Recommondation fan controller Zalman fan and 120mm case fans

New to PC silencing? Read & post your questions here. Dedicated to rosy_toes.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Milzit

Recommondation fan controller Zalman fan and 120mm case fans

Post by Milzit » Sat Aug 04, 2007 4:52 am

I have one Zalman CPU fan on my AMD 6400+, with a manual adjustment box. Also I have two case fans 120MM, and one for the hardisk bay(Raptor X).
It it possible to connect these fans to fan controller that adjust the RPM according to the temp? Or is this an manual operation?

Also as mentined in another tread I was thinking about a Seasonic S12 PSU, but maybe I can use a passive one instead? (Graphic card Geforce 7900 GTX)

laguz1

Post by laguz1 » Sat Aug 04, 2007 5:35 pm

I probably wouldn't go for a passive PSU, but the seasonic's are very quiet.

default fan controllers on the mobo adjust the rpm according to the temp, but lots of people find it easier to manually adjust...

The Zalman ZM-MFC1 is a popular one, and the new ZM-MFC2 looks pretty spiffy with the color lcd/temp/rpm/power usage meters, but it's kinda expensive.. :?
http://www.performance-pcs.com/catalog/ ... s_id=21982

What case fans do you have? and kind of Zalman do you have?

Milzit

Post by Milzit » Sun Aug 05, 2007 2:06 pm

Thank you. I will try the Seasonic S12. The PSU is the noise that is irritating me. I think it is the PSU, I have tried stopping the other fans and they don't make much noise. It's not a super-silent PC I have anyway. I bught the fans and the Zalman 1 1/2 year ago.. I don't see any model number at the Zalman, just printed "Quiet CPU cooler, 2-Balls bearing". The label on the fans says "Adda DC Brushless model AD121DB-A73GL. Sorry, I don't the invoice..

But this fan controller cannot read the CPU temp and adjust the Zalman CPU cooler?

Also I went for a more faster than silent disk when I bought this 1 1/2 year ago, the Raptor X. And it was making a lot of noise when working, but after putting it in a rubber mounted bay I don't notise it anymore. I'm also very happy with the stock cooler of Geforce 7900GTX, the GT card is making a lot more noise.

laguz1

Post by laguz1 » Sun Aug 05, 2007 5:20 pm

well, the MFC1 version doesn't monitor temps - you just spin the knob to increase speed. most people who use this know their fan's rpm and can estimate how fast it needs to run to cool their system.

the MFC2 has rpm, and temp display, but i don't think it can adjust rpm according to temp...

that fan controller is on the $$$ side though

Milzit

Post by Milzit » Mon Aug 06, 2007 12:41 pm

ok, thank you. The S-12 should be on its way now. After changing the PSU I think the Lian Li 5 1/4" hard drive bay with rubber mounting will be the loudest noise source, the fan make some noise. But I have been running without this fan (also without any case fans...), but at least with the case fans running it should not be necessary with a fan on the Raptor-X hard drive? I guess t’s not possible to monitor the temp on the hard drive.

But case fans (one in, and one out) is recommended to use?

laguz1

Post by laguz1 » Tue Aug 07, 2007 10:15 am

you can monitor temps on a HD - you'll need to place one of those thermal sensors that come w/ some fan controllers and just tape it onto the side of the raptor

i would have at least one case fan blowing in, and one blowing out

if you need quiet fans, spcr has tons of forums on that, but i prefer yate loons (D12SL-12's), but since you're at Norway....the Noiseblocker Blacksilents are good too, since those fans only seem to appear in Europe

Nexus is always a safe route too, but its basically a more $$$ version of YL

Milzit

Post by Milzit » Tue Aug 07, 2007 12:53 pm

laguz1 wrote:I probably wouldn't go for a passive PSU, but the seasonic's are very quiet.

default fan controllers on the mobo adjust the rpm according to the temp, but lots of people find it easier to manually adjust...

The Zalman ZM-MFC1 is a popular one, and the new ZM-MFC2 looks pretty spiffy with the color lcd/temp/rpm/power usage meters, but it's kinda expensive.. :?
http://www.performance-pcs.com/catalog/ ... s_id=21982

What case fans do you have? and kind of Zalman do you have?
I don't find the ZM-MFC1 here in Norway, but the http://www.aerocool.us/p-peripheral/pow ... atch.html. Aerocool PowerWatch looks also very nice. I also need a memory card reader. But I only have one 5 1/4 bay free, but if change to a rubber mounting for the hard drive that is not taking two 5 1/4 bays, I will have enough space

Milzit

Post by Milzit » Tue Aug 07, 2007 12:57 pm

laguz1 wrote:you can monitor temps on a HD - you'll need to place one of those thermal sensors that come w/ some fan controllers and just tape it onto the side of the raptor

i would have at least one case fan blowing in, and one blowing out

if you need quiet fans, spcr has tons of forums on that, but i prefer yate loons (D12SL-12's), but since you're at Norway....the Noiseblocker Blacksilents are good too, since those fans only seem to appear in Europe

Nexus is always a safe route too, but its basically a more $$$ version of YL
I didn't find the Noiseblocker Blacksilents, but we have the Nexus here. Also I read a test in a Norwegian site with different 120mm fans and one of them was Nexus. It was not much in difference in the noise level.
And a fan controller will probably help that I can run on lower RPM.

I guess I can disconnect the hard drive fan on my Lian Li bay http://www.microplex.no/product.aspx?pid=EX23B&mcat=c95, and running with the two case fans.