Bad experience with Scan

Share your experiences about noisy computers and components, and vendors responses to your valid complaints.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee, Devonavar

doveman

Bad experience with Scan

Post by doveman » Thu Jun 24, 2010 2:17 pm

I recently had to return a faulty PSU to Scan, who've agreed that it was faulty and refunded me.

However, they're refusing to refund the postage costs I incurred returning it (£7), because they say the offered a free collection service. This service would have required me making myself available constantly from 9am to 5pm, which is impossible for me due to health problems.

This is all by the by though, as legally under the Distance Selling Regulations they are bound to reimburse me for reasonable costs incurred in returning faulty goods, as stated in the Office of Fair Trading's "A guide for businesses on distance selling - oft698" section 3.57
http://www.oft.gov.uk/shared_oft/busine ... oft698.pdf which states: "3.57 If the goods are faulty or do not comply with the contract, you will have to pay for their return whatever the circumstances."

Scan told me that if the goods were found not faulty, I would be liable for the collection costs of £15+VAT, so by sending the item back myself at a cost of only £7, I've saved them over £10. Unless that is, it doesn't actually cost them £15+VAT to collect items and they are making their customers pay unjustified and possibly unlawful charges.

I'm going to send them a Recorded letter explaining their legal obligations and warn them that if they still refuse to reimburse me I'll be reporting them to Trading Standards and the OFT and possibly suing them in the Small Claims Court, which will result in them having to pay my legal costs as well as the £7. Hopefully they'll do the right thing but I'll report back either way.