Is Antec P180 Case is recommended with Corsair HX520W PSU ?

New to PC silencing? Read & post your questions here. Dedicated to rosy_toes.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

renam00

Is Antec P180 Case is recommended with Corsair HX520W PSU ?

Post by renam00 » Sat Jan 06, 2007 5:36 pm

Hi,

I'am in the process of building a silent PC. After research, I found that a very good case is the P180 and a very good PSU is the HX520W. But...

I notice that the 120 mm PSU fan is located at the top (bottom?) of the HX520W. This is different from a fan located at the back of a PSU, as for the ANTEC NeoHE 500 for example.

I'm wondering is the fact the fan is at the top of the PSU is counter productive in the P180 case. It seems that the P180 is design to create an horizontal air tunnel in the bottom of the case. In that perspective, would it be better the have a PSU with a fan at the back that push air in the tunnel direction instead of creating a perpendicular air flow ?

Do this make sense of I'm reading too much review ? :shock:

Thanks for your tought and Happy New Year !!

NeilBlanchard

Post by NeilBlanchard » Sat Jan 06, 2007 5:48 pm

Hello & welcome to SPCR,

This type of PS works just fine in the P180. So folks have found that blocking the grill around the PS helps cool things better, and also to possibly run it w/o the fan in the middle of the chamber.

Bories36

Post by Bories36 » Sat Jan 06, 2007 7:44 pm

well it does work, the 120mm faces down actually, and theres a little space there, so it doesnt even connect to the upper chamber.

renam00

Post by renam00 » Sun Jan 07, 2007 7:02 am

Hi,

Ok so it seems that I do read too much review !! I was just worried that the bottom-oriented fan of the PSU had not enough space in the bottom to get its air. It seems that you make it work succesfully anyway.

For the middle fan, I think the Off-Low-Med-High setting would depend on the required operating temperature of the HD.

Thanks,

renam

jjwa

Post by jjwa » Thu Jan 18, 2007 6:36 am

renam00 wrote:Hi,

Ok so it seems that I do read too much review !! I was just worried that the bottom-oriented fan of the PSU had not enough space in the bottom to get its air. It seems that you make it work succesfully anyway.

For the middle fan, I think the Off-Low-Med-High setting would depend on the required operating temperature of the HD.

Thanks,

renam
I have two WD 5000KS (well, had, one seems to have died, but that is not the point) running in the lower chamber, together with a Corsair HX620, and when running the fan at the low setting my hard drives are reported as 37 degrees celcius, SpeedFan online information tolds me 39 is average for this drive. So in short: even at low fan setting it's cooler then the average drive :).

And blocking the grill around the PSU sounds like a good idea as well, making more air go through it.