What do you guys think of this case?

New to PC silencing? Read & post your questions here. Dedicated to rosy_toes.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Charuto

What do you guys think of this case?

Post by Charuto » Mon Apr 09, 2007 9:47 pm

Eagle Tech ET-CAKSR4500-BK

newegg link http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6811117080

I keep the the side panels off my current case because things get hot due to poor airflow. It's pretty messy looking. I was looking at an Antec Solo; I really like that case but it's hard waiting for it to go on sale at a decent price (shipping killed the last deal). The design on the Eagle Tech looks pretty good. The main complaints seem to be the power supply (which I have no need for) and its flimsiness. Does that sound like something I could work around or should I just keep waiting on the Solo?

kater

Post by kater » Mon Apr 09, 2007 10:50 pm

Yeah, get rid of the PSU. And don't give it to a friend cause you'll loose a friend.
Thin sheets mean lots of vibrations and generally poor sound dampening.
Seems like you can suspend HDD's in the bottom part of the cage - nice.
Place for a big 12cm fan in the rear - goody.
Side panel vents - no good. Better seal them up as they won't help much in terms of cooling and only let the noise out.
Front vertical edge "vents" are a mystery - is this for real (like in Solo?) or is it just for looks? If there really is some way to let air in thru them - goody.
$30 - you get what you pay for. I'd wait for the Solo, but if you really can't wait or don't have the moolah, that Eagle looks not unreasonable.

Sylph-DS

Post by Sylph-DS » Tue Apr 10, 2007 2:23 am

I wouldn't risk it, even if its only 30 bucks. It may be that they're not popular/existant in Europe, but I've never heard of them, which for me is a massive reason not to trust it.

I say go for the solo, I ordered it 3 days ago ;)

IsaacKuo

Post by IsaacKuo » Tue Apr 10, 2007 4:38 am

This depends on what you're objectives are. The quality of that case looks similar to a couple dirt cheap cases I got from NewEgg--very cheap! Very tinny! If you breath on it wrong while tightening the rear case screws, you'll strip what little there is for the screws to grab onto!

But the fact that I bought a second one of those cases says that at least it was adequate.

How many hard drives do you have? Because you won't be able to remove the hard drive cage to get enough room to suspend more than maybe two drives. Even if you wanted to rudely rip the cage out, it'll reduce the structural integrity of the case too much.

Now, it LOOKS like the front intakes are for real. If so, then this case has that positive going for it (adequate intake airflow for the hard drive).

Other than that, be aware that your computer will look cheap and tinny, and feel very rickety. Be GENTLE when screwing/unscrewing the side panel screws.

Charuto

Post by Charuto » Tue Apr 10, 2007 11:42 pm

Thanks for the replies. I'm going to take y'alls advice wait around for another Solo deal. The design is comparable (front intake is real), but considering the sturdiness and extras of the Solo, I'd only be settling if I got the Eagle Tech.

psiu

Post by psiu » Sat Apr 14, 2007 3:22 pm

Not a bad looking case. I would probably buy it. I would also then end up spending the money I saved in stuff to make it quiet, and faaaar more time than I would have needed if I had just bought an Antec to begin with.

But it's whatever amuses you :D