Putting together a computer...

New to PC silencing? Read & post your questions here. Dedicated to rosy_toes.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Fred

Putting together a computer...

Post by Fred » Fri Jan 18, 2008 6:12 pm

First of all, hello all!

I'm sitting here with my old premade computer, and the last months i've lurked about here and gathered knowledge about all sorts of computer hardware to be able to put together my first non-premade build, and now it's time to put that knowledge to the test. :P

So, i had something like this in mind:

Antec P182 - Well, not much to say here. Seemed like a good choice.

Core 2 Duo E8400 - Seems like a really nice CPU.

Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3 - I was lost out in the motherboard jungle when someone pointed me to this one. : P

Corsair TWIN C4DHX XMS2-6400 2x1GB - Nothing to add really...

GeForce 8600GTS Passive - Seems fairly good, I won't need uber graphics.

Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 500GB - Nothing special to add here.

Be Quiet! Straight Power 350W

Parts with lesser importance.
Asus DVD±RW Dual-Layer S-ATA
Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Xtreme Audio

Now, about cooling. I was thinking about a thermalright ultra 120 extreme for the CPU... And the fan for that, i'm a litttle unsure of... I was thinking about a noctua nf-p12, but, 1) it doesn't exist in the store where i'm buying the rest of the parts, and 2) a thread here suggests that it is overhyped. A good substitute, anyone?

Thanks on beforehand ;)
Last edited by Fred on Sun Jan 20, 2008 8:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

NeilBlanchard

Post by NeilBlanchard » Fri Jan 18, 2008 8:55 pm

Hello Fred & welcome to SPCR,

The P182 is nice, but so is the Solo. In fact, the Solo has the option to suspend the hard drive(s), so it might be better; and it is easier to deal with.

The Seagate hard drives have slipped from the top of the heap to only fair to middlin'. Western Digital and Samsung are probably better choices.

As for CPU cooling, I prefer the Ninja (with a Thermalright backplate). They are coming with a Slipstream fan, which are quiet. And you need to be sure to get a passive 8600GTS. The Corsair is plenty of PSU -- a good 300watt unit (like the Fortron Source "Green") would also be fine.

Fred

Post by Fred » Sat Jan 19, 2008 5:25 am

Hi, thanks! ;)

The Solo does indeed look like a very good choice too. I'll think about that. And about the harddrive to. :P
Wouldn't the passive 8600GTS get very warm? If it doesn't terrible i suppose i could live with a fan... or just fix more air flow or something to it. I will also check for a smaller PSU.
Thanks! ;)

NeilBlanchard

Post by NeilBlanchard » Sat Jan 19, 2008 6:24 am

Hello,

The Gigabyte passive 8600GTS works very well. Cooler outside air is pulled into the heatsink fins (by the case exhaust fan), and it is cooled just fine. They would/could not sell it if it didn't work.

Fred

Post by Fred » Sat Jan 19, 2008 6:39 am

Well, i guess they would work well, but wouldn't the overall temp. in the computer rise?

Anyways, found a new PSU. A Be Quiet! Straight Power 350W... seems to be a good one.

NeilBlanchard

Post by NeilBlanchard » Sat Jan 19, 2008 6:34 pm

Hello Fred,

A chip gives off the same amount of heat whether it is passively cooled or actively cooled. So the method of cooling makes no difference in the amount of heat that is dissipated.

Do you have a link to that PSU?

Fayd

Post by Fayd » Sat Jan 19, 2008 8:22 pm

NeilBlanchard wrote:Hello Fred,

A chip gives off the same amount of heat whether it is passively cooled or actively cooled. So the method of cooling makes no difference in the amount of heat that is dissipated.

Do you have a link to that PSU?
for the most part, this is true.

however, if the chip is running too hot, it may be running less efficiently, and therefore consuming more wattage. (putting out more heat).

it's a small difference unless you're really gnat's assing, and if you do adequate passive cooling, it's a non-issue.

Dutchmm

Passive 8600 GTS

Post by Dutchmm » Sat Jan 19, 2008 9:40 pm

Well, i guess they would work well, but wouldn't the overall temp. in the computer rise?
I am running the MSI version of this GPU, passively cooled. I don't game, but using it to watch TV, or for photo editing, the temperature never goes over 49 - and it never goes much below 46 - the ambient temperature in my apartment would be in the 18C to 25C - depending on whether I can persuade my wife to open the window.

It doesn't prevent the Scythe S-Flex E from cooling my E6750 (running at 8*400) to an in-core temp of 34 - 38 at load (folding), for a fan speed of 700 to 775. BTW, I run linux, so these temperatures allegedly do not require correction; which is also why I cannot give any temps for CPU-Burn or Prime95 (the mersenne download seems to be permanently offline).

I can't tell you about the case fan speeds - I still have the Tri-Cools running on low; and they are functionally inaudible to me.

HTH

Fred

Post by Fred » Sun Jan 20, 2008 8:13 am

ok, i'll settle for a passively cooled model then. :lol:

I read somwhere here on SPCR's forum that one should have a negative airflow in the case for this card, to be effectively cooled i guess. Is this created by, for example, having more exhaust fans?

Oh, by the way, which of three Asus models is best?
8600GT 256 MB
8600GT 512 MB
8600GTS 256 MB

i guess it stands between GT 512 and GTS 256... anyone know which one is stronger?

NeilBlanchard

Post by NeilBlanchard » Sun Jan 20, 2008 10:30 am

Hello Fred,

Yes, that's how you get negative pressure in the case: the PSU and the case exhaust together will pull more air out of the case than a single (or no) intake fan. If you are using the P182, then you can use one or both exhaust fans in the top portion, vs none (or one) intake fan.

Strid

Post by Strid » Sun Jan 20, 2008 11:04 am

Fred wrote:ok, i'll settle for a passively cooled model then. :lol:

I read somwhere here on SPCR's forum that one should have a negative airflow in the case for this card, to be effectively cooled i guess. Is this created by, for example, having more exhaust fans?

Oh, by the way, which of three Asus models is best?
8600GT 256 MB
8600GT 512 MB
8600GTS 256 MB

i guess it stands between GT 512 and GTS 256... anyone know which one is stronger?
The GTS uses significantly more power than the GT, and the difference between 256 MB and 512 RAM is miniscule, because the relatively slow chip can't utilize the all of the 512 MB RAM, from what I've hear. I'd get the 8600GT, that is for sure. That one only uses about 40 Watts, the GTS is about 70 Watts, which is quite a difference when it comes to cooling it passively. Also, I'm not sure if the 512 MB model comes with GDDR3 RAM, but I think it's only GDDR2, and I know that the 256 MB is GDDR3, and I'd have 256 MB of GDDR3 over 512 MB of GDDR2 any day!

Fred

Post by Fred » Sun Jan 20, 2008 2:41 pm

NeilBlanchard wrote:A chip gives off the same amount of heat whether it is passively cooled or actively cooled. So the method of cooling makes no difference in the amount of heat that is dissipated.
What I tried to say was "Won't the heat have a harder time leaving the chassis if it doesn't have any helping fan?" but let's forget that. :P
NeilBlanchard wrote:Do you have a link to that PSU?
Here's the official page: http://www.be-quiet.net/be-quiet.net/ Couldn't get a link directly to the PSU due to their page design.
Couldn't find much about any Be Quiet! PSU in english... But the few people mentioning them usually say that they are good.

[Here's a translated direct link to that 350watt PSU.]

Strid: 30W is quiet a difference, think i'll stick to the 8600GT 256 MB then. I'm no die hard graphics dude, so i'll be fine. :)

Fred

Post by Fred » Tue Jan 29, 2008 7:54 am

Will the GA-P35-DS3 work out fine, even if it isn't rev 2.1? All revisions below it doesn't natively support 45nm as I understand it. Would I be able to start up windows and download a new BIOS version or would it refuse to even start?

[Edit] Don't know who put a google translation link in my post... it's really unnecessary though :lol: just press the british flag with "UK" next to it. :P