thanks all

New to PC silencing? Read & post your questions here. Dedicated to rosy_toes.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

song airen

thanks all

Post by song airen » Thu Feb 22, 2007 9:01 pm

My first post and just writing to say thanks SPCR!

I've been reading and searching posts on this forum for the past week trying to configure a budget-midrange gaming system from components available here in Australia.

This forum has been very comprehensive and a huge help in figuring stuff out; especially not being particularly computer savvy myself.

In the end I decided on this system:

Asus P5B Deluxe Wifi
Core 2 Duo 6300
Antec p150 w/PSU
Thermalright HR-01-775 Passive CPU Cooler
Samsung 250Gb 8Mb SATA II
Powercolor X1950Pro 256Mb Arctic Cooling PCI-E
Sony DVD-RW
2 x 1Gb Kingston 667 ram
2x VANTEC STEALTH SF12025L 120mm CASE FAN

From what I could gather on this site and online reviews these appeared to be the most silent components I could get at top value prices.

I'll let you know how it all goes when the parts arrive and it gets built!

Exciting!

firebane

Post by firebane » Thu Feb 22, 2007 9:14 pm

I would have gone with a Seagate drive and a nvidia card, but you'll be happy either way.

Asus p5b is a wicked board thats been tried and true time and time again along with the gigabyte 965-ds3

Shadowknight

Post by Shadowknight » Thu Feb 22, 2007 10:14 pm

Dude, dump the stealths, DUMP THEM NOW. They're crap. Crap crap crap. I've had them, I know. Everyone else on this forum agrees that at most, MAYBE the 80mm is okay.

Get some Yate Loons, you'll be happier, especially if you couple them with a fan controller or use speed fan to undervolt them.

where?wolf

Post by where?wolf » Fri Feb 23, 2007 12:50 pm

Yeah, I agree. The only "stealthy" thing about the Vantec Stealth fans, is the colour. I have had both an 80mm and a 120mm Vantec Stealth. Yay!

Get Akasa amber series fans, Aerocool 3000 Turbine, Noctua, Nexus or Yate Loons. And you will be a lot happier.
The rest of the stuff seems nice.

What case?

song airen

Post by song airen » Sat Apr 28, 2007 6:43 pm

well i mentioned I'd post back when it was finally built so...

took ur advice wolf and shadow- dropped the vantecs for nexus real silent.

realised after i got the case that there is only one mount for 120mm fans.

ran it with the real-silent then chose to try the antec tri-cool it was stocked with. The antec had a similiar noise level but was more low pitched, so i swapped out the real silent and now have the stock fan back in. (so ended up with 4 spare fans :p)

The system is very very quiet- if someone walks into the room without knowing the computer is on they will not hear it. You can hear it if you listen hard for it though.

Just a note about the suspension system for HDD- I put initially put 6 twists in before inserting the HDD because I was suss on the security of the disc. This made the elastic quite tight and the HDD much noisier- later I changed over the elastics and reinserted the disc with one twist and it became significantly quieter (security of disc isnt much different either). adjustments, adjustments......

I'm happy with it :) ATM my monitor and subwoofer are so much louder, esp. the sub (will replace)

so thx again :)

* btw i connected the nexus to the motherboard header and the fan doesn't seem to vary speed at all. So the throttling feature seems a bit useless. The tri-cool i connected to the Neo PSU instead; it's set to low and the CPU sits in the 30-40 degree range in standby and under a gaming load. There are no intake fans atm.

NeilBlanchard

Post by NeilBlanchard » Sun Apr 29, 2007 4:25 am

Hello,

You probably have to go into the BIOS for fan control settings. Another option is to stick in a few of the HD screws (on the bottom?), to keep the HD from sliding out of the bands.

rjhythloday

hi

Post by rjhythloday » Sat May 05, 2007 5:34 am

been lurking, finally took the case apart for some silent tricks learned here. Just thought I'd say hi, and thanks.

Bob