Zalman on Radon 8500 ( ZM 17 )

They make noise, too.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

DavdJ

Zalman on Radon 8500 ( ZM 17 )

Post by DavdJ » Sat Nov 30, 2002 2:43 am

I just purchased the Zalman ZM-17CU graphics chip cooler. I have a Radon 8500. I took off the fan, now I'm getting chicken about frezeeing the thinkg and twisting the old head sink off!! Any comments.

I got the fan too, is it needed.

I have the flower cooler, and it will fit on the same bracket.

Thanks for the help.

Dave

quokked

Post by quokked » Sun Dec 01, 2002 4:15 am

- is the heatsink thermal expoxied to the card? or are they using just thermal paste, I've had some video heatsinks that have been pretty stubborn.

-if are u thinking of taking if off the heatsink off then make sure u protect the Video Card PCB, by sticking something like cardboard on it

- the fan should be needed on top of the ZM17-Cu, on a radeon 8500, from what I heard it gets HOT! but u don't need a screaming fan on it though, a lo speed fan undervolted 80MM fan should be enuff. :)

bluehat

Re: Zalman on Radon 8500 ( ZM 17 )

Post by bluehat » Mon Dec 02, 2002 1:23 am

DavdJ wrote:I took off the fan, now I'm getting chicken about frezeeing the thinkg and twisting the old head sink off!! Any comments.
Old heat sink is glued? A good method is to take a pair of pliers, a quick and strong twist and heatsink goes off. No need to freeze the card.

hyum

Post by hyum » Mon Dec 02, 2002 8:05 pm

i've seen BGAs lifted off that way. not recommended.

gksam

Post by gksam » Tue Dec 03, 2002 2:37 am

I second that.

I put mine in a static bag, and put it in the freezer for 15 minutes. Then I unplugged the fan. I then put an old credit card on a free part of the board underneath the heatsink. Then I got a scredriver (flathead), and put it between, and just twisted the screw driver so it wedges the heatsink off.. and then the heatsink just pops right off.

Then I got a knife and started scraping at the hardened adhesive.. and used some rubbing alchol to clean it.

Then I just put the ZM17 as per instructions. I am also using a 5V Panaflo L1A blowing down on the heatsink just to be safe (its pretty much inaudiable within the case). The majority of the noise from my system is coming from a Seagate Cuda IV 80gig.

My Powersupply has 2 fans (low RPM fans) @ 7V.. and my CPU is a P3 with a Thermalright AX7 with a Panaflo @ 7V.

http://members.shaw.ca/e36/images/8500zalman17.jpg

[moderator edit]changed oversized image to a link[/moderator edit]

jaypers

Post by jaypers » Wed Dec 04, 2002 4:21 am

I've just removed the fan off my Radeon 8500 - much less difficult than it seems!

I've put a couple posts about it in the main forum about my scary experience (but succesful) which you may wish to check out. Although as a "first time heatsink remover" they will prob only be comforting rather than practically helpful...

Good luck, let us know how you get on!

DavdJ

Post by DavdJ » Sat Dec 07, 2002 2:57 am

Thanks to gksam;

Did the ziplock in the freezer, and the chip popped right off.

There were also some posts out in the main forum where it showed the credit card method. This is the one that I used.

Just one stock fan left, that is the north bridge. Its on pins, so it should not be that hard.

After that, on to the hard drives.

Thanks again.

Dave