Just a simple introduction and a question :D

New to PC silencing? Read & post your questions here. Dedicated to rosy_toes.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

IKIKUINTHENUTZ

Just a simple introduction and a question :D

Post by IKIKUINTHENUTZ » Fri Aug 17, 2007 11:53 pm

Hello all, first post 8)

Just a simple introduction, I am a computer entuisist who has just recently hit with the curiosity of having a slient pc. I commonly post on 2 other sites ocforums and xtremesystems and now I have decided to join this excellent forum to learn more on my hobby. Of course I came here because I am just sick of hearing fans, noise, and hard drives and seeking knowledge to shut those things up :P . Of course before joining, ive looked around to see if these forums are going to be worthwhile and it seems so far I like it :) .

Of course here is my first question and story.

I recently bought some sound damping foam made by sonex from mnpctech, however this foam does not come with a adhesive backing which is kinda a good thing however questions how I mount it. I know adhesive sprays like elmers or 3m are to be one of the best methods of adherting foam to the metal however due to the case's cost, I do not want such permement solution.

So I bought this from where I work at

ACE Exterior Mounting Tape (Scotch tape oem)

Ok my question is, is this a good non permament solution?
or is this a bad idea which will not damp my case sound but ampilfy it in some sort of way like vibrations or increasing sound, or others like rendering my foam useless?

if this is not a good idea or if there is a better non perm solution, please tell :idea:

Bluefront
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Bluefront » Sat Aug 18, 2007 4:06 am

IMHO.....using a non-permanent method to mount that sort of foam is the best way. No doubt you'll want to make changes in the future. I'd place a few patches of something like duct tape, and attach the foam to the tape with some sort of glue, maybe even instant glue would work.. This sort of attachment could peel off without hurting the case or the foam.

Mounted like this, it'll work as well as gluing the whole foam panel solidly to the case.

Welcome to SPCR......a good place to learn about quiet stuff. :D

NyteOwl

Post by NyteOwl » Sat Aug 18, 2007 3:50 pm

Some of the silicone based hot glues, or even most silicone sealer/adhesive in a tube can often give a good non-permanent adhesion as it can be easily pealed from the surface (of the metal at elast) at a later date.

IKIKUINTHENUTZ

Post by IKIKUINTHENUTZ » Sun Aug 19, 2007 7:55 pm

Well now I have a 2nd question

I couldnt find a answer for this in search option so im going to ask

Is it a good idea to put a sound damping mat on top of another sound damping mat?

Im thinking of putting daynamat extreme first then Sonex foam over it
Is this a good idea? (I dont care about weight)

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Sun Aug 19, 2007 10:09 pm

IKIKUINTHENUTZ wrote:Is it a good idea to put a sound damping mat on top of another sound damping mat?

Im thinking of putting daynamat extreme first then Sonex foam over it
Is this a good idea? (I dont care about weight)
The 2 have different functions. Dynamat deadens the panel, makes it a bit more sound proof (harder for sound to go through it). Sonex absorbs sound, mostly well above 500Hz. It helps reduce air resonance and reflections in the PC. But note: Dynamat is pretty much unremovable.

Giving us all the details of your setup (psu, case, etc, etc) will help us help you better.

Bluefront
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Bluefront » Mon Aug 20, 2007 2:26 am

Yeah that Dynamat-type stuff is nasty, and impossible to remove or even reposition while doing the install. I only use the stuff on very thin panels.

Here's another solution I use......carpet floor tiles. They are very heavy, stand up on edge without sagging, and are composed of layers of foam and carper fibers. If cut properly, they can be wedged in place without adhesive. And they work well for sound reduction. You can find them in large squares, which can be cut exactly the right size.

IKIKUINTHENUTZ

Post by IKIKUINTHENUTZ » Mon Aug 20, 2007 8:50 am

hmm

Taking ideas from those 2 posts

What about puting down a 100% vinyl backing on to the surface first then I put sonex on top of that

Where can I just buy the vinyl backing itself?

Also I found this, is this a good alternative compare to vinyl backing?
http://www.rubbercal.com/elephant_bark.html

I have 5 giant sheets of sonex so I really dont want them to go to waste :(

the case I am using a Tagan A+ black pearl (lian li oem)
The power supply is a thermaltake toughpower 750w (Channel well built) I got it really cheap and the deal was too good to pass up

nwrigley

Post by nwrigley » Wed Aug 22, 2007 7:38 pm

Welcome to the forum!

Konnetikut

Post by Konnetikut » Wed Aug 22, 2007 8:23 pm

nwrigley wrote:Welcome to the forum!
Welcome to SPCR to you too!

IKIKUINTHENUTZ

Post by IKIKUINTHENUTZ » Wed Aug 22, 2007 9:52 pm

nwrigley wrote:Welcome to the forum!

I was hoping this replay came before the answer to my question