Help! $800.00 to spend on lap top, What to do?

More popular than ever, but some are still very noisy.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

G4_Music

Help! $800.00 to spend on lap top, What to do?

Post by G4_Music » Sun Dec 23, 2012 8:14 am

Question: What percentage of the $800.00 should go to the lap-top and what percentage should go for up-grades and future expand-ability in order to get the best bang for my buck (You know doing some home build myself)? I want to get the most powerful laptop for the money. example: speed, hard drive speed and capacity ram speed and capacity for present and future upgrade. processor speed, motherboard screen resolution and any thing you think would be more important. What brand is best bang for buck? etc...

Any help sure would be appreciate. I will be running adobe c6 and have 2 international websites. along with allot of other tech tool software. the total software I have in GB is 150 GB and plan to grow to 1 terabyte within the next year and one half.

I run wireless G and it's fast and would like to keep it that way.

Currently I have an Acer AOA 150 160 Mghz 1.5 GB ram 130 GB HD and 250 external HD. Should I sell any of these or integrate them with my new system?

Thanks.
G4_Music

Abula

Re: Help! $800.00 to spend on lap top, What to do?

Post by Abula » Sun Dec 23, 2012 11:31 am

G4_Music wrote:Question: What percentage of the $800.00 should go to the lap-top and what percentage should go for up-grades and future expand-ability in order to get the best bang for my buck (You know doing some home build myself)?
Laptops are mostly taken as they come, some sites do offer customization... like Dell, HP, Lenovo and some resellers of clevo, but its not like desktops where you can upgrade a lot of the parts, mostly what you can upgrade down the road are cpu, memory and hdds.
G4_Music wrote:I want to get the most powerful laptop for the money. example: speed, hard drive speed and capacity ram speed and capacity for present and future upgrade. processor speed, motherboard screen resolution and any thing you think would be more important. What brand is best bang for buck? etc...
If you want speed processing check first if you apps you gona use benefit from a multicore cpu, if they do, go with a quad core, ivy bridge (current intel gen) is very capable even for laptops. If you want a faster response laptop like initial load up or loading programs, get a ssd. You budget seems a little tight for looking for very fast laptop... but i think if you can make some comprises you should be fine.
G4_Music wrote:Any help sure would be appreciate. I will be running adobe c6 and have 2 international websites. along with allot of other tech tool software. the total software I have in GB is 150 GB and plan to grow to 1 terabyte within the next year and one half.
Laptop hdds are bearly in the 1tb mark, my suggestion is you need that much space in the laptop is get one that has dual hdds, so you can have an ssd for your OS/programs and 1tb hdd for storage.
G4_Music wrote:I run wireless G and it's fast and would like to keep it that way.
Most laptops come with wifi, and in the vast mayority come with N compabtible (G probably all come with it), worth mentioning that new standard is devoloping AC, that will be much faster in trasfer than N, so keep this in mind for the future, but for now imo, N wifi should be more than enough.

With that in mind, i suggest you get something like Sager NP3265 / Clevo W25AEF $750, its a 15.6'' Full HD 1920x1080, comes with ivy bridge dual core (can be upgraded for quad for $70), i woudl take 1tb 5400rpm to be used for storage (free upgrade), and swap the optical for Crucial M4 128gb for OS/programs (if you still need an optical get the USB external, i bearly use mine), i would probably invest on extra 4gb rams for $30, that should put it around $960.