATX PSU's.
For mobo, should I get the MSI K8NGM2...I know it has great reviews. It sells for around $75, though, and the ECS K8M800-M2 sells for only $40.
If you're on a budget, just get the cheapest one, most budget mATX boards are pretty similar tbh.
For the processor, would a Sempron be adequate, and would it require me to purchase a separate heatsink?
Yes and no, respectively.

I realise that socket 754/939 seems the obvious choice on a budget, but the problem is is that they are discontinued sockets; in my experience socket 939 X2 CPU's haven't dropped in price very much on Ebay and elsewhere. The prices for AM2 mobos and CPU's are really pretty reasonable, considering it's a brand new socket. So the upgradeability is better if you choose AM2. If you do go the AM2 route, choose a Sempron 3200+ and above, the lower ones don't have CoolnQuiet.

kater

Post by kater » Fri Dec 01, 2006 3:57 am

:oops:

somehow the "non" escaped me (too much pretty girls around in the office, don't know what to do with my eyes!)

seems my post is a wee inadequate, oh boy, sorry for that

or you can just skip the CPU & GPU parts and it won't be so bad, right?

right?! (please, pretty please!)

:wink:

jaganath

Post by jaganath » Fri Dec 01, 2006 4:05 am

somehow the "non" escaped me (too much pretty girls around in the office, don't know what to do with my eyes!)
I think you made a mistake, it's not possible to have too many pretty girls around, just ask Hugh Hefner :D :lol:

tacosauce

Post by tacosauce » Fri Dec 01, 2006 10:26 am

ok, so here is a list of what i will need:

case
-----------------------
Antec NSK3300 (assuming I can determine if the stock PSU will be quiet enough for me) - $80ish

mobo
-----------------------
MSI K8NGM2-FID (socket 939) - $80ish

cpu
-----------------------
AMD Athlon 64 3200+ Venice 2.0GHz Socket 939 Processor Model - $60ish

THe mobo supports DDR ram, instead of DDR2, which is good because I was wanting to use the ram from my current computer. I will also use the hard and optical drives from it.

So what is left for me to purchase?

jaganath

Post by jaganath » Fri Dec 01, 2006 10:32 am

So what is left for me to purchase?
Nothing, you're good to go.

tacosauce

Post by tacosauce » Fri Dec 01, 2006 11:12 am

so i wont need a heatsink or fans? i just want to clarify that this is accurate.

nutball
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by nutball » Fri Dec 01, 2006 11:30 am

You'll probably need a heatsink if you want proper quiet. There will be a heatsink comes with the processor, but they're generally not particularly quiet. For S939 the Zalman 7000 is a good option, or the Ninja if you fancy trying to go passive.

The NSK3300 comes with a case fan which is ... OK. Probably best to give it a try first and replace it if it's too noisy for you.

MC FLMJIG

Post by MC FLMJIG » Fri Dec 01, 2006 12:21 pm

Go for an EPOX 6100 BEST Matx on 939. I would then say Biostar Tforce. Those 2 are similarly priced to others and you have options to OC in the future. CPU? Your choice. You can alway buy a 3000 or a 3200 and OC them at 1.35volts...

You can control fan on BIOS and just leave lower.

tacosauce

Post by tacosauce » Fri Dec 01, 2006 12:45 pm

alright, i'm gonna do some research on the EPOX 6100, but, first, i would like to clarify what the onboard sound will be like? the same as the msi k8ngm2 board?

also, you would pretty much say that the zalman is essential for making this build quiet?

do they make a sempron for S939, and, if so, would you recommend it over the AMD Athlon 64 3200+ Venice ? if the venice requires a zalman, and the sempron does not, then the prices should be comparable, i believe.

thanks.

MC FLMJIG

Post by MC FLMJIG » Fri Dec 01, 2006 12:52 pm

No sempron on 939 and the venice run cool. You can always undervolt it a bit if you leave it at stock.

I really think you can leave the stock cooling on. If you don't OC just use Cool and Quiet and you'll never hear it.

Most onboard sound is NOT good. It wan't too bad though.

The Biostar did have an Optical out if that interests you (TFORCE) I don't know if it's all the revisions though. Also some had NIC problems... I believe the newer models are okay though.

tacosauce

Post by tacosauce » Fri Dec 01, 2006 1:24 pm

are you sure the EPOX 6100 and the Biostar Tforce will support cool'n'quiet? just want to be sure bout this cause i like that you say i wont need to buy a zalman if i enable it[/list]

MC FLMJIG

Post by MC FLMJIG » Fri Dec 01, 2006 1:30 pm

Let me see if I have some Bios screens...

CnQ is AMD so I don't see why not. However i'm not 100% sure if they do. I am pretty sure that you can control the fans though... but again I had them long ago....

BRB

Edit

I found this...

http://ocpcc.blogspot.com/2006/06/revie ... rte-1.html
I never finished that review... Scroll to the bottom to see bios pics. I never used it but it was there.

On the Tforce I can't find it... but I'm sure it has it.

They will be a tad hard to find becasue 939 and 754 are discontinued. Well. pretty much.

Go to their websites and check the manuals. best way to be 100% sure.

tacosauce

Post by tacosauce » Fri Dec 01, 2006 7:51 pm

i think i'm gonna go with the biostar tforce 6100-939 cause amd lists it as supported for cool'n'quiet, and it's the cheapest of the 3 i've considered here

jackylman

Post by jackylman » Fri Dec 01, 2006 9:26 pm

MC FLMJIG wrote:No sempron on 939
Really? :wink:
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications ... CatId=2353&

That S939 Sempron always intrigued me. It's based off the Winchester core, so it should be able to go lower than 1.1V given the right mobo.

tacosauce

Post by tacosauce » Sun Dec 03, 2006 1:08 am

i was hoping to have a question answered so i dont accidentally buy items that dont match.

will the biostar tforce 6100-939 mobo connect to the stock power supply in the nsk 3300 ? i'm reading it has this: "Main 24-pin ATX power connector"

sorry, i just dont know much about building computers...would appreciate help on this

jaganath

Post by jaganath » Sun Dec 03, 2006 3:08 am

will the biostar tforce 6100-939 mobo connect to the stock power supply in the nsk 3300 ? i'm reading it has this: "Main 24-pin ATX power connector"
Yes.

Antec NSK 3300 Review

Also. according to that review you can fit an ATX power supply in there. Interesting....