1st Post: Info not found after searching - XPS 200 related

New to PC silencing? Read & post your questions here. Dedicated to rosy_toes.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

inivid

1st Post: Info not found after searching - XPS 200 related

Post by inivid » Thu Aug 09, 2007 8:16 am

I came across this site while searching for a solution to my XPS 200's cooling issues.

I'm going to yank the existing heat sink and throw some new cooling gel on it for the time being, but I want to know what my options are for swapping out to a more effective LGA775 cooling system.

For those who are not familiar with the XPS' layout:
There's a plastic shroud that covers the heatsink, that butts up against the fan when installed...
The shroud snuggly fits around the heatsink...
...and the fan sits near the vent at the front.

I do not know the size of the fan, but I do know that the case is around 94mm wide edge to edge. I've got to pull it all apart and check it out.

Whatever you can suggest is great.

inivid

Post by inivid » Thu Aug 09, 2007 11:23 am

24 views and counting.....

anyone? :?

jaganath

Post by jaganath » Thu Aug 09, 2007 12:22 pm

if the motherboard has standard LGA775 mounting pins (Dell are known to use proprietary arrangmenets) then you can mount any heatsink that fits within the restricted confines of the case. I can see why you have cooling problems, your CPU doesn't support speedstep.

aaa

Post by aaa » Thu Aug 09, 2007 5:29 pm

I doubt getting another heatsink will help much, that shroud funneling fresh air in is a good thing, and you'd presumably have to get rid of it to install something different, issue of finding an something that fits aside.

What problems were you having?

Maybe switching to a 9xx series Pentium? I hear they run cooler.

inivid

Post by inivid » Thu Aug 09, 2007 10:41 pm

aaa wrote:What problems were you having?
Typical XPS 200 issue... if I were to tip it up on it's face, I'm confident it would hover precariously a couple inches above the ground due fan speeds. I'm just sick of having a Hoover sitting in my desk. Time to change it up. Hence why I'm researching my options.

I'm not exactly home in the States right now, so, I'll comment more when I'm able to actually work on it. I don't want to speculate too much, in regards to what I can and can't do. But I will say that I don't think the shroud is going to be much of an issue.

I basically just need a lead on silent, hi-output fans and quality heatsinks. Thanks in advance.

I'll post again when I get back to the States.

jaganath

Post by jaganath » Fri Aug 10, 2007 12:37 am

silent, hi-output fans
sorry, these don't exist. most (if not all) quiet fans are quiet because they don't give out much air, the trick is to configure your PC so that it doesn't need as much airflow. this is not really possible with your current CPU. also all the really good heatsinks are massive and will likely not fit in the XPS200 case.

aaa

Post by aaa » Fri Aug 10, 2007 3:13 am

First thing is to make sure it isn't clogged with dust.

Then look in the bios for voltage options, though I highly doubt there are any.
Another thing you can do to lower the voltage is a 'pinmod' (yeah it doesn't have pins but the concept still applies), but most people balk at that.

IMO the easiest solution is a different cpu. I'm sure a 915 cpu is pretty cheap, w/ twice the cache of yours and EIST (<-could make a big difference).

inivid

Post by inivid » Fri Aug 10, 2007 10:48 am

Yes, there is no such thing as a "silent" cooling fan. I should have said, "quiet" instead. ;)

With that said, the largest contributing factors to fan noise are resonance and frequency.

I'm first upgrading to a more efficient fan, and thermal gel, thus reducing frequency. Then, moddifying the chassis to reduce resonance. At this point, I can't really say much about my heatsink, as I'm not home to really check it's dimensions and work my options.

But... (Efficient Fan = Lower Frequency) + Reduced Resonance = Less Noise ...theoretically. :lol:

The interior is dusted routinely, but I've got to admit...
As attractive as the vent on the front is, it's fairly restrictive and is being removed when I get home. A Dremel may come into play there, as I'm not sure if there's an open hole beind those slats, or if the chassis is just "swiss-cheesed".

Afterwards, I'll do all of the mods needed to kill as much resonance as I can. It's a really solid chassis, but there are a few spots that resonate freely and a couple places where there's some buzzing. Aside from those places, my focus will be the areas of contact between the fan, chassis, and where the heatshield comes into contact with the fan.

This is just a start, as I may eventually end up replacing the processor with a cooler one. But in the meantime...Any tips on what I just described? :D

Additionally, regarding a stand-alone fan and cooling gel, any suggestions? I'm fairly sure the fan is a 90-92mm unit. Thanks again. 8)

tehfire

Post by tehfire » Fri Aug 10, 2007 2:09 pm

From the pictures you posted it looks like your computer is BTX...not sure as to how compatible aftermarket heatsinks would be.

So it looks like the heatsink has to stay. The only thing you can really do is change out the thermal paste and the fan (if the fan's swappable). Arctic Silver 5 has been the de facto thermal paste for years, though there are a few competing products out there.

As for the fan, you could use a Scythe Minebea fan. They come in 80mm and 92mm sizes. If they do fit, these would work nicely. Since I really don't know what you consider quiet, I'd recommend getting a higher-speed version and a Zalman Fanmate 2 so you can change the fan speed as you see fit.