Weird 3.3 output

New to PC silencing? Read & post your questions here. Dedicated to rosy_toes.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

jpp1jpp1

Weird 3.3 output

Post by jpp1jpp1 » Mon May 28, 2007 7:29 am

I was using this great Software, PC Wizard 2007 and one thing surprised me.

It was telling me my PSU was outputting 1.28 V in my 3.3V output (Winbond W83627HF as monitoring chip)! I suppose this must be a sensor reading error as this old machine (2 years) has been working ok 24 hours a day without power issues. Is this common?

Being that this machine is working as a server, I don't want to open the case, do you guys know of a Software that at least read the watts that the installed PSU has? I want to buy a spare PSU as in my experience this is the first thing that comes down in a machine. (specially in this old server without brand).

Thanks in advance.

Mr Evil

Re: Weird 3.3 output

Post by Mr Evil » Mon May 28, 2007 8:02 am

jpp1jpp1 wrote:...It was telling me my PSU was outputting 1.28 V in my 3.3V output (Winbond W83627HF as monitoring chip)!..
It's quite common for some software to be unable to correctly read some monitoring chips, either because they don't know how for that specific chip, or because the motherboard manufacturer has wired it up in a non-standard way. Try some different software.

jpp1jpp1 wrote:...do you guys know of a Software that at least read the watts that the installed PSU has?...
PSUs have no way of communicating with the computer, so unfortunately you cannot read anything about them in software other than what the monitoring chip on the motherboard provides. You're not going to harm the computer by just pulling the side panel off, and most PSUs have the label right where you can see it from the side.

jpp1jpp1

Post by jpp1jpp1 » Mon May 28, 2007 8:30 am

Ty for answering.

What software would you recommend me for reading the output voltage? I've installed SpeedFan (IIRC) in another computer but found it too intrusive (it left a undeletable file in my desktop).

Mr Evil

Post by Mr Evil » Tue May 29, 2007 2:00 pm

I usually use SpeedFan or whatever utility came with the motherboard; I don't have enough experience with other software to really make a good recommendation.

Motherboard Monitor has always been popular, but is not actively developed anymore. nVidia nTune is a possibility if you have one of the few motherboards it supports (it won't read a thing from mine, despite the nVidia chipset). Everest Ultimate is supposed to be good, but is not free. SiSoft Sandra can read voltages, but is rather a large program to use just for that.

If you really want to be sure what voltage the PSU is outputting, a multimeter is the most reliable way.