Embarassing newbie question about fans

New to PC silencing? Read & post your questions here. Dedicated to rosy_toes.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Nudel

Embarassing newbie question about fans

Post by Nudel » Wed Sep 12, 2007 1:39 pm

So I'm rebuilding my computer to make it more silent, and as I'm fiddling with cable management (which I'm horrible at) and cursing the unruly cables coming out of my Nexus fan I got to wondering:

Does the 3pin connector that I connect to the motherboard provide power?

What I've done now is I've connected my fans to the motherboard and then also connected the big 4pin connectors. Now I wonder if I've done it wrong all this time.

I've googled for a good half hour without finding any information at all, seemingly this is such basic knowledge that I feel like a bumbling fool.
I thought that the article anatomy of a fan would help me, but while it was informative it didn't talk about those things.

So please help me spcr, what are the workings of a fan (especially the nexus real silent 120mm)? What parts do in reality go where and if some parts are useless, can I somehow cut them off? (though live bared wires inside my computer would spell doom, I'm sure).

I'm trying to emulate cmthompsons exquisite build but I can't figure out how the cables go at all. So tips on cable management would be appreciated as well.

I know this is asking a lot, but I suddenly feel like a big fool.

Thank you in advance.

Matija

Post by Matija » Wed Sep 12, 2007 1:44 pm

Uhm... Yes, you've done it wrong :)

merlin
Friend of SPCR

Post by merlin » Wed Sep 12, 2007 2:05 pm

Connect either the 3 pin or 4 pin, do not connect both as this is redundant. Yes you could probably cut the other one off, but it's better to just ziptie the other part up so it's not in the way.