Board Case or CPU Problem? New Build Please Help

New to PC silencing? Read & post your questions here. Dedicated to rosy_toes.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

frankd

Board Case or CPU Problem? New Build Please Help

Post by frankd » Fri Dec 15, 2006 8:19 am

I don't know if this is the right place for this, but I figure people here will have experience with these parts, since I bought most of them with recommendations from here.

I just build my first new computer in many years. Here is the build:

PSU: SeaSonic S12-380 ATX12V 380W Power Supply - Retail
CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E6400 Conroe 2.13GHz LGA 775 Processor Model
CASE: Antec Solo Black/Silver Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Retail
MB: BIOSTAR TForce965PT Socket T (LGA 775) Intel P965 Express ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail
VGA: GIGABYTE GV-NX79G256DP-RH GeForce 7900GS 256MB GDDR3 PCI Express x16 Video Card - Retail
HD: Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD5000KS 500GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM
RAM: Crucial 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 667 (PC2 5300) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model TY2KIT12864AA663 - Retail
Optical: DVD_BURN SAMSUNG|SH-S182D RAM BK % - OEM

Cooling
:
Scythe Ninja Rev B
2 Yate-Loon 120's
92mm Nexus Silent

So I put it all togerther and I am having 2 problems. I assume they are related.

If I turn the computer off, then turn it on after a while. It only comes "halfway" on. The fans will start, but the power/CPU lights, and the light on the optical drive won't come on. It will just sit there like this. No POST or anything.

If I power-cycle the computer, it will get into the BIOS, but as soon as it checks for the HD, the hard drive starts clicking. If I restart like 5 or so more times, or maybe re-plugin the PSU, I can get it to boot fine. Then the computer works completely normally until next time I shut it off.

I have heard there is a possiblility of a motherboard shorting to the case, so I unbuilt the computer and rebuild it outside the case. I did not have any extra spacers. It seemed to work fine. (I have had so little success trying so many things I am starting to second guess myself). I then put everything back in with my roomate overseeing the process as a sanity check. At first it seemed to fix the problem, but a day later the exact same symptoms returned.

If anyone has any ideas, please give me a hand.

shikimaru

Post by shikimaru » Sat Dec 16, 2006 3:58 pm

it could be worth trying it out with a different PSU.. that one seems kinda low, if it is struggling, that may explain the problems you are experiencing.

Maybe try it out with a 500W seasonic..see how it goes :)

oh and

WELCOME TO SPCR!!

jaganath

Post by jaganath » Sat Dec 16, 2006 4:13 pm

it could be worth trying it out with a different PSU.. that one seems kinda low
I seriously doubt the PSU is the problem (unless it is a defective unit), his max power consumption is well below 200W.

Once the computer is up and running, check everything; use Memtest to check the RAM, SMART info for the hard drive, etc. What kind of temps are you getting? all within normal range?

frankd

Post by frankd » Sun Dec 17, 2006 9:48 am

Thanks for the input guys!

I was getting some errors in Memtest on test 5 and 9. I read that these were usally problems with timings and not bad memory. I shut off the automagic timings and set it to 4-4-4-12 and then memtest would repeatedly run clean. (Also removed some fatal errors I would get in Warcraft III.)

I just downloaded HDTune. I am not familiar with it, but it says 'Ok' under all items in the status selection. It says the HD temp is 33C.

Using this really ugly Biostar tool it says it the CPU is 25C. It was just beeping at me until I lowered the VBAT threshold. I don't know what that is or what that means. My VBAT is at 3.23V and the default warning threshold was was making an alarm sound for it. Is this abnormal?

My current solution is just leave the computer on. I've been up for a few days of normal use and everything is fine. It's just something weird on a cold boot :(

jackylman

Post by jackylman » Sun Dec 17, 2006 10:14 am

The Crucial Memory Advisor Tool doesn't list that kit as being compatible with the board.

Did you bump the RAM voltage to 2.2V before trying to run 3-3-3-12 or even 4-4-4-12? The default is 1.8V so that might keep your system from booting.

frankd

Post by frankd » Mon Dec 18, 2006 9:35 am

Hmm nice idea. I tried setting the RAM voltage to 2.2V and shutting computer off for a couple hours. Turned it back on, it went 'half-on' then to clicky-clicky. :(

I got idea for that RAM from http://www.anandtech.com/mb/showdoc.aspx?i=2871&p=4 and saw it had decent potential, but I must have glazed over the 2.2V part as I am not overclocking anything currently.

jackylman

Post by jackylman » Mon Dec 18, 2006 9:58 am

Sorry that didn't work. At the very least, you should now be able to run your RAM at its rated timings without getting Memtest errors or errors in Warcraft.

Another idea: I did a build for my brother using the same board. When I first started it up, I got the same "half-on" state you describe with the fans and some lights and nothing else (don't remember any HD clicking though). It turned out to be the 24-pin power connector not being plugged in tight enough and/or the wires being crimped under the CPU heatsink. The next time you have problems, try pushing on the connector to make sure it's tight and/or jiggling the wires leading to it.

aqm consultant

Post by aqm consultant » Mon Dec 18, 2006 1:54 pm

Clicking hard drives are not good. I had that problem shortly before complete drive failure :( . I also had a "won't boot reliably" problem that was caused by crummy IDE drive cables. Check all cable connections -- power and data. Good luck!

frankd

Post by frankd » Wed Dec 20, 2006 8:13 pm

Yeah I've read HDs can click before they die. This drive is new, and the clicking only happens under the circumstances I described, but I suppose I can't rule out a faulty drive.

Thanks for the suggestions. I am out of state for the holidays, but I will try them in a week or so when I get back.

Happy holidays all.

frankd

Post by frankd » Fri Jan 26, 2007 5:50 pm

Sorry to dig up and old thread, but here are the latest developments:

I took the board + PSU out of the case, and systematically tested everything by disconnecting it and seeing if the problem would go away. I deemed the problem to be the PSU.

I took the PSU out of my roomate's computer and it booted the computer normally. So I was pretty sure my PSU was the problem and I went through the RMA process and got a new Seasonic.

I just got my new one, hooked it up, and same problem... I tried adding a 2nd hard drive, but as hinted at in http://www.silentpcreview.com/article28-page5.html but to no avail. Could the PSU just not work well with this board?

The only other PSU's I have spare are 20 pin instead of 24? I plugged one in temporarily and the computer seemed to work, but is it a good way to run it like this? Any advice on buying a new PSU (silent) that might work? Or just use my spare?

jaganath

Post by jaganath » Sat Jan 27, 2007 2:50 am

Sorry to hear that the problem was not resolved by RMA.
Could the PSU just not work well with this board?
Yes, that is a possibility. There used to be problems with Seasonic PSU and DFI MB, because DFI mbs demanded excessive +5Vsb, but this is the first time I have heard of problems with Biostar MB.
The only other PSU's I have spare are 20 pin instead of 24? I plugged one in temporarily and the computer seemed to work, but is it a good way to run it like this?
The extra 4 pins supply extra juice for power-hungry GFX cards, your 7900GS uses <50W, so you shouldn't have any problems (famous last words! :lol: ).

frankd

Post by frankd » Sat Jan 27, 2007 12:41 pm

I went to the store and bought a 550 Neo HE and now everything seems to work fine.

So to reiterate incase anyone else has an unlucky similar situation:

In my system a Seasonic S12 380W did not play nice with my Biostart 956PT.

Thanks for all the help guys!